Author Topic: Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game  (Read 32254 times)

mansa

Re: Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game
« Reply #625 on: April 24, 2019, 09:48:28 PM »
Someone in Discord asked to have a time check for when you're going to be released from jail.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Veselka

« Reply #626 on: April 24, 2019, 10:09:14 PM »
Someone in Discord asked to have a time check for when you're going to be released from jail.

It'd be nice to have a wanted timer, even. It's rather arbitrary. You're Wanted, then an hour and a half later (or sometimes longer) you're suddenly not.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

mansa

« Reply #627 on: April 24, 2019, 10:48:52 PM »

It'd be nice to have a wanted timer, even. It's rather arbitrary. You're Wanted, then an hour and a half later (or sometimes longer) you're suddenly not.

I don't think it would be good to know how long it lasts when you're not in jail, but if you're already caught it would be good to know how long i'm stuck in a place, or whether the game is broken.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Cerelum

« Reply #628 on: April 24, 2019, 11:06:28 PM »
Speaking of durations...

I would like poison recovery to still tick while you're offline, because as it sits it can take a good hour or so for it to wear off.  And sometimes you get poisoned and log off for the night once you get safe and then have to endure the hour of waiting for the poison to leave your system.

Also, I'm all for a wanted timer when you're not caught.

I don't think the jail really matters, because everytime I get tossed in there, a templar shows up like clockwork, I'm guessing there is some automessage sent to them from the jailer, Hey caught another one.
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Yeah, seriously...find out OOC.

Vex

« Reply #629 on: April 25, 2019, 10:32:26 PM »
A small adjustment to erdlu, to make them more accessible options.

If they had their STR raised, and their STR stat range narrowed, they would be more consistently accessible to humans.

I feel that other than having extremely low accessibility, their benefits and trade offs are good.
"Mortals do drown so."

Feco

« Reply #630 on: April 26, 2019, 12:29:30 AM »
I would like poison recovery to still tick while you're offline, because as it sits it can take a good hour or so for it to wear off.  And sometimes you get poisoned and log off for the night once you get safe and then have to endure the hour of waiting for the poison to leave your system.

I know we should trust everyone, but this is just asking for people to log off to avoid being poisoned to death.
Sunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Namino

« Reply #631 on: April 26, 2019, 12:33:43 AM »

I know we should trust everyone, but this is just asking for people to log off to avoid being poisoned to death.

I got the sense this was in referral to the 'poison recovery' period rather than the 'poison affect' period, by which I mean, for example, when bloodburn has reduced your HP and you have to wait many hours for it to go back to what it used to be.

Cerelum

« Reply #632 on: April 26, 2019, 12:47:59 AM »

I got the sense this was in referral to the 'poison recovery' period rather than the 'poison affect' period, by which I mean, for example, when bloodburn has reduced your HP and you have to wait many hours for it to go back to what it used to be.

That is exactly what I meant.  But truthfully poison should tick while you’re offline too. Quit while poisoned and wake up to chargen for your lack of preparedness.

John

« Reply #633 on: April 26, 2019, 12:58:55 AM »
No. If we allow "poison recovery" to tick while offline (which I'm in favour of), I think we should have poison stop you from being able to quit out like if you had just been in a combat. That way people don't re-enter the game as a corpse. Also quit ooc would still be an option to allow you to quit out while poisoned (but poison doesn't tick while offline).

Vex

« Reply #634 on: April 30, 2019, 01:17:40 AM »
Roll "sit on" function, into "sit at", so that if you try to "sit at" something you're intended to sit on, you just automatically do that, instead, without having to re-enter commands.

Reserve "sit on" for when you want to sit on something, that has seats available, but also the option to sit atop it, like a whore sitting her ass on the table, with seats occupied by horny bynners.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:19:33 AM by Vex »
"Mortals do drown so."

Cerelum

« Reply #635 on: April 30, 2019, 07:41:45 PM »
No. If we allow "poison recovery" to tick while offline (which I'm in favour of), I think we should have poison stop you from being able to quit out like if you had just been in a combat. That way people don't re-enter the game as a corpse. Also quit ooc would still be an option to allow you to quit out while poisoned (but poison doesn't tick while offline).

I'm totally okay with that.  Dying to poison while you're logged out.

I've even seen people abuse being poisoned and logging out, then logging in, spamming psi contacts for people for cures, then logging out.

John

« Reply #636 on: April 30, 2019, 08:05:12 PM »
I've even seen people abuse being poisoned and logging out, then logging in, spamming psi contacts for people for cures, then logging out.
I don't know how you would see that unless you were either staff or a psionicist. But I'm hoping if you weren't on staff that you at least reported it.

Cerelum

« Reply #637 on: April 30, 2019, 08:09:43 PM »
I don't know how you would see that unless you were either staff or a psionicist. But I'm hoping if you weren't on staff that you at least reported it.

It was years ago, back when Salarr had hunters.  Northern barracks, guy got bloodburn and we rode back to the barracks, he was half dead, logged out, I was in the barracks various times when he'd pop back on for a moment, ask if I found cures, then pop back off.  Eventually we found him some and he lived, but yeah it was cheap as shit.

I think this was before the request tool was a thing really, back when you mailed mud email and I assumed someone else in Salarr reported it.

Cabooze

« Reply #638 on: April 30, 2019, 11:19:52 PM »
Nosave receive. Keeps people from giving you things if you're accepting saves on receiving.

Derain

« Reply #639 on: May 05, 2019, 07:41:36 PM »
Dieing in a clan infirmary from poison is ridiculous make clan NPC surgeons cure poison with bandages.

nessalin

• Board Administrator
« Reply #640 on: May 06, 2019, 09:36:48 AM »
Dieing in a clan infirmary from poison is ridiculous make clan NPC surgeons cure poison with bandages.

