Author Topic: Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game  (Read 23542 times)

Mercy

Re: Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game
« Reply #525 on: January 06, 2019, 09:52:50 PM »
Can "<person> has arrived from the <direction" be updated to display walk speed? If someone comes sprinting into the room, you wouldn't know it until they sprint out the other side. Always feels odd to me.

X-D

« Reply #526 on: January 07, 2019, 12:48:19 AM »
I like that and second it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #527 on: January 07, 2019, 04:01:10 AM »
Yes, I support the walking speed indicator as well.

Code: [Select]
The yellow mul sneaks in from the west.
The yellow mul runs in from the west.
The yellow mul walks in from the west.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Alesan

« Reply #528 on: January 07, 2019, 11:01:17 AM »
Can "<person> has arrived from the <direction" be updated to display walk speed? If someone comes sprinting into the room, you wouldn't know it until they sprint out the other side. Always feels odd to me.

I've never understood why this isn't the case. We need this.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #529 on: January 08, 2019, 09:29:19 AM »

I've reconsidered the messages for arrival, primarily because the word 'in' suggests a room or other enclosed space of some sort.

The yellow mul comes sneaking from the west.
The yellow mul comes running from the west.
The yellow mul comes flying from the west.
The yellow mul comes walking from the west.

KittenLicks

« Reply #530 on: January 08, 2019, 01:14:11 PM »
This might be a result of me doing something wrong, or it might be intentional, but I don't think entering/leaving a place leaves tracks you can see with hunt. I feel like it should, because, well, walking into that building is as much walking as walking east is. It's odd that it seems to be excluded.
Quote from: Armageddon
You can't wear the spider.

Alesan

« Reply #531 on: January 08, 2019, 01:39:06 PM »

I've reconsidered the messages for arrival, primarily because the word 'in' suggests a room or other enclosed space of some sort.

I'm not sure why this distinction is necessary.

The yellow mul walks in from outside.
These two lines seem pretty distinct to me.

Hauwke

« Reply #532 on: January 08, 2019, 03:04:58 PM »
Maybe even just the mul arrives from the east, at a walk.
The mul arrives from the east, at a run.
The mul arrives from the east, trying to sneak.

MeTekillot

« Reply #533 on: January 08, 2019, 04:27:22 PM »
Alesan has the right of it in my opinion. It's syntactically correct and won't interfere with movement emotes.
we are here to hack motherfuckers up with bone swords,

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #534 on: January 08, 2019, 06:51:35 PM »

I'm not sure why this distinction is necessary.

The yellow mul walks in from outside.
These two lines seem pretty distinct to me.
Nessessary? Nah, it's not. However, when I propose anything, I try to think it out as much as possible, and it's just that the word 'in' in the phrase 'The yellow mul walks in from the west.' isn't technically correct if you're in the middle of the Salt Flats. I'm overly worried about perfection there, that's all, for no real reason.

And yeah, Hawk, the movement message needs to remain a simple sentence so that when adding pre and post emotes, it stays as it's own simple thought within a much more complex sentence. Although ...

Sauntering slowly, the yellow mul comes walking from the west, whistling.
Sauntering slowly, the yellow mul walks in from the west, whistling.
Sauntering slowly, the yellow mul arrives from the west, at a walk, whistling.

... it's not too bad, unless you start tossing a ton more commas in there because your emotes are complex.

Lizzie

« Reply #535 on: January 08, 2019, 10:24:37 PM »
The yellow mul has arrived from the west, walking.
The yellow mul has arrived from the west, sneaking.
The yellow mul has arrived from the west, running.

Emoted movement can be appended:

The yellow mul has arrived from the west, walking and whistling a happy tune.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #536 on: January 09, 2019, 12:05:38 AM »
Running mentioned in arrival message. Stealth mentioned in both departure and arrival except when you're attempting to blend into a crowd - then don't indicate attempted stealth in either room. (Honestly, I hate seeing stealth messages in the city.)

Running:
- The yellow mul runs east.
- The yellow mul runs in from the west.

Walking, or sneaking in populated city rooms:
- The yellow mul walks east.
- The yellow mul has arrived from the west.

Sneaking, except in populated city rooms:
- The yellow mul stealthily moves east.
- The yellow mul slips in from the west.
then the father hen will call his chickens home

KittenLicks

« Reply #537 on: January 10, 2019, 02:17:15 PM »
It would be really nice if you could look at things you see in the distance. Something like:

look north animal
I've had a handful of instances where someone would ask "What did you see?" and I'd have to be like "Um.. a kiteswooper.. I think it's a bird? Maybe some kind of rat?"

Balance concerns: It honestly just shouldn't be usable on players, because that'd result in a major gameplay shift.

~

Similar to that, it'd be nice if peek would allow you to look at things in people's inventory's. Maybe just something like letting "look person's item" work on items in their inventory if you have peek. Currently you can see "a bright pink candy" in someone's inventory and the only way to know what that looks like is if you've happened to bought one before.

Balance concerns: None I can think of, assuming this wouldn't allow you to view paper in people's hands. And even if it would, that'd be pretty niche.
Quote from: Armageddon
You can't wear the spider.

« Reply #538 on: January 10, 2019, 02:23:59 PM »
It would be really nice if you could look at things you see in the distance. Something like:

look north animal
I've had a handful of instances where someone would ask "What did you see?" and I'd have to be like "Um.. a kiteswooper.. I think it's a bird? Maybe some kind of rat?"

Balance concerns: It honestly just shouldn't be usable on players, because that'd result in a major gameplay shift.

~

This would be wonderful. Maybe chance-based depending on Scan level and weather - clear and only one room away? Even a novice will never fail. Sandy and three rooms out? Better hope you're advanced.

