So, Who Were Your Mentors?

Started by Boogerbear, September 17, 2018, 04:56:29 PM

Sergeant Thuler and Raisa-di Kurac, a certain elf by the name of Worms, and a Red Fang called Two Moons who turned a mugging into a great desert survival tutorial for a newbie.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Siamaca was the earliest mentor I remember, but the other members of our crew helped a lot too. They helped me believe that a sociopathic pc (not player) could be a fully functioning member of society, inside and out.

I didn't really understand your 'stereotypical' American t.v. sociopath--- an unfeeling individual who either does not have desires or has them, but not the will to bring them to conclusion. I was sort of afraid I would be unable to play one who didn't feel like a piece of walking particle board. The crew really helped me enjoy playing her. Also, she was an unmanifested rukkian. Heh, I don't really play in Tuluk without being an unmanifested something or other.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Cind on September 29, 2018, 03:00:47 AM
I was a witch newb not that long ago so I remember the drovian old man luirsman who was the representative of the quarter and communicated with the templarate, seeing to their witchy needs. He helped me out with some basic questions, and the water witch too, a human male I can't remember who seemed to know that he was dealing with a lot of newbs as a water witch and was very patient with all of us.

The drovian was maybe Corse. That which is remembered, lives.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

December 14, 2018, 11:05:57 PM #53 Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 11:08:22 PM by slipshod
Quote from: valeria on November 27, 2018, 11:55:09 AM
... Faithful Lady Isatep, who scared my socks off.

Isatep was the closest thing I've played to a blind character since she seldom deigned to 'look at' scum, and most PCs were scum to her.

Oh, Wheel was one of my big mentors.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Bit late to the party, but got a lot of love for my first mentor to the game. Shout out to Lieutenant Torgun of the AOD helping me be the worst corporal I could be! You taught me (and my best bud) everything I know.

Quote from: Morrolan on December 02, 2018, 10:35:30 PM
Quote from: Cind on September 29, 2018, 03:00:47 AM
I was a witch newb not that long ago so I remember the drovian old man luirsman who was the representative of the quarter and communicated with the templarate, seeing to their witchy needs. He helped me out with some basic questions, and the water witch too, a human male I can't remember who seemed to know that he was dealing with a lot of newbs as a water witch and was very patient with all of us.

The drovian was maybe Corse. That which is remembered, lives.

Corse and Moraz. Legendary times.

August 27, 2019, 06:27:19 PM #56 Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:51:21 PM by Barsook
Quote from: Kol on November 24, 2018, 07:23:27 PM
All you guys. Honestly, I wouldn't be playing today it wasn't for all of you and the way people are so helpful towards new players.

Agreed.

For me specifically it is:

Jamuk, the real life friend who got me playing about 12 years ago. He quit after a year of playing but I'm still playing strong!

The player of Ayla for showing me how to emote crafting things and how to teach with emoting for crafts.  I even quoted her line "work with stone as you would with a woman" (or something like that), A.K.A be gentle with stone, on a few of my crafter characters.

Cutthroat , as the Chosen Lord, allowed to learn Tuluk.

The players of Lord Iancu Oash and Moraz for showing how to play a water witch.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

My brother in law taught me how to play I had never even heard of Muds before that.  I think he is Jozhole on the board or something like that.    It took most of the learning curve away as far as mechanics go.   As far as rp goes that is a journey in and of its self.  I'm sure many of you have helped in that.  The majority of my Arm experience is indy salter/hunter/miner ect. So I don't know who the majority of the people are.   I would say I learn something almost anytime I play with a different group of people including my most recent.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

If not for Pip the dwarf and Smort(e?) (the slate-eyed fat man), I probably wouldn't have gotten into playing much. They showed me the ropes on my 2nd or 3rd character. It took one or two for me to stop dying so fast.
Alea iacta est

Quote from: sleepyhead on September 24, 2018, 03:52:53 AM

TheLonelyHunter, who to me is still the gold standard of mul RP. One day maybe we'll play together again and I'll figure out how to not die in the dumbest way possible. Thanks for all the memories!

Thanks! I do love me some muls. I read and re-read documentation so much and I just love the way that they are written out.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

I had played MUDs before, but never really 'got' the RP thing (some would suggest I still do not).

When I was in college, a friend had been playing Arm for a long time, and they showed me the ropes. They were a rather top-tier player, a lot of connections with staff and veterans and whatnot. Played Shattered, the desert elf sorcerer. Wisp the Tuluki Assassin. The short-term psionicist aide of a Southern Templar. Kaya Uaptal.

The only drawback to having them teach me the game, is I saw the game as played at the highest levels. Magick. Sorcery. Corruption and Politics. All done during an age with high player agency, staff facilitation, and a dogmatic sense of "if it is done in the game, we will make reflect it in the world."

Its not a complaint, but the dogmatic sense has changed from "making the world reflect player actions" to "making the world react in a contentious manner to player actions". But since I was seeing it differently, its colored my whole play experience.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

August 31, 2019, 03:12:48 AM #61 Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 03:14:58 AM by Thomoto
So let me take a step back. I was introduced to the MUD by a friend/family member who at the time told me a lot of stuff about arm and stories (looking back on it prob not the best Idea on her part rule wise but they weren’t exactly expecting me to play because I was twelve at the time) so naturally I was interested and registered and it was my second character that she found me playing where she showed me the ropes.
Now I haven’t (i dont think) ever ran into them ig so mentor wise was ehh.

Though shoutout to a few folk in the byn who helped give me a bit with the game. PriestlySiren (if m serves) And Cenmus (again, I THINK).  And a few others along my extremely looong newb days.

On staff part thanks Aromit for the feedback and the animations I can still laugh about.
Quote from: Lotion on August 20, 2020, 06:40:50 AMresting as a city elf walking in the wilderness because "I was so close" and then got jumped by things that could easily kill me and I didn't have the stamina to escape.