Author Topic: Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game  (Read 35011 times)

sleepyhead

Re: Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2018, 08:36:58 PM »
Not a syntax issue, but being able to junk coins would be great for RPing with VNPCs.

sleepyhead

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2018, 09:03:23 PM »
The workaround you suggested wouldn't have worked in most of the scenarios when I wished I'd had the option to junk coins.

Anyway, I am sure the code could be written up so that it's difficult to accidentally junk your life's savings. And even if they didn't make any special protections against junking coins, you'd probably still be 10x more likely to go into a shop and buy the wrong thing, thus costing you 6000 sid for something you don't want rather than the 50 you meant to spend, than you would be to junk all of your coins with a typo.

In those cases, staff has been pretty good about reimbursing me when I bother to pursue that. I'm sure it'd be no different with coinjunking.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2018, 11:01:37 PM »
junk undo
A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "This ain't no city, grebber!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2018, 11:02:33 PM »
buy undo

sleepyhead

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2018, 11:07:31 PM »
Those would be fantastic.

WithSprinkles

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2018, 11:11:02 PM »
Well.. What if to get rid of coins the command wasn't JUNK? What if it were something like SQUANDER? Or just plain SPEND? I mean, yeah.. it's extra code, but it could get rid of unwanted coins in a snap with no fuss.

>spend 1000 coins
You spend 1000 obsidian coins.

>third person
The tall, muscular man spends a large amount of obsidian coins.

<<with an argument attached>>
The tall muscular man spends a large amount of obsidian coins, giving them to a random passerby.
Smooth Sands,
Maristen Kadius, Solace the Bard, Paxter (Jump), Numii Arabet, and the rest.

nessalin

• Board Administrator
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2018, 01:46:53 PM »
Good thread, thanks for the feedback and ideas.  Some of these have been coded up but I missed the weekend release window.

Please don't stray too far into new feature territory.

Please, also, do not harsh on other people's ideas.  That is largely my job and I do not like the competition.
"I wanna be an architect"

MeTekillot

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2018, 01:53:40 PM »
Be able to change your accent and language with one command...

Make the command for wearing stuff in specific locations a little easier/more forgiving -- is it "wear sash around waist"?  Why can't "wear sash waist" work?  Does "wear sash shoulder" work or do you have to "wear sash on left shoulder" or something?

For shoulders, there's on the shoulder and over the shoulder. Over the shoulder covers anything worn ON the shoulder.
Also, I like my cootch to have a pert pink color and nice smell. Knowing my luck I would bonk someone with AIDs, get rotten box, and die miserable.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2018, 02:02:49 PM »
Fix the weird spacing/formatting/typo stuff that echos when you use oil objects with a strigil.

Also, all perfumes should have at least 3 uses, IMO. No one uses an entire vial/bottle of lotion/perfume.

When you drive a wagon or pilot a skimmer, the echo should be more clear when you fail. Right now it is, "You don't seem to be able to move <the skimmer/wagon>" which could be confusing for newer players. Perhaps something like "You fail to move <skimmer/wagon>", or, when it goes in the wrong direction, "You fail to move <skimmer/wagon> in the right direction."

"Alas, you can't go that direction" - if it hasn't already, remove the 'Alas', we're not an old timey fantasy mud.

Any echo with "That's crazy!" or "That's silly!" - fix those to return error messages as appropriate.

"But it's already locked!" - which door? Which direction?
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

sleepyhead

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2018, 02:20:27 PM »
Whenever I accidentally type 'wo' instead of 'who' I get an echo that is something like 'That action is not supported.' I don't know what it thinks I'm trying to do but it could probably just be turned into the basic 'What?' message.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2018, 02:33:30 PM »
Or '<whatever you typed> is not a recognized command" so that it's a little clearer.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

WithSprinkles

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2018, 02:51:55 PM »
Plantlife

PLEASE don't make us play "Guess the Verb" in the middle of the wilderness anymore. Can we:
1) Standardize all plants so that they PICK the same way
2) Put some documentation up on the website so that we all know how to approach and work the different plant types
3) Put some verbiage on the plants themselves so that when we 'fail' to use them right, they don't just say "There is nothing like that available" or worse "You'll need some lock picks".

Admittedly, the way it works now is FAR better than the way it used to be when we used to outright start picking a non-existent lock. THANK YOU from everyone who no longer awkwardly starts picking locks in the middle of a conversation for no apparent reason.

Also.. Since someone mentioned sitting down and poisoning.. Can we sit down and bandage too? It's a little weird sometimes for both patient and healer to be upright, especially if everyone's roleplaying the injury out.
Smooth Sands,
Maristen Kadius, Solace the Bard, Paxter (Jump), Numii Arabet, and the rest.