That way you can just be like "IDK sarge, didn't get a good look on it but it looked flappy" or smth if you don't succeed.
It's always lizard time.

The Desert Bloom is a Greggs, tbh.

« Reply #539 on: January 12, 2019, 08:08:57 AM »
add "trunk" to locdescs available for tattoos

It's a better alternative to body or shoulder if you want a chest tat or an over the heart tat.

I could tattoo my left nipple but I feel that would send the wrong message.
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

Alesan

« Reply #540 on: January 12, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »
add "trunk" to locdescs available for tattoos

It's a better alternative to body or shoulder if you want a chest tat or an over the heart tat.

I could tattoo my left nipple but I feel that would send the wrong message.

Yes! Any wear location should be a valid scar/tattoo location too. I also wish that tattoos and scars were covered more logically by the gear you wear. Taking my rucksack off my shoulder shouldn't reveal my shoulder tattoo. I'm wearing a cloak/shirt/etc, that's what should be covering it.

Roleplaying around someone spotting your tattoo when they shouldn't have actually seen it is awkward and weird.

Heade

« Reply #541 on: January 21, 2019, 11:11:01 PM »
How about a search function that doesn't bring the GDB to it's knees...I mean, if it had knees, it'd be on them.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #542 on: January 22, 2019, 12:38:59 AM »
I also wish that tattoos and scars were covered more logically by the gear you wear. Taking my rucksack off my shoulder shouldn't reveal my shoulder tattoo. I'm wearing a cloak/shirt/etc, that's what should be covering it.

Roleplaying around someone spotting your tattoo when they shouldn't have actually seen it is awkward and weird.
Yep.

Cabooze

« Reply #543 on: January 22, 2019, 03:02:09 PM »
Quote from: Nessalin
January 21st, 2019 (Monday)

(Nessalin)
-Mount names will stick on mount between logging out/logging in for mounted/hitched mounts.
-Mount names will stick on mount between renting mount/offering token.
-Getting a mount from a stablemaster will cause your character to attempt to auto-hitch it (this will only fail if your character already has the maximum number of mounts hitched to them).

Thank you so much for this.

But now, I think we need to have the tickets retain a keyword from the mount it belonged to, IE a named mount's title or if it does not have a title, the type of mount it is (inix, beetle, etc).

Hauwke

« Reply #544 on: January 22, 2019, 05:18:19 PM »

(Nessalin)
-Mount names will stick on mount between logging out/logging in for mounted/hitched mounts.
-Getting a mount from a stablemaster will cause your character to attempt to auto-hitch it (this will only fail if your character already has the maximum number of mounts hitched to them).

But now, I think we need to have the tickets retain a keyword from the mount it belonged to, IE a named mount's title or if it does not have a title, the type of mount it is (inix, beetle, etc).

This would just be the icing on the cake, it really would.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #545 on: January 23, 2019, 12:21:57 AM »

(Nessalin)

Oh, shit ... yes, I didn't really think about how there's no thread for thanking staff for the various things they throw in game. Maybe I should start one. But thanks so much for this, staff.

However.

I say no to the named keyword on the ticket. I say this because a Zalanthan can't read. Perhaps you can argue they'd mark it or something, but since that ticket is recycled from stabler to stabler, I doubt there'd be room to mark anything on it at all in very short order.

I'm alright with the struggle of remembering what the damned ticket was.

I'm also alright with the type of mount being denoted on the ticket, ie ticket for a beetle, or erdlue, or whatnot. Something simple. But not the named mount's keyword.

Heade

« Reply #546 on: January 23, 2019, 10:59:48 AM »

(Nessalin)

Oh, shit ... yes, I didn't really think about how there's no thread for thanking staff for the various things they throw in game. Maybe I should start one. But thanks so much for this, staff.

However.

I say no to the named keyword on the ticket. I say this because a Zalanthan can't read. Perhaps you can argue they'd mark it or something, but since that ticket is recycled from stabler to stabler, I doubt there'd be room to mark anything on it at all in very short order.

Ok, if we're going all realism on it and shit...how does the stablemaster know which tickets are for which mounts if they all look the same and have no markings? Can't be by the person dropping it off, or stealing tickets wouldn't work and tickets in general would be pointless. Obviously we're meant to suspend disbelief and assume that each ticket is uniquely marked to signify a particular transaction, but codedly they aren't.

I think adding a coded tag for mount sdesc on the ticket would be a good thing, in general. It adds to the playability of the game. Even if it doesn't add the sdesc, but instead has a "stamp" on the ticket, for instance:

The braided purple ticket has been stamped with the image of a war beetle/inix/erdlu/etc. That way, you at least know what TYPE of creature it is, and it wouldn't require a suspension of disbelief regarding their inability to read.

EDIT: Also, thanks to Nessalin and all the staff who may have put input on this change! It really is an excellent quality of life alteration! Although, it DOES put a damper on the idea of making a mount thief who hangs out in stables hiding, and mounts other people's stuff as soon as they get it out of the stables! lol
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 11:02:08 AM by Heade »
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

ShaLeah

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

« Reply #548 on: January 25, 2019, 11:06:21 AM »
I love the stable code change SO MUCH

Just had to squeal somewhere  :P

« Reply #549 on: January 27, 2019, 11:40:16 AM »
(Nessalin)
-Mount race now shows up by looking at ticket.
  "It has the image of a %s etched onto it."
-If the character looking at the ticket is the one that named the mount they
  will see the name on the ticket.
  "You think this is the ticket for your mount, '%s'."
-Clan specific stables now use the new code that persists mount names on tickets.