They will - if you give them what they need.

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,49825.msg1003130.html#msg1003130
"I wanna be an architect"

nessalin

• Board Administrator
« Reply #641 on: May 06, 2019, 11:00:51 AM »
A reminder that this thread is for quality of life improvements.  Things that trip up players and get in the way of playing the game.

Staff will evaluate what is reasonable and feasible.  Please do not respond negatively to other people's posts.
"I wanna be an architect"

Cabooze

« Reply #642 on: May 12, 2019, 08:18:28 PM »
Give ALL classes (or subclasses) Direction Sense.

Some classes, get it higher and closer to master than others.

Some classes, only get it to novice or apprentice.

But to have classes that do not even have the Direction Sense skill?.. Please. No more.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:27:31 PM by Cabooze »

Veselka

« Reply #643 on: May 12, 2019, 08:27:59 PM »
Scan as a skill --

You have to currently spam 'look' or 'look direction' to see people/NPCs hiding, and then stop scanning in order to watch them.

As well, if you try to 'look shadow', even if you saw something in the room with you, it may be when you type look that you don't see the shadow. Sometimes you have to 'look shadow' or 'look' ten or fifteen times directly in a row in order to tick the 'Yes, you saw the shadow, here you go'.

I think it is good that you can't automatically see people with hide < scan, and have to try a bit to see them, but as it currently stands it is a bit wonky.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Cerelum

« Reply #644 on: May 12, 2019, 08:46:03 PM »
Scan as a skill --

You have to currently spam 'look' or 'look direction' to see people/NPCs hiding, and then stop scanning in order to watch them.

As well, if you try to 'look shadow', even if you saw something in the room with you, it may be when you type look that you don't see the shadow. Sometimes you have to 'look shadow' or 'look' ten or fifteen times directly in a row in order to tick the 'Yes, you saw the shadow, here you go'.

I think it is good that you can't automatically see people with hide < scan, and have to try a bit to see them, but as it currently stands it is a bit wonky.

I agree with this.  I almost always will see a shadow then type look shadow five or ten times to actually see it.

I don't know exactly why it's so damn wonky, but I think it should be either pass or fail, not pass this second, fail the next like it currently is.

gotdamnmiracle

« Reply #645 on: May 12, 2019, 08:46:14 PM »
Give ALL classes (or subclasses) Direction Sense.

Some classes, get it higher and closer to master than others.

Some classes, only get it to novice or apprentice.

But to have classes that do not even have the Direction Sense skill?.. Please. No more.

I am somewhat for this, but after having played a bit without it a little equipment can go a long way. I made a thread about it. Heed the shit about wearing sunslits and don't forget to don a hood and a mask too if you think it'll help. Having a torch in an already lit room also can apparently help. It's not 100% but it makes a lot of weather survivable. That said you'll have to pick and choose. You can very literally get lost in the Red or near the silt so watch out. Decide ahead of time if the weather is good enough to travel in.

Scan as a skill --

I'm also coming around on passive watch and listen. Listen can help a ton because if you break a creatures sneak you can notice them and still get out of there. If you're in rantarri country and you hear something creeping up on you are you going to stick around long enough to get a good look at it? I wouldn't. Additionally passive watch can bust some sneak. Not all PVE sneak, but a chunk even at lower levels. Scan is awesome, granted, but unless you're trying to be a career hunter or not get ganked in the Rinth it's not absolutely necessary so long as you know the death rooms to avoid out in the desert. (speaking of, really wish the staff would send the spider deathstacks the way of the turaal stack and nuke em with a volcano blast. It'd make sense if they were guarding a nest or inside a den like a pile of gortoks, but their placement is pretty arbitrary and wandering around without scan can get you killed before you even know what hit you. Pretty cheap).
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Cerelum

« Reply #646 on: May 12, 2019, 08:53:56 PM »
Arrange being able to arrange whole stacks.

So say I have ten long bones laying on the floor, as it sits now I have to type:

arrange long.bone is stacked up here on the floor.
arrange 2.long.bone is stacked up here on the floor.

Until all 10 are arranged.

Maybe make arrange just override the default sdesc of shit laying around to whatever you've named.  Then you can easily organize stacks of stuff without having to either write an alias or do it manually.

oggotale

« Reply #647 on: May 18, 2019, 07:12:59 AM »
Surely this would have been suggested before but:

When you do list <item> to narrow the down items in a seller list, it shouldn't prompt you to also specify the NPC, without any argument it should assume it's the first trader NPC.

Alesan

« Reply #648 on: May 18, 2019, 10:57:29 AM »
Surely this would have been suggested before but:

When you do list <item> to narrow the down items in a seller list, it shouldn't prompt you to also specify the NPC, without any argument it should assume it's the first trader NPC.

Would be nice. I have no idea how that would differentiate between 'list <merchant>' as a syntax though. I didn't even realize this was a feature until a week ago when I was about to suggest it as one and tried 'list <item> <merchant>' as a last ditch effort to make sure it wasn't already before I posted it.

I guess, if it doesn't find a merchant called 'sword' to list for, search for items instead? I don't know.

Mr. Fancypants

« Reply #649 on: May 18, 2019, 12:32:08 PM »
The ability to title one page writing/drawing objects.

The ability to flag a container as title-able so you can sort scrolls into titled binders.

Fix titles so that all words act as keywords. Currently the last word in a title does not act as a keyword.

Update the echo when you read or look at a drawing to include what page you're on and the object you're looking at/reading from.