Objectives of the karma system

Started by Insigne, September 02, 2018, 12:32:14 AM

I understand that the response in this thread might be a rough estimation, but I found myself with a few questions about the karma revamp after seeing it.

In the Proposed Karma Changes thread:
QuoteThe end goal of this project is that all players that play by the rules and act as good players should be able to achieve the full 3 points of karma. This would make 3 karma the norm, rather than the exception.

Have the objectives of the karma system changed since then? If so, what changes have been put forth to limit the number of higher-karma players?

There is no limit to the number of people we want in any one karma bracket - there is just the reality that some players avoid playing to documentation in certain situations that will keep them from getting to that first/second/third point. Ideally we want everyone to be three karma players who are always engaged in their role and take the vNPC world into account and never do anything anachronistic or against the lore of the game...

But that's just an impossible standard. So we have the karma criteria broken up into various different paths that players can reach towards to get their next point of karma.

To clarify my response to that original thread... yes, we would "like" for everyone to be 3 karma, but as Akariel said, it's not realistic.

My previous post was probably worded poorly - my apologies.  The post from a year ago could probably be worded better too, but all it's trying to say is that with the new (3 point) karma scale, it's more attainable to get to max karma than it was before. 

It shouldn't be interpreted that we one day expect to see 80% of the mud running around with max karma.  But if we get there, where the overall quality of play is that high - then great.