Increase elf strength

Started by MeTekillot, October 20, 2018, 10:16:36 AM

Tolerance is its own skill.

Elves don't need more strength.
If anything, they need a bit more clan support in the 'rinth

But they are already one of the strongest races.
You can't attack what you can't see
And their learning speed is already disgustingly fast.
The man puts his tongued, grotesque, translucent groin rig on over his eyes.

Has there been a serious discussion about city elf clans and how to get one activated??? Thats all the race is really missing.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: titansfan on January 18, 2019, 02:40:30 PM
Has there been a serious discussion about city elf clans and how to get one activated??? Thats all the race is really missing.
I think staff has said they've been looking at it for a year + now.

Er.

They've said there are currently no plans to open city elf clans.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

January 18, 2019, 03:59:29 PM #105 Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:41:30 PM by RogueGunslinger
Playable city elf clans are an Armageddon joke at this point. They will never happen. Elves will ride before they get clans.

As a player just returning,  that makes me sad...
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 18, 2019, 03:59:29 PM
Playable city elf clans are an Armageddon joke at this point. They will never happen. Elves will ride before they get clans.

Care to speculate the reason for this?
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Quote from: roughneck on October 26, 2018, 04:37:14 PM
This thread really just highlights how far we've come as a species.

I mean, shelter/water/food/security are sooooo far from my day to day concerns, that I can focus some of my energy to debate with other internet people about the representation of physical attributes in a combat system for a text-based fantasy land.

Humans won.

Are you saying that if city elves had higher strength they would have developed the technology to post online?

But in all seriousness, I think the most frustrating thing about elf strength isn't necessarily that it's a low range in general. I like that there are trade-offs between the races and I like that the races have weaknesses.

What sucks to me is that the stat rolling system currently makes it possible for your highest stat to still be pretty dang low, even if you prioritise, and when you get rolls like THAT on a city elf, that's when they become borderline unplayable.

Now that I'm an older, more casual gamer who can't devote so much time to skillgrinding, I'm really drawn to stat systems that aren't quite so punishingly random. If you can prioritise strength, roll an "average" age character, and still end up with a strength of 'average' on a city elf then it does feel like a pretty brutal uphill grind. It's mathematically unlikely, but it's happened to me more than once. (Not specifically on city elves, but the whole "prioritise x stat in an age group that isn't an outlier and still end up with 'average' or 'above average' as the result.")

But I suppose the changes I'd advocate for are changes to the stat system overall rather than city elves, so it's not quite on topic for this thread.

I think city elf strength doesn't suck quite so much as the specific act of rolling a city-elf with particularly average strength is just particularly noticeably bad. I can and have struggled through on a human with a spread of BA/Av/AA stats, but on a city elf I'd probably store because that value is low enough that it's just not a fun mission to try to overcome.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on January 18, 2019, 10:15:51 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 18, 2019, 03:59:29 PM

Care to speculate the reason for this?

Only staff could say for sure. Could be something lost to the wayside while other things got done. Could be reasons of too much consolidated power. Could be bad luck and timing. Maybe the staff who tried all had real life bite them in the ass.

I highly doubt it is due to lack of creativity.

January 19, 2019, 04:41:02 AM #111 Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 09:58:30 AM by Greve
Elven strength doesn't need to be increased, the benefits of strength in the upper end for dwarves need to be decreased.