ShaLeah

« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2018, 12:50:41 AM »
1)   Ability to set one's ldesc always, wherever, in whatever position you're in.
2)   Ability to search for specific items in a room and all of its containers by target: search silk You begin searching for silk... There is a silk (whatever) in a bahamet carved chest, There is a pair of silk whatevers in a large bag.
3)   This please!
4)   This please two!
5)   This please three!
6)   Don't automatically disconnect me when I'm idle please!
7)   Give GMH sponsored rolls access to all their inventory database.
8)   Clothing that's long sleeved should render arms, shoulders and body covered. Change the 'worn on body' to simply 'worn'.
9)   Similarly pants should be work on hips and cover legs.
10) Similarly to that skirts should be worn on hips and NOT cover legs, freeing you to put things on your legs under that skirt that would be hidden.
11) Hold/wield [item] should auto remove whatever you're holding if you're holding something.
12) Items in room descriptions should be coded into the room.
13) A remove all and wear all command that doesn't spam to the viewer and is just seen as a sdesc gets dressed/undressed.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

JohnMichaelHenry

« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2018, 08:55:07 AM »
Plantlife

PLEASE don't make us play "Guess the Verb" in the middle of the wilderness anymore. Can we:
1) Standardize all plants so that they PICK the same way
2) Put some documentation up on the website so that we all know how to approach and work the different plant types
3) Put some verbiage on the plants themselves so that when we 'fail' to use them right, they don't just say "There is nothing like that available" or worse "You'll need some lock picks".

Admittedly, the way it works now is FAR better than the way it used to be when we used to outright start picking a non-existent lock. THANK YOU from everyone who no longer awkwardly starts picking locks in the middle of a conversation for no apparent reason.

Also.. Since someone mentioned sitting down and poisoning.. Can we sit down and bandage too? It's a little weird sometimes for both patient and healer to be upright, especially if everyone's roleplaying the injury out.

+1 to both of these
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

ShaLeah

« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2018, 10:19:27 AM »
I can craft things while seated, but I can't poison anything. Let me poison things while I'm sitting.

Along these lines:
14) Ability to do things while resting; like pour, watch, open packs.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2018, 02:17:11 PM »
13) A remove all and wear all command that doesn't spam to the viewer and is just seen as a sdesc gets dressed/undressed.

> remove all 1.bag
You undress, stowing everything in a large bag.

> wear all 2.bag
You wear the items in a large bag.

So useful if you want to have more than one outfit (armor vs. street clothes, say--almost everyone should do this!).

Seeker

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2018, 02:48:53 PM »
To utilize a suede pouch of coarse, fragrant salt to clean something, you must type "use soap."  There is a (small) QL opportunity fix.

Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

roughneck

« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2018, 03:25:03 PM »
If there was a better way to coordinate play times OOC in the MUD, it would:
- save player's time waiting to connect with people
- reduce OOC coordination on discord, email, etc, because the player has a legitimate way of doing it
- give visibility to staff on who's coordinating and when

I don't know, message sending, or something.

ShaLeah

« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2018, 04:39:39 PM »

> remove all 1.bag
You undress, stowing everything in a large bag.

> wear all 2.bag
You wear the items in a large bag.

So useful if you want to have more than one outfit (armor vs. street clothes, say--almost everyone should do this!).
Would rem [location+location+location+location] be possible? 10 finger rings,  10 toe rings,  nipples,  eyebrows. Earrings,  lips,  nose alone make remove/wear all psycho spammy.

sleepyhead

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2018, 05:12:43 PM »
10 finger rings,  10 toe rings,  nipples,  eyebrows. Earrings,  lips,  nose alone make remove/wear all psycho spammy.

Wday

« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2018, 07:28:18 PM »
subdue and be able to mount and ride.
Well that almost worked.

« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2018, 12:02:17 AM »
If you give an item to someone who is crafting, and it has one sdesc item the same as the item they're working on, it will disrupt their work by causing them to attempt to use this new item for crafting after the timer fulfills. For instance:

a kalan fruit
craft fruit into sliced
You begin working on some food.
The amos-faced amos gives you a belshun fruit.
(kalan fruit timer later)
You slice your belshun fruit.

This can be confusing, disruptive, and annoying - especially if you're working on an incredibly long or tough craft, or end up wasting the new item. If the new item can't be made into the old item's attempted craft, it will still run THE WHOLE ENTIRE TIMER, and then say the craft error message of "You don't think you could craft that into anything." It's also nonsensical.

My idea to fix this: A change in give messages to reflect no longer being able to give something to someone who is crafting.
a kalan fruit
craft fruit into sliced
You begin working on some food.
The amos-faced amos attempts to give you something, but stops as they see you're working.
(Amos sees: "But that would disrupt their work!")
You slice your kalan fruit.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:04:34 AM by MatisseOrOtherwise »
It's always lizard time.

The Desert Bloom is a Greggs, tbh.

« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2018, 05:06:04 AM »
Allow a "pose" command that works like "change ldesc", so people change their ldescs easier and more often.

POSE is leaning against a wall, here.

POSE Picking at her wrists, @ lingers here.

POSE ambles through the crowds.
It's always lizard time.

The Desert Bloom is a Greggs, tbh.

Harmless

« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2018, 10:36:16 AM »
Allow a "pose" command that works like "change ldesc", so people change their ldescs easier and more often.

POSE is leaning against a wall, here.

POSE Picking at her wrists, @ lingers here.

POSE ambles through the crowds.

I use an alias for that (in game command):

Alias pose change ldesc

I also have seen it discussed earlier, the reason we can't move our sdesc to the middle of the ldesc with a @ symbol is for readability and to avoid confusion with NPCs (or so it was said)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

MeTekillot

« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2018, 11:13:31 AM »
Mercy status in prompt?
Also, I like my cootch to have a pert pink color and nice smell. Knowing my luck I would bonk someone with AIDs, get rotten box, and die miserable.