What's the deal with..?

Started by Strongheart, August 28, 2018, 03:32:50 PM

August 28, 2018, 03:32:50 PM Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 03:37:52 PM by Strongheart
Something I've noticed whenever I play a wilderness type of character is that I find a lot of non-aggro mobs left to die or who are unconcious. I have to know, what is the reason for doing this? It's a jarring thing to find a bunch of beaten up or nearly dead creatures, honestly. I can understand doing so to aggressive creatures as a warning or whatever reason, but it makes no sense to do this to friendly ones. There is no reason that I can find to just leave them there because I doubt the individual(s) who did it are going to bother coming back for the scraps. I also doubt most Zalanthans would be considering grebbers either, just saying.

Thoughts?

I know of a couple of reasons why you might see this:

1. People who don't really need any pieces of dead animals, but still do need to work on their offense, or parry, or sword use, or throwing skill, other coded skills, etc. They don't want to kill the thing, they just want to use it for target practice.

2. Aggro mobs that chase these critters around, pound on them til they fall unconscious, and the aggro's code thinks the critter is dead and it moves on to aggro on something else.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

August 28, 2018, 04:53:24 PM #2 Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 04:55:09 PM by Sunburned
Quote from: Lizzie on August 28, 2018, 04:46:15 PM
I know of a couple of reasons why you might see this:

1. People who don't really need any pieces of dead animals, but still do need to work on their offense, or parry, or sword use, or throwing skill, other coded skills, etc. They don't want to kill the thing, they just want to use it for target practice.

2. Aggro mobs that chase these critters around, pound on them til they fall unconscious, and the aggro's code thinks the critter is dead and it moves on to aggro on something else.

I don't think #1 is an actual legit issue. If anything, people count on respawn of mobs for their character's work/training, and a mortally wounded beast is indefinitely incapacitated without respawn and isn't of use to anyone. There's more incentive to finish them off.

Edited to add: I guess beasts beat to unconsciousness could be left for twinkish recycling, but its not something I've actually seen happen.
"A man's past is not simply a dead history... it is a still quivering part of himself, bringing shudders and bitter flavours and the tinglings of a merited shame."
-George Eliot

August 28, 2018, 05:35:02 PM #3 Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 05:37:36 PM by yousuff
I know I do it out of maliciousness, mostly to deny other players the ability to use it for training because you can't gain anything from it and it won't respawn quickly #petty
Also killing blows lag you out for a bit, so if you're impatient like me you just walk off and leave it for dead.
yousuck

Quote from: yousuff on August 28, 2018, 05:35:02 PM
I know I do it out of maliciousness, mostly to deny other players the ability to use it for training because you can't gain anything from it and it won't respawn quickly #petty
Also killing blows lag you out for a bit, so if you're impatient like me you just walk off and leave it for dead.

Wait, what did I just read? That's ridiculously OOC and abusive.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Quote from: crymerci on August 28, 2018, 05:43:36 PM
Quote from: yousuff on August 28, 2018, 05:35:02 PM

Wait, what did I just read? That's ridiculously OOC and abusive.
I'm joking :) The main reason (at least for me) is the laggy latter part.
yousuck

Stop trolling, man.

Some aggressive creatures drive other critters to neg hp. So its common to find that. Unfortunately/fortunately npcs at 0hp or negative do no deteriorate, or regen. So they are stuck there.

Consider placing a mention about it in the "improvement of mud" thread?

I guess I am curious as to how it's okay to just go running around, beating up non-hostile mobs until they're nearly dead, and just leaving them there.

Gotta train charge and trample somehow.

Quote from: MeTekillot on August 29, 2018, 01:52:16 AM
Gotta train charge and trample somehow.

So, you'd be fine with me training backstab on orphan kids in the Rinth then?

Train it on random Allanaki NPCs like a real man.

Alrighty, train charge and trample on Grey Forest critters like a real man.

Quote from: Strongheart on August 29, 2018, 04:13:42 AM
I just want to state I find the back and forth between you and Metekillot very amusing. Real men train backstab on Allanaki soldier npcs or Red Storm mul guards ;D Sun Runners exist for trample and charge training.
yousuck

Personally, I used to leave certain aggro mobs mort-wounded because they were poisonous or extremely dangerous and respawned at the cyclic rate, so I did it as a sort of IC/OOC favor to noobs, so they didn't get instagibbed.

