Bolting mounts

Started by MeTekillot, September 14, 2018, 12:39:03 PM

I think, that if a mount takes a hard enough hit, or continues to take hits past a certain threshold of hp/st, that it should stand (if resting), attempt to buck its rider (ride check?), and flee self.

If you wanted to be extra mean, it could flee from any mount attempts until it recovers enough hp.

I agree, and I also think certain things should also spook mounts (certain kinds of magicks, for example) and warrant a ride check.

Quote from: sleepyhead on September 14, 2018, 12:48:05 PM
I agree, and I also think certain things should also spook mounts (certain kinds of magicks, for example) and warrant a ride check.

Certain magick things do spook mounts, but I think additional magick things should as well.

Might be realistic, but it would drastically alter the risk v. reward calculation for leaving the city for all but the most uber of PCs.

Personally, I don't think it would be a beneficial change, given the current playerbase size.

More magick things spooking mounts might be fine...but I mean...insects are pretty dumb.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on September 14, 2018, 02:34:32 PM
Might be realistic, but it would drastically alter the risk v. reward calculation for leaving the city for all but the most uber of PCs.

Personally, I don't think it would be a beneficial change, given the current playerbase size.

I agree with Synth, here.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Quote from: Inks on September 14, 2018, 08:32:09 PM
I like this idea.

Are you sure?  Because to me it sounds like you're asking for getting dumped on your ass, then being left on foot in the middle of the desert with a dorf raider standing over you two-handing a giant club.

It creates a situation where the ideal raider is someone who can immediately make a mount bolt with heavy shots...so you're talking about dwarves and half-giants ruling the sands even more than they already do.

I mean...what's the defense against a dwarf who can make your mount bolt in the opening round of combat?  There's no danger to the raider, because the mount is almost certainly going to bolt, not fight.  You can't guard a mount you're riding.  You can't rescue the mount, because it's gone by the time you can get a rescue off.  You get bucked off and lagged...by the time you can get up, the dwarf's kill-lag is over, and now he can reel-lock or charge you.  It makes being a raider a very simple formula:  roll dwarf, prioritize strength, spar a little, win.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Honestly? Synthesis has a point.

I sort of like the idea of fighting mounts, instead, though. Got these big beasts who you can ride into combat and they're perfectly capable of combat themselves, but they never really participate outside of the charge/trample combo. I think it'd be cool to consider changing that. Some balance would have to be considered, though.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.