No_Kill Flag

Started by Dar, September 21, 2018, 06:25:38 AM

Hello hello.

Have you ever died stupidly to crime code?

typed kick instead of brawl?

subdued someone to help them out, only to have soldiers destroy you.

Casted something on a templar, as per their orders, only to have soldiers destroy you.

Mistyped something, or a bunch of other stuff that caused your character to disintegrate in seconds.

While that is currently a reality of Armageddon, should it be?

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a flag that could be set on an NPC that made it incapable of EVER killing you. They could drive you to 0 hp, or maybe even put you into a 'special stasis' where you're unconscious for longer then 15 minutes, but your hp is not degenerating below 0. This leaves the npcs just as lethal and dangerous, but prevents fatal mistakes of an accidental aggro that destroys a character faster then a templar/staffer can type <order followers disengage>

It would also be useful for staffers as well. Let's say they're running a plot. A dangerous plot. With a 'lot' of NPCs in play. Sometimes shit happen and someone somehow aggroes something. While they technically 'deserve' to die, in many such cases. Should they? And even if they should. Should it happen in an instant of <ohshitnoNoFuckWhaOhSigh>. Or should the pcs be driven to 0 hp into some kind of state that lasts 30-60 rl minutes and allow the staffers/whomever ample time to give them a scene, or give them a way out, or whatever.

If an HG soldier drives someone to this state, they'll subdue and drag them into the jails with potentially longer wanted status for <resisting arrest>. If the city has no jails, the same npc soldiers will strip that character naked and leave them alone to bleed out. And since those unconscious characters may still be wanted, the 'suffering' party may just come over and kill them themselves.

Sure, it allows for a potential survival of a bad thief who botched a steal on an npc. So even when caught and beaten the shit out of/stripped/made to watch the screen for 30-60 minutes. They would survive, since no PC is involved. But ... is that such a bad thing?

Sure it allows for an assassin to successfully kill a PC, but then fail to escape and go unconscious right where his prey lies dead. And potentially an hour later, would be able to crawl off without 'considerable' repercussions, if he got lucky enough not to ever be seen by a PC and no staffer was there to create a proper world response.  That possibility exists and it 'would' suck. But is the likelyhood of it really outweigh the amount of dumb deaths and plots ruined by the sudden wtfpwnofdeath that sometimes is so unwarranted by 'all' parties involved?

I do wish they would have 'mercy on', even though it's said that is not infallible (one hit kills?) and would be less likely to work when they're gang banging.
I can't think of anything that I'd like to see fixed more than this.

October 25, 2018, 10:52:32 AM #2 Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 10:54:07 AM by Inks
Mercy -kill- on and soldiers with clubs more often instead of swords.

Also no spawning HG doomsquads.

Quote from: Dar on September 21, 2018, 06:25:38 AM
Have you ever died stupidly to crime code?
never in my entire life

We can make NPCs have mercy on.

We just rarely do.

Quote from: Brokkr on October 25, 2018, 06:34:03 PM
We can make NPCs have mercy on.

We just rarely do.

Does vennant have mercy on?
yousuck

Crimcode has ended my stupidity, which did begin with other stupidities, (ie hiding in a corner of their cell or fighting rogue gickers within His Walls) .  But (almost) each time a PC dies to crimcode, I die a little inside.  :P

Brokkr, why do NPC's rarely have mercy on?  The stump under the bed?

The crimcode is pretty forgiving right now if you have "no save arrest" on, which is the default out of chargen. They're also not -that- tough, if you have a combat PC.

Their Allanaki soldiers with cold Nakki obsidian blades, not doofus club wielding cops from a Charlie Chaplin film. If they do attack, it should be with lethal intent.

I guess most players apart from elf-players do have nosave arrest on, but shit still happens (see OP's list).  The jail and Arena,  have more potential for fun, though you are right in saying that realistically, most scum should be just slaughtered where they stand and  no commoner is innocent.