Author Topic: Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game  (Read 8732 times)

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
Re: Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2018, 05:01:09 PM »
QOL: Requiring a manual confirmation to junk or sell a container item that has other items inside.

Less typing: Having "who" also show your "who c" info if you have it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 05:06:34 PM by valeria »

deskoft

« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2018, 05:09:34 PM »
include a post emote possibility to the Shout command?

Shout (cupping ^me hand to the side of ^me face) Rawrgrlrlg! [in a poor attempt to sound like a ravenous gortok]

In the room, the mangy red and black maned woman shouts, in allundean, cupping her hand to the side of her face, in a poor attempt to sound like a ravenous gortok:
"Rawgrlrlg!"

In nearby rooms
A female voice shouts in an unknown language, in a poor attempt to sound like a ravenous gortok:
"Rawrgrlrlg!"

It WOULD be really cool if more commands like SAY and TELL had the possibility of a post-emote.

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2018, 05:15:33 PM »
Syntax: Having "list" in a room with two or more shops ask you to specify which shop you want to list, instead of automatically showing the first shop. Or at least indicating that a second shop is also present.

Syntax: No longer have the tattooist prevent you from accessing any other shops in a room.

Syntax: Making purchase of items by sdesc or number consistent among types of shops. (Instead of mount sellers and apartments functioning differently.)

Syntax/confusion: Having "buy water" tell you the syntax for buying water, if this hasn't been changed already.

Syntax: Have the clan cook tell you what you asked for and possibly also what they CAN make when they tell you "I can't make that."

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2018, 05:24:52 PM »
Syntax: Allow [wear canteen over shoulder (slinging it)] to either function, or to give a more intelligent error message. Right now you're required to [wear canteen (slinging it) over shoulder] which never feels natural to me.

Syntax: Allow [fill container] to have pre and post emotes.

QOL: If you try to fill from an empty container, display what the container you tried to fill from was instead of just "It is empty."

QOL/Syntax: Either allow you to target people during movement related emotes, or have the command fail, instead of the current way it displays your ~amos plain text

Cabooze

« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2018, 12:39:37 AM »
Syntax: Allow [fill container] to have pre and post emotes.

QOL: If you try to fill from an empty container, display what the container you tried to fill from was instead of just "It is empty."

Perhaps also, when you fill something from any container, instead of just giving you an 'Ok.' message, it tells you what exactly you're filling your container from.

mansa

« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2018, 12:45:47 AM »
I feel like some of the prone / stunned / ko'd timers are too long.

Is there a way to reduce is to be a maximum of 15 minutes real life?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Hauwke

« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2018, 01:48:10 AM »
Overuse of the way or getting punched upside the head only takes 10 mins to recover from.

« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2018, 01:52:04 AM »
There's only one timer I can think of that has a timer of one hour and honestly if you're hit with THAT timer, you're dead anyway without help or a miracle.

That being said, it'd be nice if /that timer/ was reduced to 30 minutes as 1 hour is still a long ass time.
It's always lizard time.

The Desert Bloom is a Greggs, tbh.

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2018, 11:38:28 AM »
As per this:
5 pages of discussion in this thread, and I still don't see a request for it in the Developer Request that deals with syntax.

Or maybe I am missing it.  It is the morning and mornings suck.

QOL/Syntax: To facilitate characters who look neither male nor female, add "other" as an option for character creation to the existing M/F option, add they/them/their as display options to the chart shown on this page.

Remove gender from voice or make voice sounds customizable.

Remove gendered display of people in form-concealing garb such as cloaks.

« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2018, 12:06:19 PM »
As per that same topic:

1)

When a person is fully and utterly cloaked to the point of their everything being indiscernible, gender should be a part of that cloaking. I shouldn't be able to tell a hooded male mantis from a hooded female mantis if I can't even tell they're a /mantis/.

