Author Topic: Contact Harrassment?  (Read 1254 times)

roobee

Contact Harrassment?
« on: October 09, 2018, 09:30:11 PM »
If your character hates another character (say a Templar) is it poor form to continuously insult them via contact considering how anonymous it is?

mansa

Re: Contact Harrassment?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 10:09:17 PM »
Messaging people via the way isn't anonymous, because it echos:

<sdesc> sends you a message over the way:  "blah blah you stink"
And it shows your short description.  If your short description was - "the tall muscular man" then it would echo to the templar:
the tall, muscular man sends you a message over the way: "blah blah blah you stink."

If you're messaging another character constantly, and you've -never- -met- that character in game, that may be poor form.    Why are you messaging them?  How did you know who they were? 

When you contact a player templar, it doesn't echo that they are a templar in the text - since the templar is added only by their robes.  It would say, 'you contact the blue-eyed man' instead of 'the blue-eyed templar'
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

roobee

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 10:23:08 PM »
Ok. So how about someone you've met who is not a templar? I mean, there are tons of tall, muscular men. So a short description is basically useless.

Dar

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 10:29:32 PM »
It's not against the rules. Feel free to go ahead and try. Everybody have means of preventing you from finding their head and if you manage, they can kick you out.

Keep in mind that people have variable resources. So if you think you're across the world and they cannot reach you. Some cant. Some very much can

ShaLeah

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 12:02:48 AM »
Heh. I laughed out loud to this.

Nope. Harass away. Please remember this MUD is permadeath and roleplay is mandatory.  Pleasssse be aware that your actions will have consequences.  Oh to be an elf in the shadows or fly on the wall. Have fun!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Heade

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 03:11:24 AM »
If your character hates another character (say a Templar) is it poor form to continuously insult them via contact considering how anonymous it is?

I don't think so. Sometimes I have characters' just contact people via the way, then leave their heads to screw with them a bit, anonymously.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

650Booger

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 02:38:26 PM »
or the old meta which I detest: "I want to go out pickpocketing, but if templar Amos catches me again I'll be executed.  Let me just try to contact him and see if he's online.  Nope!  Pickpocket away."
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

The Warshaper

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 03:14:39 PM »
Eh, I guess it is why we have barrier and expel. I don't agree with actually harassing someone over and over, because there is a human being on the other end, but if your character wants to drop some tasty expletives at someone and then drop the mic I can agree with that. And they can't spam you, because they will eventually pass out from stun damage.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 04:56:15 PM »
After thinking about this a little while, I think I'm going to say I feel it's a borderline thing.

Like if every now and then you want to contact old Lord Templar Hardnose to tell him about how the shit you just took reminds you of his face, that's fine.

However, if you're in his head screaming "FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU!" every moment he's online, I think you've crossed a point where you're making his role OOCly unpleasant to play.

Miradus

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 05:14:33 PM »

I've got a couple of other players doing to this to me right now, but I haven't particularly considered it harassment or meta.

I feel like, OOCly, they've got plots going that center around me and they're trying to make sure I haven't fallen off the shieldwall while they're hiring minions and whatnot to murderize me.

Or they're just trying to antagonize me into doing something stupid.

Lizzie

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 07:27:16 PM »

I've got a couple of other players doing to this to me right now, but I haven't particularly considered it harassment or meta.

I feel like, OOCly, they've got plots going that center around me and they're trying to make sure I haven't fallen off the shieldwall while they're hiring minions and whatnot to murderize me.

Or they're just trying to antagonize me into doing something stupid.

Or, you're one of 10 "brown [somethinged] tan [somethinged]" PCs in the game and the person who's poking you so much is trying to find Amos, not you, or any of the other 8 of the same keywords that are logged in. Happens often to me, especially when the person trying to find Talia doesn't know Talia's name. I often use fairly common keywords in my sdescs.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Miradus

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 08:06:26 PM »

Heh. No, not when they actually talk to me. :)

But I know the problem. I used to have fun Waying this poor person who just had the misfortune of looking like one of my peeps, but wasn't ... however I was too dumb to know that, so I'd repeatedly tell them, "Hey, I got the stolen goods" or "It's time to do the murder". Spilled some great plot info to them but they never responded back. :)

solera

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 04:39:26 AM »
Or one of those NPC's that are part of your head life for a lifetime ( but none of your PC's ever see one in the flesh....where do they hide them all) .

JohnMichaelHenry

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 10:49:03 AM »
Rumor amongst the commonfolk is that there are many mysterious means of power held by the Highlord's Templarate and others. There may be a lot of tall, muscular people around, but only YOU were in their mind. Haven't you ever done something naughty and then a Templar shows up out of nowhere all of a sudden? Could be coincidence but.....
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

Majikal

• Helper
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 11:40:25 AM »
I'd say just use your best judgement, if your pc has an ic reason to harass someone via the way by all means. If it starts to feel like you're becoming more of an ooc nuisance than an ic nuisance though, dial it back.

I have experienced instances of contact abuse where a particular pc openly wanted to kill one of mine, rather than way me creepy death threats they actually sat down and just did contact dude, cease, contact dude, cease. They spammed me for hours in this way until a staffer stepped in to settle it.

I believe the poorest form of RP is when you change how your pc would act based off of who you can verify is online via contact. Want to ride through elf-lands as a Nakki but base your decision off of whether you can contact a particular Soh or not? Want to ride into Allanak to buy some stuff, but only if you can't contact that scary Templar? I wish everyone had the ability to see who contacted you. It was stop so much metagaming. But this is another thread all together.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."