Author Topic: Personality confirmation  (Read 693 times)

MeTekillot

Personality confirmation
« on: September 24, 2018, 06:30:36 PM »
How long for you, personally, does it take until you get your character's personality down where you don't need to think about their responses to situations? Any tips for players trying to get into a character? Me, personally, takes until abput 2 days played unless I'm playing a flavor who I already planned out.
we are here to hack motherfuckers up with bone swords,

Delirium

• Helper
Re: Personality confirmation
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 06:40:12 PM »
I usually plan out some personal tics and the overall "theme" of the character well before first login.

What sort of mannerisms and personality do they have? Any habits, things they strongly like or dislike? How would they react to the presence of those things?

Broad strokes that I fill in over time as I settle into the character. Takes a few sessions, somewhere between 5-6 logins with that PC.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

Rumor

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 06:56:49 PM »
Depending on the character, not long. 2-3 logins if I'm truly inspired at creation and can't wait to get approval to jump in. I normally have several goals in mind, likes and dislikes and can imagine how they sit and move and walk or fight before I even create them. So at that point it's sorta articulating those events. Rarely, I make a character between major concepts to sort of break up where I'm playing at the time and I "discover" these things as I go along. When that's the case, it can take a long time. Like you said, some where around the day+ played mark at times. It's rare those characters last much longer than that for me before I choose to store or get into something brutally overwhelming in order to move onto a breakthrough concept.

At any point in time I typically have an idea simmering at the top of my head that's not fully cooked. When I feel like a character is at the end of an arc or if they die, I can start fleshing it out with written descriptions and such. Normally when I'm putting this together, I'm getting a really good image of how they move and act and depending on the word choice for their description, is normally how they'll be portrayed.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 07:05:10 PM »
It depends.  I've had some characters "click" instantly.  I've had others I had to feel out for months before playing them felt natural, or they died before then.

Like Delerium said, plan out some mannerisms.  How expressive/reserved is she?  How does she greet strangers?  Friends?  How does she agree?  Disagree?  What does she do when she's bored?  Some consistent actions and adverbs will helm cement a character's identity.

I'd also try to work out some solid motivations, likes, dislikes, and fears.  Talk to people with purpose.  Express solid opinions rather than seeking conformity.

Lastly, try to have a reason behind your personality traits.  A story explaining why she feels the way she does about X.  You don't have to (and probably shouldn't) blurt it out to every new acquaintance, but if someone starts digging into her past it's nice to have something there for them to find.  Helps keep characters feeling consistent too.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 07:09:14 PM »
Express solid opinions rather than seeking conformity.

This is so important. Be Hamilton, not Aaron Burr. It's way more interesting.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 08:21:33 PM »
Aaron Burr shot a man over shittalking, conspired to steal territory and form his own country, and died a fugitive. He's arguably more Armageddony than the "we all gotta form together as one federal nation guys" Hamilton.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 08:39:24 PM »
Aaron Burr also said "talk less, smile more, don't let them know what you're against and what you're for"

so

YMMV

Miradus

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 08:54:13 PM »
There's pros and cons to being "Johnny Exposition" and revealing your whole bio at the bar. Depends on the character.

I've had some that click fast and some that never do. There's a moment where you just suddenly realize, "Oh yeah, I'm in this skin."

The ones that click for me have to either contain some grain of my own personality, or something I aspire to be. Sometimes what works is a pastiche of literary or movie characters I like (or at least want to try on for awhile).

I generally prefer not to get involved in much for the first 1 days played or so while I work out the mannerisms, but you know how it is ... sometimes you're clanned up before your beetle meat spoils.

What REALLY helps is when you suddenly find yourself surrounded by inclusive, quality roleplayers.

Lizzie

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 09:14:23 PM »
I've tried giving my characters personalities before I hop out of chargen, and usually end up hating the character. So I stopped trying to do that. All of my characters' personalities are 100% organic. I make them up as I go along.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

cnemus

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 09:47:57 PM »
I come in with a few core traits, a backstory for their general personality, but like Lizzie I prefer organic development. Their values and eventual confirmed personality will hopefully be a result of IG experiences. I would say 20/80% pre-planned/organic.

I have milestones. 1 day for a solid direction. By 7 days I hope to have a clear idea who they are, though I look forward to life changing events that may throw everything so far out the window.

I have spent literal months planning a personality, backstory, and direction, only to have them splat right out of the box. Then spent 0 hours planning and have them live XX days. I've settled on a system that evolves with the success [survival] of the character.
Quote from: Shalooonsh
Armageddon isn't about closure.  It's about Murder, Corruption, and Betrayal.  It's about Mystery, it's about Passion, it's about Brutality.

Bebop

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 10:43:53 PM »
I am here for the Hamilton discussion!

Uhm, for me I have certain characters that I'm walking along and it hits me that one day I'm going to play this character and it's going to be so rad.  I start getting into them before my current character is even done and usually those I'm able to hit the ground running with.

Some, I've got a general idea and it takes me awhile - like a couple of weeks, but when I finally hit my stride sometimes they are my longest lived.

MeTekillot

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 02:09:44 AM »
All my characters besides sponsored roles I usually bang out immediately after dying. I improvise every single aspect of interaction and decide at random what's going to stick amd what I'm doing as a lark. Takes me 1-3 days played to have a personality I could reasonably call realized, personality-wise.

MeTekillot

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 02:12:41 AM »
I try to make at least three enemies by 1 day played to create adversity to react to.

daughterofauset

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 06:05:11 AM »
All my characters besides sponsored roles I usually bang out immediately after dying. I improvise every single aspect of interaction and decide at random what's going to stick amd what I'm doing as a lark. Takes me 1-3 days played to have a personality I could reasonably call realized, personality-wise.

This.
"This is a mugging. Now etwo your weapon and nosave combat."

The mugger brandishes his wooden sword in one hand.