Author Topic: Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game  (Read 32743 times)

gotdamnmiracle

Re: Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game
« Reply #675 on: May 31, 2019, 12:49:48 AM »
Uh. No thanks. I'm pretty sure room pack and room bury would be fine. I don't want my PC to suddenly be dismembering guys when it isn't IC for my PC to do that.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Cabooze

« Reply #676 on: May 31, 2019, 12:52:55 AM »
Uh. No thanks. I'm pretty sure room pack and room bury would be fine. I don't want my PC to suddenly be dismembering guys when it isn't IC for my PC to do that.

Then, room bury, room pack, and humanoid skinning. Seems like something neat.

I've always wanted to make protective clothing out of dwarf-skin.

Hauwke

« Reply #677 on: May 31, 2019, 06:48:05 AM »
If butchering PCs was to become a thing, or at least skinning them. There would 100% need to be some evidence it was done or people would spam out their skinning knife and skin that sucker right there.

oggotale

« Reply #678 on: May 31, 2019, 09:11:49 AM »
(EDIT: Just saw this is QoL, woops, human skinning functionality seems like more than a QoL thing, I assumed staffed made a conscious decision not to implement it. Well, it's either that or it's too hard to code it, which I doubt.)

There's something a bit jarring about the thought of skinning PCs, I mean in terms of realism.
Maybe I'd get used to the Zalanthan culture being one that finds use in human meat/flesh/bones though.

But wasn't cannibalism stigmatized in Zalanthas, it would be a bit jarring to have the general documentation be anti-human-body-salvaging but have hunters in general eager to do exactly that, and there'd be plenty of things to tempt them to do that. Compared to this cost, there isn't much benefit I see coming out of it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 09:13:26 AM by oggotale »

Hauwke

« Reply #679 on: May 31, 2019, 09:50:25 AM »
(EDIT: Just saw this is QoL, woops, human skinning functionality seems like more than a QoL thing, I assumed staffed made a conscious decision not to implement it. Well, it's either that or it's too hard to code it, which I doubt.)

There's something a bit jarring about the thought of skinning PCs, I mean in terms of realism.
Maybe I'd get used to the Zalanthan culture being one that finds use in human meat/flesh/bones though.

But wasn't cannibalism stigmatized in Zalanthas, it would be a bit jarring to have the general documentation be anti-human-body-salvaging but have hunters in general eager to do exactly that, and there'd be plenty of things to tempt them to do that. Compared to this cost, there isn't much benefit I see coming out of it.

In Dark Sun, bodies are viewed as unclean and anyone who so much as touches one is immediately put into group of unclean who are to be avoided. Oddly, along with tanners and I think farmers.

Cabooze

« Reply #680 on: June 01, 2019, 11:10:55 PM »
This is nonmalicious in thought:

Disable Male and Female options for Dwarf characters. Only allow Dwarves to be androgynous.

triste

« Reply #681 on: June 02, 2019, 02:26:57 AM »
This is nonmalicious in thought:

Disable Male and Female options for Dwarf characters. Only allow Dwarves to be androgynous.

While I see where you are coming from, this probably wouldn't fly and people would protest.

I promise to "be the change" and play a concept like this some day, however  ;D

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #682 on: June 02, 2019, 02:08:14 PM »
Some way to tell how many pages are in a book before it has been drawn or written in.

Currently, you have to draw or write something in a book, and then 'look book' to see how many pages it has.  Which kind of stinks if you think a book has 30 pages only to find it out has 12.  Assess only returns a generic page amount.  Maybe "count page book" or something like that.
Too gay to function since the early 2000s.
I do writing.

Tekky

« Reply #683 on: June 02, 2019, 03:22:03 PM »
Some way to tell how many pages are in a book before it has been drawn or written in.

Currently, you have to draw or write something in a book, and then 'look book' to see how many pages it has.  Which kind of stinks if you think a book has 30 pages only to find it out has 12.  Assess only returns a generic page amount.  Maybe "count page book" or something like that.

Read book 99
This book only has 30 pages!

mansa

« Reply #684 on: June 02, 2019, 03:36:12 PM »

IMO, It would be nice to have the game respond with the number of pages without having to type another command to do so, hopefully built into assess or look, in addition to 'count page book'.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

oggotale

« Reply #685 on: June 05, 2019, 02:00:32 AM »
Is it possible to make put X in Y redirect to put X Y.