Doesn't apply to non-aggro mobs, but...*shrug*.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 29, 2018, 10:09:16 AM
Personally, I used to leave certain aggro mobs mort-wounded because they were poisonous or extremely dangerous and respawned at the cyclic rate, so I did it as a sort of IC/OOC favor to noobs, so they didn't get instagibbed.

I was gonna say, I know people leave the 'rinth npc's mortally wounded just so they won't respawn, which I always found incredibly stupid.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I don't mean to be petty, but it confuses me that you would say this because on another thread you just said that you think NPCs heal very quickly from a mortally wounded state.

From https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Desert%20Elf%20Roleplay

"For the same reason, most desert elves would be wary of over-hunting. Not for ecological reasons, but because if they share the territory with any other tribes, which they probably do, then consuming more than their fair share of resources could create a lot of hostility and territory wars."

I remember reading others, but I don't really want to search them all down. There are IC reasons to want to not kill everything, either from documentation or from an individual character's motivations.

I think this is largely NPC behavior, not player behavior. Except in certain circumstances such as the kagor murder road.

Quote from: yousuff on August 29, 2018, 08:19:34 AM
Quote from: Strongheart on August 29, 2018, 04:13:42 AM
I just want to state I find the back and forth between you and Metekillot very amusing. Real men train backstab on Allanaki soldier npcs or Red Storm mul guards ;D Sun Runners exist for trample and charge training.

;)

Quote from: cnemus on August 29, 2018, 12:51:08 PM
From https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Desert%20Elf%20Roleplay

"For the same reason, most desert elves would be wary of over-hunting. Not for ecological reasons, but because if they share the territory with any other tribes, which they probably do, then consuming more than their fair share of resources could create a lot of hostility and territory wars."

I remember reading others, but I don't really want to search them all down. There are IC reasons to want to not kill everything, either from documentation or from an individual character's motivations.

What I am trying to say is that there is no documented reason for some PC to beat down mobs who are non-hostile and leave them unconcious or wounded.

Quote from: Miradus on August 29, 2018, 02:33:12 PM

I think this is largely NPC behavior, not player behavior. Except in certain circumstances such as the kagor murder road.

I disagree and have found these are the actions of PCs given that the region I have seen this done in holds non-aggressive creatures only.

Quote from: Armaddict on August 29, 2018, 10:56:51 AM

I was gonna say, I know people leave the 'rinth npc's mortally wounded just so they won't respawn, which I always found incredibly stupid.

I can forgive this type of behavior, it makes more sense. If and only if these Rinthi NPCs are aggressive mobs that are open to attack others, leaving them to bleed out or unconcious has IC implications that whoever took this thing out is bigger and badder than that thing.

I really can't answer then unless you're disclosing the region and the mobs you're finding incap.

For me, I don't normally leave anything alive unless it's a kagor or snake which I incap as I'm moving through. Anything else I'm killing for a purpose and I want the skin/hide/meat/bones. Even if I'm just twinking on a non-hostile mob, I still want what it yields and I definitely want it to be there later when it respawns and I pass back through the area.

Quote from: Miradus on August 29, 2018, 04:45:59 PM

I really can't answer then unless you're disclosing the region and the mobs you're finding incap.

The Pah is the most notable in memory, but I know I've seen similar activities all over.

Quote from: Strongheart on August 29, 2018, 03:25:36 PM

What I am trying to say is that there is no documented reason for some PC to beat down mobs who are non-hostile and leave them unconcious or wounded.

While there are potentially abusive ways to train skills, there are what seems perfectly reasonable practicing motivations to do this followed by perfectly reasonable motivations to not kill it. Catch/release fishing is a real-world correlation. A hunter wants to get better at hunting, but not RPly kill off the population. I don't want to give examples of what I consider unrealistic, that line will fall in different places for different people, but as long as you keep your actions reasonable for your character, I see no problem with it.

A decent chunk of these unconscious mobs likely are NPC on NPC violence, but I can say with certainty it is not exclusively the cause.

A character coming across such an unconscious creature has choices in how to react to it, disgust at waste, opportunity for free stuff, or even a cuddle-buddy for the night [joking, don't perv on NPCs that can't react]. If someone is repeatedly doing something unrealistic or exploitative, staff will notice. We as players can have our characters react how we feel is appropriate and if you want to hunt down the people doing this and do something about it because it offends your character, go for it.

How is stabbing something up so bad that it would reasonably bleed out if it weren't an NPC in any way a valid roleplaying strategy of being ecologically friendly?