Author Topic: Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game  (Read 38817 times)

The Warshaper

Re: Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game
« Reply #550 on: January 27, 2019, 10:55:00 PM »
(Nessalin)
-Mount race now shows up by looking at ticket.
  "It has the image of a %s etched onto it."
-If the character looking at the ticket is the one that named the mount they
  will see the name on the ticket.
  "You think this is the ticket for your mount, '%s'."
-Clan specific stables now use the new code that persists mount names on tickets.

Huge quality of life improvement. Thank you.

Jihelu

« Reply #551 on: February 06, 2019, 11:02:36 AM »
Something I Think might spread items around in game a bit more, and I think the code might be there.

Viewing an item in a shop should let you know if you can craft it. It already tells us if we can wear it.

My two suggestions for this.
1: It flat out says "You think you could craft this" If you have the skill and could craft it that day, but doesn't tell you what makes it so you have to buy it or experiment around
2: It tells you exactly how to make it
I'm leaning 1

Mercy

« Reply #552 on: February 06, 2019, 05:14:17 PM »
Can we get a command to stop lifting something? (I.E. when you're trying to pick up something that's too heavy for your character to carry alone) I'm sure it's not the most necessary thing in the world, but it feels very odd to sit down then stand back up, or hunt for an alternate command that lets you direct your grabby hands elsewhere.

Edited to add:
drop <heavy thing>, doesn't work in the event of duplicate keywords (i.e., having an identical container in your inventory as to the one you are lifting) and even keyword <item> and trying to drop #.item will end up trying to drop whats in your inventory over what you're lifting.

Just "drop" standalone would be nice. Honestly, I never considered it >.>
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 04:58:53 AM by Mercy »

Marauder Moe

« Reply #553 on: February 06, 2019, 05:55:00 PM »
Can we get a command to stop lifting something? (I.E. when you're trying to pick up something that's too heavy for your character to carry alone) I'm sure it's not the most necessary thing in the world, but it feels very odd to sit down then stand back up, or hunt for an alternate command that lets you direct your grabby hands elsewhere.

>drop <heavy thing>

KittenLicks

« Reply #554 on: February 06, 2019, 06:21:32 PM »
>drop <heavy thing>

I don't know if it's been fixed in the year since, but "drop <thing>" never worked consistently for me, when I was regularly moving heavy stuff around. I found alias'ing "put x pack" (where 'x' is any item that doesn't exist) to be what worked for me. You seem to automatically drop things you are lifting when you use 'put' so the result is:

Dropping heavy thing first...
You don't see the 'x'!

But yeah, on topic of QoL things, if 'drop thing' doesn't currently work for lifting, it'd be nice if it was fixed.
Quote from: Armageddon
You can't wear the spider.

mansa

« Reply #555 on: February 06, 2019, 08:41:25 PM »
Why not just 'drop' ?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Alesan

« Reply #556 on: February 18, 2019, 03:49:49 PM »
Can we please have the free hand check on the start of the foraging command instead of the end? It makes no sense to be told you need a free hand to forage after you've already tried to forage.

Veselka

« Reply #557 on: February 18, 2019, 04:31:44 PM »
Akin to the new additions of 'barely blocks' and 'barely parries', it'd be nice if misses weren't automatically 'Soandso swiftly dodges your blows'. It'd be nice if you missed, whiffing, hit nothing but air, bounce off a piece of armor, and other sorts of echoes about why you didn't hit. It can sometimes make it seem like an experienced fighter is very swift and fast, which isn't always the case by a long shot.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Jihelu

« Reply #558 on: February 18, 2019, 04:37:05 PM »
That last comment reminds me of regular DnD. In DnD, missing AC doesn't mean you just fuckin', hit air. A Barbarian adds CON to his AC, he's straight up shrugging blows [Most of the time]. It would be cool if there were random, or based on your best stat (I'm thinking random) dodge echoes.

"You take a hit in the chest, but shrug it off."

"You duck a quick blow"

Etc.

Hauwke

« Reply #559 on: February 18, 2019, 04:48:32 PM »
It will end the days of 2 ton monsters dodging a billion blows a second! I second this.

MeTekillot

« Reply #560 on: February 18, 2019, 07:08:38 PM »
Shorten Tradesmen's Street as a way to represent it being a long road (current increased stam cost per room compared to other city rooms) or make it 1 stam per room like Caravan's Road.
Also, I like my cootch to have a pert pink color and nice smell. Knowing my luck I would bonk someone with AIDs, get rotten box, and die miserable.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #561 on: February 18, 2019, 11:13:44 PM »
Akin to the new additions of 'barely blocks' and 'barely parries', it'd be nice if misses weren't automatically 'Soandso swiftly dodges your blows'. It'd be nice if you missed, whiffing, hit nothing but air, bounce off a piece of armor, and other sorts of echoes about why you didn't hit. It can sometimes make it seem like an experienced fighter is very swift and fast, which isn't always the case by a long shot.
I like this a ton.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Veselka

« Reply #562 on: February 19, 2019, 02:27:09 PM »
IF there is no period at the end of a sentence

ADD a period to the end of the sentence.

EDIT:
Which I think is already the case with emotes? It'd just be nice for dialogue, for all the ruff circle dwarves out there.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 05:53:41 PM by Veselka »

--Immanuel Kant

azuriolinist

« Reply #563 on: February 19, 2019, 10:30:04 PM »
IF there is no period at the end of a sentence

ADD a period to the end of the sentence.

EDIT:
Which I think is already the case with emotes? It'd just be nice for dialogue, for all the ruff circle dwarves out there.

