From a Discord chat: What was your BEST roll?

Started by ShaLeah, October 11, 2018, 07:18:53 AM

Anyone out there get all AIs?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on October 11, 2018, 07:18:53 AM
Anyone out there get all AIs?

Accross all the characters I've ever had in the last 19 years or so, I think I've had an AI stat maybe two times. On one of those, I had two AIs, Str/Agi on a rinthi. Was either a celf or a breed assassin, can't remember. But those were on WAY early characters that I played before I understood the game, and they died with less than 2 days played each.

Never had AI luck since. Normally, I seem to end up with 2 in the "very good" range, one average, and one below average, after rerolls.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Strangely enough, when I first started playing Arm my characters were coming up with such high stats on a consistent basis that I thought getting an Extremely Good in one or more stats was normal.  I can remember getting Absolutely Incredible quite a number of times and would smile and think "cool, but it's no biggie" when I had a new character show up with two of them.

...I was such a newb to Arm at the time that I was blowing through characters at a pace of one to two every three RL days, thinking I was GODLIKE and could go out and solo hunt silt flyers and what not from the beginning to make sid.  I wasn't too far wrong as again (stupidly lucky here) I managed to do so on a regular enough basis that I figured these things were just one of the local mobs to hunt down in the starting areas for new characters (I was coming to Arm from several different combat MUDS).

When I finally got what it meant to be playing on an RPI, RL karma showed up and I've not seen an Absolutely Incredible stat on one of my characters in close to 10 years.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I got two AI's once. That was... Uh... A character and a half.

They would've still been around too, if it wasn't for that meddling [redacted]. And its dumb [redacted].

However, as someone to have carried such a character, let me inform you of this: Skills vastly outweigh stats in the long term. A character with 4 AI's will still lose to someone who has been learning for 50 hours more.

Stats aren't the be-all end-all. So maybe give that character you're interested in a few days more, even if they roll AA instead of AI. ;)
Lizard time.

I rolled up a young teen criminal-something guild and got AI agility.

That little fella could climb like a mother respecter.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Had a human ranger with AI endurance. Good and/or very good in all other stats. He was pretty awesome but died by a rather sudden attack of two tembos.

Also had a half-giant with exceptional strength, endurance and agility, but poor wisdom. He broke weapons on the regular, but could hit like.... well, like a giant. He died fighting halflings AND tembos. 
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

Its pretty easy to get AI in agility for pickpocket 14 year old PCs.

But aside that. I once got an AI in strength and poor in endurance. He was scary, bur squiiishieeeee.  That was before prioretizing stats was a thing.

I have never had any absolutely incredible stat. I was curious to see if anyone has had them across the board or even more than one.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Never had AI except with stat boost shenanigans.

I've had two in my career.  Both in Agility, both with shady ally elves.  Neither lasted very long.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I had a dwarf warrior with AI endurance who died to poison. *irony*

I had a c-elf pickpocket with AI agility and exceptional wisdom, but the poor strength was a challenge.

Best overall stat roll was something like...c-elf assassin with exceptional/exceptional/vgood/vgood.

Most of your awesome stats are going to occur when you're a noob with no idea how to keep a PC alive, so they'll be wasted.  It's just a matter of more rolls > higher likelihood of getting a good one at some point.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

My favorite stat roll was exceptional in strength and endurance, it was slightly hampered by things and poor wisdom however.

Best stat roll was exceptional strength, very good agility, good wisdom, exceptional endurance. 56 days played warrior/mercenary. Kicked every flavor of NPC ass ever. Eventually failed to dodge an acid spray that blinded me and my blind fighting that I never had the gall to twink up killed me.

I've played a half dozen pickpockets, and all but one had AI agility. The one that didn't wasn't prioritizing agility.

I think the best stats I've had were three Exceptionals and then one that wasn't terrible.

I got exceptional strength, exceptional agility, exceptional endurance, and below average wisdom once on a raider.

And died at about 3 days played trying something really stupid.

I have a threshold I consider "playable" for various types of characters, but it's also constantly changing. I recently put wisdom in front of strength and agility and I was ASTONISHED at how quickly I became a very viable character in terms of skills and how little the low strength hampered me. If your only metric is whether or not you rule the Byn sparring circle then better get those AI's, buddy. But I'm starting to see balance across the stats as superior to something really great in just one area.

As far as I can tell, it is not possible to currently get 4 AI stats out of chargen.

Quote from: Brokkr on October 12, 2018, 05:11:16 PM
As far as I can tell, it is not possible to currently get 4 AI stats out of chargen.

Ahhh. I thought a character COULD get AI across the board because I thought rolls were random and not restricted by some algorithm. I guess it's good to prevent an absolutely incredible demi-god for realism's sake.

Those aren't mutually exclusive.

AI isn't in the range of the roll itself.

The best I could find in my small sample was G/VG/EG/EG. Of course it was a sponsored character who didn't need stats except to survive a few attempts to bump her off.

I did get one AI agility on a min-aged burglar, so bonuses probably played a role. The other stats were awful so I rerolled. This was in the days before reroll undo, when rerolling was a leap of faith. Big mistake. All of the stats got worse. So my one and only AI was lost to the fickle reroll gods.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

AI means that you have above the racial cap for that stat.  There's class and age based bonuses (and penalties) to stats - that's the only way to get there except shorter-lived modifications you can get via magick, spice, and so on.

The way I understand it, agi gets lets say a +2 for being min age. Maximum rollable agility for a human is lets say 10 and that is exceptional agility. But, since you have a bonus to it you now have absolutely incredible agility with your 12.

Quote from: evilcabbage on October 12, 2018, 10:47:41 PM
so you cannot grow or age into an AI?

Based on what staff said, I suspect you can, for those stats that improve with age.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I suspect you could grow into an AI in strength, if you start min-age but get an exceptional strength roll somehow, I would assume you would get a stupidly high strength compared to others of your race.

Quote from: MeTekillot on October 11, 2018, 09:16:53 PM
Never had AI except with stat boost shenanigans.

That Gith wasn't AI strength? Jesus christ.