The syntax change would be as follows:

a) 'She is carrying...' / 'He is carrying...' / 'It is carrying...' etc to change to 'They are carrying...' if the character is fully hooded and concealed as to become 'Figure'. Thus, 'Figure' flagging would be tied to this change.
b) At this time, emotes pointed at them should reflect this change thusly:

Char.|Target Sees|Others See
----------------------------
  ~  |you        |<sdesc>
  %  |your       |<sdesc>'s
  !  |you        |him/her/them
  ^  |your       |his/her/their
  #  |you        |he/she/they
  &  |yourself   |himself/herself/themself
  =  |yours      |<sdesc>'s
  +  |yours      |his/hers/theirs
----------------------------
  @  | <your sdesc>

c) Their voice would, however, remain the same. To colour this better:

2)
The option to set a 'shouting voice' at chargen.

Example:
"What would you like your shouting voice to be? Please keep your character in mind for this and be reasonable. Pick one or two words at most - for example, 'falsetto' would return 'A falsetto voice shouts from the $dir, in $lang'.

input >shrill, feminine"

This should not be changeable on the fly, but rather only changeable as part of a request to change one's description.

Ideally would also replace one's voice in a storm.

3) As per Valeria's post (though not as important on my front), an 'other' option in chargen that aligns someone permanently with the neutral singular they pronouns present in point 1's emoting. Either this, or the option for special-apped nondescript persons to be aligned to these pronouns, rather than 'it'.

#1 and #2 being both in place would render #3 a kindness rather than a necessity, but #1 and #2 would align the lore to the game in a roundabout but somewhat easier to implement way than #3, and allow folk some extra expression in turn.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 02:05:59 PM by MatisseOrOtherwise »
It's always lizard time.

JohnMichaelHenry

« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2018, 12:28:49 PM »
I've moderated this post.

This thread is for suggestions, not comments on other folks suggestions.  Keep to that guideline strictly.

-Brokkr
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 02:01:55 PM by Brokkr »
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2018, 02:58:56 AM »
When lumberjacking:

1) "use axe <specific tree type>" should return, on fail,

There are no <type> trees suitable for lumber here.

2) "use axe" should return, on fail,

You don't see any trees suitable for lumber here.

3) "use axe" should return, indoors or in a city,

You can't chop groves while you're indoors.

4) "use axe <specific tree type>" while keeping a seasoning in your inventory has a seasoning-based failure. Similarly, using a worn or held instrument ("use whistle" around throat, for example) while you have something useable (like an axe) in your inventory gives another failed message. If there is a way to better direct stuff toward stuff, could that be implemented?
It's always lizard time.

Cind

« Reply #112 on: August 08, 2018, 04:37:42 AM »
Fixing the descriptions the landlord npc for the Gaj upstairs gives you for their rooms--- they describe the wrong rooms, at least some of which are irrelevant to their apartment number. For example, if #3 is described as a grass-matted room, it actually has wooden floors and a balcony, and the room being described is actually #5.

Modify the apartment descriptions for other landlord listings, so that you can get a second-floor room if you chose, for example, or one nearer the building exit. Right now most apartment listings are pretty bland I think? They are usually all described with the same line of detail.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

« Reply #113 on: August 08, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »
Along the same veins of the other specifications on error messages, I'd like to suggest the following:

You are carrying:
a [redacted] band

offer ring
You may only offer obsidian coins or an item.

If you offer something that you don't have, rather than just saying "offer coins or an item", it should say "You don't have ['a/an item' or 'that many coins'] to offer. Try offering something else." - with "a/an item" being replaced, such as "You don't have a band to offer. Try offering something else."

Thus specifying where you went wrong.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 09:34:58 AM by MatisseOrOtherwise »
It's always lizard time.

Cabooze

« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2018, 02:13:37 AM »
'toss' command, for when you want to throw something into the next room when you don't have a particular target in mind.

IE: 'Toss torch east', in order to light up a dark room without risking your life in order to get a look at what's lurking in the beyond.

Heade

« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2018, 12:23:01 PM »
'toss' command, for when you want to throw something into the next room when you don't have a particular target in mind.

IE: 'Toss torch east', in order to light up a dark room without risking your life in order to get a look at what's lurking in the beyond.

+1 to this!

I've always thought it was wierd you couldn't make any effort to light up an area before just diving in.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2018, 01:11:45 PM »
Idea: I wonder if there would be a way to fire a lit arrow without a target like this...

Fire arrow near east
Fire arrow far down
Fire arrow very far north

Lit arrows probably don't last long before extinguishing, but this would also solve the issue of needing to have a brand new torch for every room you want to check.