This, please!

Insigne

« Reply #564 on: February 20, 2019, 02:26:56 AM »
I like this idea! I just think that 'bounces off a piece of armor' should be under absorbed blows, not dodges.

Veselka

« Reply #565 on: February 20, 2019, 02:48:12 AM »
I like this idea! I just think that 'bounces off a piece of armor' should be under absorbed blows, not dodges.

Yeah, I was thinking a more generic line, since not everyone is wearing armor. Even in combat, elbows, wrists, and footwork is used to avoid blows.

Reasons you missed (Self-Reliant):
Tripping a little before swinging (Bad footwork)
Not finding an opening (Bad judgement)
Briefly grappling (It happens)
Having your arm pushed aside
Getting shoved back

Reasons you missed (Because the other person is better than you):
They step aside at the last second, duck, feinting/fake you out (Better footwork)
You find nothing but air, and they maneuver around you (Better footwork)
You spend a round circling each other

etc.

Fair game as possible flavor messages in place of 'swiftly dodging'. For armor to come into effect, it actually should just rely on the already current armor/deflection code in place.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:53:05 AM by Veselka »

--Immanuel Kant

Jihelu

« Reply #566 on: February 20, 2019, 03:35:24 AM »
It also has to do with how you fight, and your own statistics. Someone who uses a huge two handed sword will differ in how they block, parry, and reflect attacks when compared to someone dualwielding. It will also differ also on their stats.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #567 on: February 20, 2019, 05:20:10 AM »
The messages you get about armor are already linked to the proper things, I think, but there are only two. I'd reword one of them just a bit.

Right now, it's:
You lunge at the angry grey mul, but your blow is deftly deflected by a hefty styrax breastplate.

I'd reword it:
You lunge at the angry grey mul, but your blow is deflected by his hefty styrax breastplate.

Or:
You lunge at the angry grey mul, but your blow is deflected by his breastplate.

But yeah, absolutely, I'm loving the ideas regarding expanded messages about misses in combat, and I'm thankful for the already existing messages. I wouldn't want anything that defined a style. I'd just like simple flavor.

So for dodges, you might see:
You try to slash the angry grey mul, but he steps to the right.
You try to slash the angry grey mul, but he steps to the left.
The angry mul takes a step back, avoiding your slash.
Your slash goes over the angry mul's head.
You fail to slash the angry mul's arm.

MeTekillot

« Reply #568 on: February 20, 2019, 05:59:44 AM »
One armor message is for when it absorbs all the hp damage but not stun, the other is for it absorbing absolutely all damage.
Also, I like my cootch to have a pert pink color and nice smell. Knowing my luck I would bonk someone with AIDs, get rotten box, and die miserable.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #569 on: February 20, 2019, 08:10:27 AM »
Change 'swiftly dodge' to 'dodge'... problem solved.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

ShaLeah

« Reply #570 on: February 20, 2019, 12:21:40 PM »
I would really like to see the changes as a result of this thread that are in the release notes be shouted out to the person who made the suggestion.

I think it would do WONDERS for community and staff appreciation if when staff adopted an idea they said thank you to the player responsible for the idea. Big ole love fest so that when you are feeling like players aren't taken into consideration you can read that thread and SEE how players have affected the game world.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

KittenLicks

« Reply #571 on: February 20, 2019, 08:23:43 PM »
I'd really love it if your ldesc showed when you are hidden, assuming that hasn't been fixed at some point.

Eg.

Code: [Select]
* A strange shadow is here. *

change ldesc mingles with a dusty group of grebbers.

* A strange shadow mingles with a dusty group of grebbers. *

Currently I believe you have to get around this by semoting when people enter the room and might see you and it's bit clunky. I know it's probably way easier said than done though.
Quote from: Armageddon
You can't wear the spider.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #572 on: February 20, 2019, 10:45:21 PM »
I would really like to see the changes as a result of this thread that are in the release notes be shouted out to the person who made the suggestion.

I think it would do WONDERS for community and staff appreciation if when staff adopted an idea they said thank you to the player responsible for the idea. Big ole love fest so that when you are feeling like players aren't taken into consideration you can read that thread and SEE how players have affected the game world.
Yeah, I'm with that. Me too.

I'd really love it if your ldesc showed when you are hidden, assuming that hasn't been fixed at some point.

Eg.

Code: [Select]
* A strange shadow is here. *

change ldesc mingles with a dusty group of grebbers.

* A strange shadow mingles with a dusty group of grebbers. *

Currently I believe you have to get around this by semoting when people enter the room and might see you and it's bit clunky. I know it's probably way easier said than done though.
I absolutely endorse this. I'd also prefer creatures hidden with regular hide be referred to as someone, while those hidden by magick remain a strange shadow.

Wday

« Reply #573 on: February 23, 2019, 08:02:52 PM »
Poison should go bad like spice! Think that would make rp and the poison itself value in game. Think of it as you coat a knife and in two weeks to three it dries up.
Well that almost worked.

Veselka

« Reply #574 on: February 25, 2019, 02:24:19 PM »
It'd be nice if people riding had the messages of:

"Soandso rides in from the north on <mount>", and forget the speed that they do so. They're either walking or running, and both times they'll be riding a mount who's doing it. It's awkward to see 'walks in from the north, riding <mount>'

On the PC end, it just says you are walking around as well, instead of riding around.

So It currently says 'You follow someone, and walk south' instead of 'You follow someone south, riding <mount>' which I think would make more sense.

--Immanuel Kant