The New Creation/Writing Echo

Started by Bebop, September 26, 2018, 02:15:56 AM

Is there a way to get rid of this?  I think it's nice being able to get messages through the Way while writing and it doesn't make sense ICly that you suddenly wouldn't be able to get messages while writing.  Sometimes those messages might be urgent.  I don't like an OOC thing impeding an IC thing.  Also, if the character can't codedly write and you get that message you're suddenly aware of something you shouldn't be that they either are capable of writing or are making a rumor.  This isn't info the party on the other side should be privy to IMO.  I shouldn't suddenly know what someone is up to via the way.  The sleeping and death one I like.  This one I don't.  Is this something that can be revisited?

Since I'm the one that asked for it..

It can mean a lot of things. They could be writing a tdesc or entering a biography. They could be drawing. It isn't just for the rumor board or writing. It'd any time you use the OOC editor. I want it to stay.

While ideally using the editor would not disrupt psionics, it does, and that seems to be difficult to fix. So I would rather get that message explaining the OOC nature of my unavailability. I can't tell you how many people have freaked out when unable to way me just because I was writing a tdesc, but it is a lot.

Quote from: Delirium on September 26, 2018, 09:23:21 AM
Since I'm the one that asked for it..

It can mean a lot of things. They could be writing a tdesc or entering a biography. They could be drawing. It isn't just for the rumor board or writing. It'd any time you use the OOC editor. I want it to stay.

While ideally using the editor would not disrupt psionics, it does, and that seems to be difficult to fix. So I would rather get that message explaining the OOC nature of my unavailability. I can't tell you how many people have freaked out when unable to way me just because I was writing a tdesc, but it is a lot.

You're saying ideally creating wouldn't interrupt psionics.  It didn't appear to before this change.

Now you can't get a way message where you could before.  It's really charging suddenly taking away a characters ability to send receive and it doesn't fit because writing a book in game is an IC act.

It does and did actually. People could contact you but not way you. I'm not sure if you could contact them and way them by using the .x command (or whatever it is) while in the editor, I never tried, but you definitely couldn't receive any ways.

Can confirm making a tdesc has caused spooky way related panic attacks that I didn't understand until later.
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

There needs to be a difference between

Tdescs
Board posting

Etc which are all OOC level actions

And writing IG in a book.  that doesn't make any sense that suddenly because you have a pen in your hand you can't receive messages via the way.  And if you're trying to do business and write a quick not it isn't conducive.  It basically puts your RP on hold.

September 27, 2018, 11:26:35 AM #6 Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:28:13 AM by Delirium
Ah yea. Unfortunately I am pretty sure it all uses the same editor. The only suggestion I can think of there is if you're writing something long like a biography, drawing or a letter/book, write it all up in notepad and linebreak it at 75 with a word wrap and character count tool. Keep in mind spaces count as a character in the word editor.

Then copy+paste into the actual IG editor when you have a few minutes. It's not perfect but it should help.

Quote from: Bebop on September 26, 2018, 11:23:16 PM

Now you can't get a way message where you could before.  It's really charging suddenly taking away a characters ability to send receive and it doesn't fit because writing a book in game is an IC act.

The only thing changed was the message.  You could not get a way message before while using the editor and you still cannot.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Quote from: Bebop on September 26, 2018, 02:15:56 AM
Is there a way to get rid of this?  I think it's nice being able to get messages through the Way while writing and it doesn't make sense ICly that you suddenly wouldn't be able to get messages while writing.  Sometimes those messages might be urgent.  I don't like an OOC thing impeding an IC thing.  Also, if the character can't codedly write and you get that message you're suddenly aware of something you shouldn't be that they either are capable of writing or are making a rumor.  This isn't info the party on the other side should be privy to IMO.  I shouldn't suddenly know what someone is up to via the way.  The sleeping and death one I like.  This one I don't.  Is this something that can be revisited?

The message isn't just for those that can write in books, and doesn't say they are writing in a book.  The same editor is used for many things by players.    The game is filled with things that give one player OOC information about another - to date we've been able to trust players to not abuse this (too much), and certainly not to jump to IC conclusions based on imperfect OOC information that clarifies what is going on.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"