Where Players Found Us: August 2018

Started by Caerus, September 10, 2018, 07:27:52 PM

Total New Accounts: 123 accounts
Total New Accounts With >30 Minutes Playtime: 28 accounts

Source                                         +30 minutes                                         All
Friend                                         8 accounts                                         15 accounts
HackerNews (the cabinet article I think)                                         4 accounts                                         12 accounts
Google                                         2 accounts                                         12 accounts
Reddit                                         2 accounts                                         11 accounts
Top Mud Sites                                         2 accounts                                         2 accounts
The Mud Connector                                         1 accounts                                         10 accounts
Other Sources                                         9 accounts                                         61 accounts

Interesting sources:
"I was looking for another RP enforced Mud to play and this one got a lot of recommendation.   "
"Staff are awesome!" <- This was a staffer account.  ;D
"Online Article"
"I used to MUD in the mid-late 90s and have revisited with my brother for nostalgia's sake. I used to even play ARM."
"Father"

Notes:
Three accounts in the other category were us, new staffers (Emme, Ekilore, and I). Hello, world!

So what do you think? Any stories on how you found the game?

I started out at Gemstone. Got disgusted with the "trading card" mentality of people buying and selling their character accounts for real actual money (one guy actually made - and paid taxes on - over $100,000 total). Found a MOO founded by fans of Legends of Future Past, played there and was head builder for a couple of years. Had a falling out with one of their admin, one of the players suggested Armageddon. Another of the players was also playing Armageddon as well (but it was the other one that suggested it to me). I came here I think a week before the huge explosion in Tuluk, back in 2002, the rebellion I think was at its peak, if I remember right. Rolled up a Nakki. Been playing since.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I found Arm on an article on a site called downloads.com
"Bring out the gorgensplat!"

You can blame Socko for me finding this game.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I think I found arm on mudconnector or topmudsites. I, too, started in Gemstone and was looking for a more realistic RPI MUD experience that featured permadeath.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

I used to play Dark and Shatttered Lands which is a Dragonlance (very loosely based at this point as it's evolved) rpe pk mud. I wanted to find something where death had a consequence instead of always coming back, because it made the rp aspects of the game moot most of the times. Large plots would roll on forever, because characters cannot die permanently unless there is some staff story line going on. I remember looking around for a notch above "enforced" and found "intensive." Then went down a rabbit hole of discovering there were actually muds out there that had permadeth and then found Arm due to its world built on familiar and interesting concepts.

Found a telnet talker called "Just 4 Kids" when I was really young while searching for teen chatrooms.  Shudder, in retrospect, probably just a facade for the pedos on another talker (sex-based) likely farming from one oriented toward kids.

But, the common link was telnet, and, eventually, I was introduced to a MUD because, just like the talker, telnet was used.

and it was a good MUD but flawed because of "rent" whenever you quit out.  Basically, you would be charged coins for each item you quit out with, and if you stayed out of the game long enough, your coins would be depleted and you lost all your items.

Eventually, I found a SMAUG-based MUD called Cryptic Inspiration.  Barely any players at all.  More staff than players.  So, they spent a lot of time and effort making an RP-oriented quest or two for me, which was just unlike anything I had ever experienced before.  It was great.

Hooked on roleplay, I then tried another SMAUG MUD with a higher playerbase, and it was a roleplay MUD despite not being perma-death.  Lots of emote-fights and silly shit, but someone there had played Arm and told me about it.  Aside from MUME and some GodWars MUDs periodically over the course of a couple of years, I solely stuck with ArmageddonMUD.
Bear with me

I think I googled permadeath RPG or something like that.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Don't remember how I found Arm, but I do remember I tried to app a forest ranger or something but got so intimidated by the docs that I gave up and didn't try applying again for another several months. My first char was a human burglar with the same name as my account name, with a scar on his ankle I mentioned in my background. He was, of course, me if I  were the age I am now (14 or so during the app) but buff.

I was introduced to this game three times before I stuck with it. The second time I asked the room of Gaj npcs for work, waited five minutes, left, and it was storming too much to move. An employer of some kind (too dark to see them) arrived, and frowned at me, telling me I should have waited. Doormat that I am, I didn't know how to say sorry so I just exited the game and didn't try again for... five years? Then it got me hooked.

The first time a high school kid in a class different from mine was playing it and it looked interesting.

I kept coming back because it was a desert game, a text game and seemed to be a real game instead of that one where you >go dennis from Homestar Runner.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I was playing Achaea and someone suggested this MUD because I seemed interested in roleplaying rather than mudsex? Little did I know....
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Rumor on September 13, 2018, 09:48:20 AM
I used to play Dark and Shatttered Lands which is a Dragonlance (very loosely based at this point as it's evolved) rpe pk mud. I wanted to find something where death had a consequence instead of always coming back, because it made the rp aspects of the game moot most of the times. Large plots would roll on forever, because characters cannot die permanently unless there is some staff story line going on. I remember looking around for a notch above "enforced" and found "intensive." Then went down a rabbit hole of discovering there were actually muds out there that had permadeth and then found Arm due to its world built on familiar and interesting concepts.

Similar with me back in 2003. I think someone I knew from DSL said that there was a permadeath mud and I was like, wait, conflicts can be resolved?

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I first found arm while I was researching the apocalypse and Armageddon, and I wasn't at all impressed by the lack of graphics or how those NPCs I thought were players wouldn't respond. My first app got rejected because I wanted to have a tattoo with initials in a heart on my character's shoulder. I lost interest for a while after dying to a scrab or something, with my next character.  Then my brother started playing Achaea, and I was really condescending towards it, like 'Dude, there is color? And your killing things for experience, in mere seconds?? Pff, I play a real text game.' He hated it, but after all my self-righteous ripping on other games, I got back into Arm, really started reading the docs (not thoroughly enough), but I actually got hooked on it when I died because I made an elf searching for a magic cloak to make them invisible. I went straight to Oash, they gladly took me someplace private to talk about it. The ensuing torture and murder really shook me, and inspired me to 'get good'. Wow, I am so ashamed of my teenage self.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.