Elves regenerate stamina while standing

Started by MeTekillot, October 15, 2018, 04:34:44 PM

But at half the rate if they were sitting.

I think everyone should. Elves could just be racially inclined to do so at a better regen rate.

Heh, yeah, no doubt. Or let me rest and stay hidden. :)

I've been creeping along hidden so many times and ran out of stamina just as something awful came into the room and then had to stand there FOREVER while it wandered back away. All because stamina regen stops completely when you're standing and you can't hide while resting.

Quote from: Miradus on October 15, 2018, 05:28:17 PM
Heh, yeah, no doubt. Or let me rest and stay hidden. :)

I've been creeping along hidden so many times and ran out of stamina just as something awful came into the room and then had to stand there FOREVER while it wandered back away. All because stamina regen stops completely when you're standing and you can't hide while resting.

Wouldn't mind seeing the code allow for people to hide (standing) and then sit, and risk coming out of hiding but with a chance of staying hidden. Could call it the hidden crouch option. If there's a big rock and you're hiding behind it, you probably aren't standing fully erect. You're probably crouching down.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I just want elves to regen stamina while standing, guys.

Oh. This was a request and not a PSA. Goddamnit metekillot.

Isn't there a suggestion thread already? Improvements to the game or something...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

Game balance changing requests seems like something that would have their own thread.

I believe standing regen should exist, but not at half the rate - at a tenth of the rate. Sitting, resting, and sleeping should always be the obvious best option and the temptation of getting a quick rest in before rehiding should be present to disallow just permahidden characters. Half rate isn't anything if you're in no danger whatsoever.
Lizard time.

I don't want it for everyone, just for elves, who in their racial roleplay files are noted for their extreme ability to run without rest. Rooms in cities that cost 0 stamina to run in are nice, for sure, but if you're running in rooms that cost stamina you only barely just squeak out more endurance than a human, and probably not even always against any of the +endurance races.

Can't wait to read page 17 of this thread  ;)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Stamina regen while standing isn't ever going to happen, for simple P/R/S reasons.

That is, generally the only real balances to hide and sneak are actions that are mandatory hide breaks.

From my experience, even infiltrator-level advanced sneak and hide is able to entirely defeat master scan and listen.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on October 16, 2018, 02:00:53 PM
From my experience, even infiltrator-level advanced sneak and hide is able to entirely defeat master scan and listen.

This hasn't been my recent experience.

Even with several pieces of stealth gear, exceptional human agility, and master hide/sneak, I've seen the same characters able to see through that stealth over and over again, leading me to believe that master scan + listen is probably an effective counter to stealth, as long as the PCs remember to keep those skills active.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Quote from: Heade on October 17, 2018, 03:41:55 AM

Even with several pieces of stealth gear, exceptional human agility, and master hide/sneak, I've seen the same characters able to see through that stealth over and over again, leading me to believe that master scan + listen is probably an effective counter to stealth, as long as the PCs remember to keep those skills active.

Don't forget Watch.

And that elfy slinking can put a high-agility human to shame.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: Inky on October 18, 2018, 02:19:47 PM
Quote from: Heade on October 17, 2018, 03:41:55 AM

Don't forget Watch.

I'm not. It's people seeing through a character's stealth when they haven't previously been around TO watch them. Unless there is some other function of watch I don't know about that passively works into seeing hidden people while scan is active or something.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Quote from: Heade on October 19, 2018, 02:40:53 AM
I'm not. It's people seeing through a character's stealth when they haven't previously been around TO watch them. Unless there is some other function of watch I don't know about that passively works into seeing hidden people while scan is active or something.

You can spam 'watch shadow' to latch on to someone who is hidden. But you have to have some indication that they are there to know to 'watch shadow'.

scan at high levels combats master hide pretty well. But.. There's a lot of factors in hide outside of skill level.

+gear, agility score (by race), room bonuses/no-hide rooms, I think your height factors, encumbrance, heavy armor penalties I think also apply.

Sneak tho? Listen is useless in my experience. Even at newer/lower levels of sneak and whatever race inside and outside, listen just meh. It's only good for overhearing people talking.

edit: listen has always been more of an RP tool to me than a survival skill.
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."