Higher your archery / crossbow use / etc is, higher your chance to shoot the 'right' distance is...

Pros of lit arrows room lighting: cheaper and faster over time to light each new room, thus cheaper and quicker exploration
Cons of lit arrows room lighting: needs skill, many individual arrows, arrows only last X seconds before burning up?
It's always lizard time.

Wday

« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2018, 03:13:30 PM »
Make it so mounts rest when logged off! Like how we get sober they rest and can RP as rested up camping?

OOC means you log on for a good hour of play and not resting a mount for icly days?
Well that almost worked.

« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2018, 03:31:04 PM »
Make it so mounts rest when logged off! Like how we get sober they rest and can RP as rested up camping?

OOC means you log on for a good hour of play and not resting a mount for icly days?

I support this. It should be at a much lower rate than IG resting (which is itself IIRC much lower rate than stable resting) but if I've ""made camp"" for 18 IRL hours, my mount that was tied to me should come back rested too.

Would make wilderness characters FAR more delightful to play cus I don't have to sit there doing absolutely nothing at all whatsoever for 1.5 hours once I'm done playing just to make sure I can come back rested.

Maybe to keep it less OP, it could take a full IC week for full rest (from 'completely exhausted' to 'completely rested'), thereby if you're only logged off for a bit you get a bit of rest back but would probably still be best finding somewhere shady IG.
It's always lizard time.

Akariel

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2018, 05:49:35 PM »
Idea: I wonder if there would be a way to fire a lit arrow without a target like this...

Fire arrow near east
Fire arrow far down

Lit arrows probably don't last long before extinguishing, but this would also solve the issue of needing to have a brand new torch for every room you want to check.

Higher your archery / crossbow use / etc is, higher your chance to shoot the 'right' distance is...

Pros of lit arrows room lighting: cheaper and faster over time to light each new room, thus cheaper and quicker exploration
Cons of lit arrows room lighting: needs skill, many individual arrows, arrows only last X seconds before burning up?

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Skill%20Archery

shoot <distance> <direction>

> es bow
> get arrow backpack
> ep arrow
> shoot far north

Also, while I think we may have forgot to add it to a helpfile, you can LIGHT ARROW FIRE to set an arrow on fire before you shoot it.

« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2018, 05:53:00 PM »

Fire arrow near east
Fire arrow far down

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Skill%20Archery

shoot <distance> <direction>

> es bow
> get arrow backpack
> ep arrow
> shoot far north

Also, while I think we may have forgot to add it to a helpfile, you can LIGHT ARROW FIRE to set an arrow on fire before you shoot it.

Huh. That exists? NEAT! So... Lit arrows stay lit and can fire even if not targetted, then?
Do lit arrows light up a room?

If yes to both, then I am gleeful.
It's always lizard time.

Cabooze

« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2018, 08:11:39 PM »
Useful information

I fucking love you. I never knew this was a thing, nor have I even attempted it prior to this knowledge. This literally rectifies the issue behind my suggestion of being able to 'toss' something and also cuts down on the amount of needless character deaths, venturing into a shady dark room only to get two-hit by a redacted or accidentally stumble into an instant-death room.

Sakra

« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2018, 12:01:58 AM »
Make the stop command stop spells that you have started casting, but not completed.
Quote from: Bhagharva
What you don't know can kill you. What you do know, can kill others.

To the north
[Near]
A lanky, brown-skinned gith is here, humping the rusty brown kank.
The rusty brown kank to the north bleats miserably.

Insigne

« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2018, 07:52:47 AM »
Add the option to 'change directional emote', with a limit of maybe 15-20 characters and a reset similar to 'change mood' after quitting the game to encourage situational usage like...

Code: [Select]
The grizzled woman walks east, with a limp.

« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2018, 09:08:37 AM »
has the argument "about body" been mentioned yet?

...can be worn around the neck.
...can be worn about one's body.
...can be worn about one's throat.

>wear thing body
You can't wear that on your body.

>wear thing about body
about body is an unknown body location.

>wear thing on body
on body is an unknown body location.

Can we make a singular argument for about body? Like 'around body' maybe?

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 09:11:28 AM by only_plays_tribals »