I thought I'd get used to the put X Y format but I still sometimes end up writing put X in Y because it's so intuitive.

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #686 on: June 05, 2019, 08:14:18 AM »

Read book 99
This book only has 30 pages!

Someone sent me this workaround over PM.  I wouldn't have thought it up on my own though.  I was looking books, trying to assess them, and trying to count them.  Trying to read pages that didn't exist never occurred to me, which is why I still think it would be helpful.
Too gay to function since the early 2000s.
I do writing.

maxid

« Reply #687 on: June 05, 2019, 07:43:12 PM »
Is it possible to make put X in Y redirect to put X Y.

I thought I'd get used to the put X Y format but I still sometimes end up writing put X in Y because it's so intuitive.

This would be great.  I hop between muds sometimes and the difference can be really annoying.

Hauwke

« Reply #688 on: June 08, 2019, 07:29:15 PM »
Fix or change reel code back, such that the one who gets hit can't stop combat like how they currently can.

As it stands currently if you get reeled you can type disengage, and that stops your attacker from attacking as well. I bugged it awhile ago since it seems extremely silly that it works that way.

Cerelum

« Reply #689 on: June 08, 2019, 07:44:46 PM »
Fix or change reel code back, such that the one who gets hit can't stop combat like how they currently can.

As it stands currently if you get reeled you can type disengage, and that stops your attacker from attacking as well. I bugged it awhile ago since it seems extremely silly that it works that way.

I’ve never had disengage stop me from getting hit, only makes me stop beating someone else’s ass.
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Yeah, seriously...find out OOC.

Hauwke

« Reply #690 on: June 09, 2019, 05:45:39 AM »
It used to be that way, but now it seems to be the opposite, which is very weird. Though, mayhaps it is a sparring hall thing? Only time I have seen it occur is sparring halls.

Synthesis

« Reply #691 on: June 11, 2019, 04:30:54 AM »
It used to be that way, but now it seems to be the opposite, which is very weird. Though, mayhaps it is a sparring hall thing? Only time I have seen it occur is sparring halls.

Disengage breaking the fight up after a reel is probably intentional.  It makes sense to me, at least:  if you wreck someone so hard that they can't flee, why is it not intuitive that you also wrecked them so hard that you can simply walk away from them if you want?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Hauwke

« Reply #692 on: June 11, 2019, 08:36:57 AM »

Disengage breaking the fight up after a reel is probably intentional.  It makes sense to me, at least:  if you wreck someone so hard that they can't flee, why is it not intuitive that you also wrecked them so hard that you can simply walk away from them if you want?
That isn't the problem, and I enjoy that!

The problem is that lately it seems that the victim of the reel can stop the fight. Not the reeler. Which is the opposite of how it should be.

Riev

« Reply #693 on: June 12, 2019, 11:56:19 AM »
When you use "salvage" can the echo include the item you are salvaging? Rather than "You begin to salvage" and hope you targeted the right thing?
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Cabooze

« Reply #694 on: June 16, 2019, 08:59:35 AM »
Nosave bandage

Decide whether or not you want someone to randomly walk up to you with a bandage and wrap you up.

Of course, functions like being unconscious with subdue, if you're near death or sleeping, anyone can just walk up and bandage you.

Cabooze

« Reply #695 on: June 20, 2019, 08:06:35 AM »
Add a new layer to verbose assess and view # in stores, where you can check to see if something would be too heavy to pickpocket, if you have the steal skill.

IE:
ass -v sword
You assess a gold-gilded iron longsword...
...it is primarily made of metal.
...can be hooked onto a belt.
...can be worn across one's back.
...testing its weight you decide that you could use it.
...testing its weight you decide it's too heavy to be stolen.
...seems to be a slashing weapon.
...it is very light.

Alesan

« Reply #696 on: June 24, 2019, 10:18:54 AM »
Give us an estimate of how much a liquid container can hold on assess. Something like...

Code: [Select]
...it could hold about two skins worth of liquid.
Please? Pretty please?

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #697 on: June 24, 2019, 05:03:44 PM »
Give us an estimate of how much a liquid container can hold on assess. Something like...

...it could hold about 16 gills of liquid.
then the father hen will call his chickens home

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #698 on: June 24, 2019, 06:08:06 PM »

Please? Pretty please?

... it could hold about 20 sips worth of liquid.

Also, down with cups that only hold a single sip!
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick