Author Topic: Reopening Mantis  (Read 1262 times)

MeTekillot

Reopening Mantis
« on: September 22, 2018, 01:47:04 AM »
I think Mantis could be re-opened by doing a little change to their docs. Either as a retcon, or as an adaptive shift in their hivemind psyche over the years. I was personally thinking their obsession with eating could instead be change to an obsession with protecting the hive and its surroundings, or an obsession with reproducing. This would be paired with their natural ecological sensitivity. Perhaps even have it be that it's more of a dwarven-focus style of obsession, in that it's partially on their mind at all times, but that doesn't make them mindless automatons that only stand at the edge of wherever it is they live and attack passers-by. Maybe mantis could have fun too while still retaining a somewhat alien, insectoid psyche and of course physiology.
My thoughts.

A sex and torture survey upon character creation

MeTekillot

Re: Reopening Mantis
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 02:42:30 AM »
Wrong subforum, good job MeTekillot
My thoughts.

650Booger

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 07:26:19 PM »
I'm in favor of more choices, so I vote yes!
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Veselka

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 10:38:11 PM »
It's funny, because there's this idea that it'd be too hard to play mantis, or players wouldn't get it. But every Dark Sun campaign I play, someone invariably does a great job playing a Thri-Kreen.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Boogerbear

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 04:18:11 AM »
Bear with me

Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 04:42:07 AM »
There aren't enough active players to stock the core clans.  No point in having players solo-wandering around the Xytrix-za or deep in the Red Desert.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

gotdamnmiracle

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 12:50:03 PM »
There aren't enough active players to stock the core clans.  No point in having players solo-wandering around the Xytrix-za or deep in the Red Desert.

Pro Tuluki-shutdown propaganda. There are ways to make it work and hand waving of that fact is silly.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 03:16:15 PM »
Being stuck in the XZ (or the deep Red Desert) as a noob mantis would be shitty, in the first place.  It's an end-game area, not a place for noobs to skill up.  Even if  you managed to survive, your playing time would be entirely spent skilling up and then trying to PK anyone who came into your area, until a rogue magicker or a d-elf hunting party roasts you.

Basically, you can do everything you could do with a mantis as a dwarf or a human.  Just go ride out there, survive, and (try to) claim it as your own.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

MeTekillot

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 03:53:48 PM »
I mean I did say change their documentation to make them playable instead of just making them bug gith who kill everyone they see.
My thoughts.

Inks

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 10:28:31 PM »
I'd rather see gith be playable. Gith are cool and I really enjoyed my gith pc.

But yes I am for more areas of the game being accessible and more races.
Quote from: Is Friday
Quote from: Synthesis
I hate to break it to you noobs, but penetration isn't the only way to achieve orgasm.Do I have to fucking explain everything here?
Tell me more about your Golden Standard of HG Mudsex RP

Bushranger

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 11:29:20 PM »
Bring back halflings!
Quote from: Morgenes
Ya..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.
Quote from: Eukelade
Now I'm starving -1 karma Bushranger -1 karma.
Quote from: Shalooonsh
Kudos to you bushranger for confusing staff.

Cind

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 04:23:33 AM »
Seriously, bring back halflings. Hobbits who eat you? My first death was to a Halfling. I remember my colorful guts spilling out of my body and I could touch the wall of Tuluk while it was happening. That kind of sold it for me, forever.

We could open a single race, Halfling, gith or mantis, every once in a while and let people go at it. I'd give kudos to anyone who came up to me in my barely safe grebbing spots and gave me a death that cool again.
Playing something new could be just what you need!

AdamBlue

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 06:04:13 AM »
Mantis Mutants.
Re-open Mantis but on a scale only available equal to muls in terms of rarity.

Mantis are born with singular purpose, and live to serve the hive until their body is returned to provide for the hive even in death.
This is not the case for you.
As a mantis, you have lived your life for the hive, but recently, something happened, and you have found yourself released from the hivemind. Attempts to return to it have been met with nothing but horrible shrieks through the Way, and your bretheren feverently hunting you down. Despite this, you have travelled, cloaked in the tattered cloak of some slain nomad, and attemped to eke out a living somewhere else.

Make them start in any location except Luirs or Allanak. (Luirs due to widespread Mantis paranoia, and Allanak due to strict and stringent gate-security) Only able to speak Mantis. Can learn other languages over time, but can way as regular for communication purposes.
To be clear, the Mantis in question can still only eat meat, and still favors the taste of elves. However, their thoughts are not singularly dominated by the desire to eat. Either through simple evolution or some flaw in their genetic makeup are the result of this.
Mantis NPC are hyper-hostile and hyperaware to them.

Of course, their lack of ability to communicate, their 'rarity' and the fact that their race is almost universially regarded with fear and suspicion would make it difficult or impossible to join any manner of clan unless it was outcast or criminally based, though perhaps some exceptions could be made for certain situations. (E.G Mantis Gladiators/Slaves,  Mantis in the T'zai Byn [[DIFFICULT TO ACCOMPLISH]], Red Storm clans.)

Their difficulty to roleplay, code restrictions on food, armor and weapons, and difficulty of communication should be for advanced players only, but are outweighed by the fact that they:
Have extremely good senses,
Four arms
Insanely high agility,
Robust natural weaponry.

And add another type of rare, beautiful flair to this mysterious world of Zalanthas we inhabit.

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 08:03:28 AM »
Mantis Mutants.

Mantis are born with singular purpose, and live to serve the hive until their body is returned to provide for the hive even in death.
As a mantis, you have lived your life for the hive, but recently, something happened, and you have found yourself released from the hivemind. Attempts to return to it have been met with nothing but horrible shrieks through the Way, and your bretheren feverently hunting you down. Despite this, you have travelled, cloaked in the tattered cloak of some slain nomad, and attemped to eke out a living somewhere else.

Make them start in any location except Luirs or Allanak. (Luirs due to widespread Mantis paranoia, and Allanak due to strict and stringent gate-security) Only able to speak Mantis. Can learn other languages over time, but can way as regular for communication purposes.
To be clear, the Mantis in question can still only eat meat, and still favors the taste of elves. However, their thoughts are not singularly dominated by the desire to eat. Either through simple evolution or some flaw in their genetic makeup are the result of this.

Of course, their lack of ability to communicate, their 'rarity' and the fact that their race is almost universially regarded with fear and suspicion would make it difficult or impossible to join any manner of clan unless it was outcast or criminally based, though perhaps some exceptions could be made for certain situations. (E.G Mantis Gladiators/Slaves,  Mantis in the T'zai Byn [[DIFFICULT TO ACCOMPLISH]], Red Storm clans.)

Their difficulty to roleplay, code restrictions on food, armor and weapons, and difficulty of communication should be for advanced players only, but are outweighed by the fact that they:
Four arms
Insanely high agility,
Robust natural weaponry.

And add another type of rare, beautiful flair to this mysterious world of Zalanthas we inhabit.

YES. 1000000000x YES THIS IS FANTASTIC.
It's always lizard time.

The Desert Bloom is a Greggs, tbh.

Strongheart

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 08:59:16 AM »
Mantis Mutants.

Four arms
Insanely high agility,
Robust natural weaponry.

YES. 1000000000x YES THIS IS FANTASTIC.

+1

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 09:47:38 AM »

Sorry but that sounds very difficult and isolated and there are so many better more suitable races to offer up.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

Dar

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 10:01:28 AM »
I can imagine doing a role call and giving this to someone. If that Mantis survives a few game years, without turning into streaking PK machine and proves to actually be interesting to play, then maybe it could open up a road for others. A massive splintering of the hivemind way communion, or whatever. \

But somehow, I think the Mantis will either turn into a zero interaction = PK machine, or that Mantis will die to something silly and that story becomes forgotten.

gotdamnmiracle

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 11:57:26 AM »
Alternatively, why not have a schism hivemind? You approve 5 players on original HM and 5 players on new HM, and have the newbys settle down in an opposite part of the za and have them duke it out as if it were a shortrun. The whole thing lasts about a month and maybe the new HM is way more amenable to others because it realizes it needs allies to slay the original. Suddenly you have players from the Pah getting involved, maybe even from Luirs.

So in between that SICK RANTARRI GRIND SESSIONyou could have a weekly rpt for maybe two months and whatever rp that happens within that time, of which there will be some. Especially immediately after staff announces “we’re reopening mantis temporarily”.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.