Half-giant nerf/change suggestions

Started by MeTekillot, September 19, 2018, 12:55:34 PM

QuoteI feel like most of the ploys I've seen used to influence HGs are pretty stupid and transparent.

Like...to the point that even a child wouldn't be impressed.  Maaaaybe y'all just need to upgrade your schemin' game and stop expecting easy results.

I have said that time and time again. When I play a HG I look forward to people trying to trick/use him...Most the time it simply does not happen (which makes me wonder who we should be complaining about nerfing)

I can count on one hand the number of times PCs have tried, Over the course of at least 6 HGs Each with an average RL time of more then 6 months and massive amounts of interaction...Exactly THREE...yes 3 PCs have EVER tried to manipulate/trick any of them. Two were totally infantile and the players should be ashamed. But there was a desert elf that had game and convinced one of my HGs that this item (scrab bladder of urine) Was in fact good luck water or somesuch, and worth five hundred coins.

I do not remember the PC...but it was on the road not far north of Luirs, if you still play, Kudos.

The rest...Blah...I have grand children with better game.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

September 24, 2018, 09:44:17 PM #51 Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 09:47:23 PM by Eyeball
Quote from: only_plays_tribals on September 20, 2018, 08:39:47 AM
Every NPC half giant in the world is played badly. They should randomly quit their jobs, wander off into the wilds, and release prisoners if they had to drag them more than five tiles because they 'forgot', I should also be able to lure one from the gates with a shiny string.

This is going too far. Half-giants are some degree of stupid, but they aren't complete imbeciles like this. An eight year old can stay on task and finish it, and so can a half-giant with the constant reinforcement of human soldiers around.

Quote from: Eyeball on September 24, 2018, 09:44:17 PM
This is going too far. Half-giants are some degree of stupid, but they aren't complete imbeciles like this. An eight year old can stay on task and finish it, and so can a half-giant with the constant reinforcement of human soldiers around.

I was kind of dryly comparing the actions of HG NPC's to the seeming 'ideal' RP standard of HG's I keep hearing. Because it's kind of silly. Not that everyone claims HGs should be that dumb but I keep hearing it and I was trying to point out how silly it actually sounds.
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

Hgs 3 karma and HG npc soldiers replaced with human soldiers please. Static HG npcs remain in place.

Also Adamblue banned from any HG related threads for playing Ace ;)

Quote from: Inks on September 25, 2018, 04:44:11 AM
Hgs 3 karma and HG npc soldiers replaced with human soldiers please. Static HG npcs remain in place.

Also Adamblue banned from any HG related threads for playing Ace ;)

That was the last time I played a half-giant, and that was literally over three years ago.  Because of the karma changes, I don't think I can even play a half-giant anymore, even with a special application.
Even so, despite the fact I can't play them, I don't want to see them nerfed. Unfortunately for everyone else, karma has been stunted and impossible to achieve, so I get the impression that they don't want to see something so hard to get be so strong.

I think some of it is that half-giants don't seem to manage to stay unclanned very long--- I heard one of them tell me that 'Everyone is always trying to hire me.'

At that point, the giant's choices are the Arm or the Byn, and kudos to the (obviously unclanned) elf trying to trick an Arm giant pc into giving up those five hundred coins the lieutenant gave him for armor sizing, in exchange for a bladder full of urine.

The always Arm race versus the never-clanned race. It makes it that much sweeter when you win, though.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I don't recall how many half-giants I've played, but I would say out of over a hundred pc's over the years, maybe ten. I like half giants, and they can be fun to play as they are difficult to take down. You actually have time to decide if you want to finish this fight or not. However, they are also very difficult to train up, in anything. Please keep in mind that once you do (if you do) become a badass warrior and can slay any NPC creatures in the game, that part becomes extremely boring. I have found myself wishing that I had some other non combat skills to play with, or that I could carry on a normal conversation with someone, or find a mate. What I'm trying to say is that if you manage to live a long time, this role can become tedious, and I admit that I've ended up intentionally putting my half-giant characters into progressively more dangerous situations until they just die. I have seen some poorly played half giants, probably myself among them, but I think it is unfair to say that all half giants are played poorly. I've seen some that are ridiculously popular and loved IG that I always thought were not played all that well, and some that were played well and never appreciated. Let's remember also that with the new karma system, even if you have three karma, and you pick a half-giant, your choices of extended subclass and/or magick sub have to be apped for. Also, I trust staff to point out to players if they are playing a race so poorly that it is clearly against the docs.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

Fighting in this game really does start to teeter off after a point in terms of being able to get stronger, finding a decent sparring buddy, I've seen some guys who were just grateful to find a sparring partner they didn't instantly murder.

Giants also have the problem often of not having another giant to train with once they do join a clan. I wonder if training against animals is still the superior way to train.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Arguably its not that hard to get a giant to stupid levels of deadliness. As with any character if you get whooped enough you eventually do the whooping.

Same with a HG, albeit probably a bit longer considering their abysmal capacity to dodge even after IG years of training.