Idea / Minigame - Battle Pets

Started by mansa, July 30, 2018, 11:33:08 PM

July 30, 2018, 11:33:08 PM Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:36:06 PM by mansa
Battle Pets

A minigame where you can capture, challenge, and battle your pet items you've collected across the known world!
Various merchants sell beetles, snakes, birds, and other "item" classified pets that are wearable.  With a few modifications, some code, and a lot of love, we could create a fun game that people can waste their time and precious obsidian coins on.  You can become the best pet battler in the known!

Imagine finding other 'master' battle pet trainers, and challenging them to a dual.  Maybe they cheat, maybe they are sore losers, maybe you can win your coins back.

It all begins with the battle pets:
The battle pets should have these particular flags to the item:
  • item type - battlepet
  • current hp
  • max hp
  • pet type
  • pet "level"
  • special flag for special move*

There could be a Battle Pet Arena Container Item
When you place two Battle Pets inside the Arena, the 'fight' starts, and they randomly roll an attack against each other.  This could even be a backpack, tabletop, or -any- container item.   Combat messages are echoed to the room the container item exists in.
When they are level 1, they only have 2 different attacks.
When they get to level 2, they have 3 different attacks.
When they get to level 5, they have 4 different attacks.
When they get to level 10, they have 5 different attacks.
Max level is 15.

Each time they 'lose' a match, they lose 1 HP.  When they have 0 HP they have a 50% chance to DIE or become 'wounded' and need to be healed somehow.
When they are level 1, they have 3 HP.  Each time they 'win' a battle, they level up.  When they level up, they get full HP and they get 1 more HP.

They follow this matrix:

Pet 1 is the first pet in the container.  Pet 2 is the second pet in the container.

Battle Pets come in many shapes and sizes.
You can separate the 'pet types' into animal family types.  Snakes.  Beetles.  Cockroaches.  Jozhal.  Birds.  Falcons.  Each Pet Type would have 5 types of attacks, which would require 5 echos.  Maybe it could have it's own unique 'die' message as well.

As more pet types exist, we could get the playerbase to write up new combat emotes.
'snake does a strike attack with it's fang!'
'rat squeeks and runs around, biting at random'
'the beetle uses it's mandible and strikes.'
'bird uses wing, it is ineffectual'

More rare and exotic pets could get a 'special' attack, which can be randomly triggered to cause additional damage.  I'd say 1/500 is a good timer.

Battle Pets 2.0:
Betting Code with NPCs

Battle Pets 3.0:
Cheating maybe?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

well, I dunno about such a metagame-rich format for this, but cock-fights, dog-fights, and beetle-fights are all pastimes in various cultures in the world, and it involves animal cruelty which feels zalanthan, and also the immortality of pet objects in game always kind of bugged me, so I think this seems reasonable.

Not sure about the exact format though. I just don't see myself getting into it...I'd like to just pit two beetles against each other and see one of them end up dead, and maybe exchange coin over the bet. Maybe just hide every single aspect of the code for it, like how many things work in armageddon.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2