Author Topic: Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game  (Read 23695 times)

Re: Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2018, 02:32:33 AM »
Stuff you craft should be sizeable to an average of a predefined race, or to someone you can see. This will avoid a LOT of crafter frustration. Like... A /lot/.

Syntax idea:

craft [ingredients] into [item] SIZETO HGIANT

craft [ingredients] into [item] SIZETO HELF

craft [ingredients] into [item] SIZETO amos.dark.man

craft [ingredients] into [item] SIZETO me
It's always lizard time.

The Desert Bloom is a Greggs, tbh.

MarshallDFX

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2018, 03:34:46 AM »
I think I made a thread a decade ago about trying to see who a character was tagetting.  "Look" gives too much spam.

Assess bahamet

A bahamet is in excellent condition
A bahamet does not look tired
A bahamet is fighting the friendly faced, cheerful looking Malik!

Cind

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2018, 04:35:47 AM »
I'm not sure the 'latch' and 'unlatch' commands are linked to in the steal, peek and sleight of hand helpfiles, leading to them not really being known well, from my experience. About four or five days after the latch and unlatch commands were released, I was given no excuse for the fact that someone had opened my pack, stolen a dragon statuette and closed my pack up again.
Playing something new could be just what you need!

Nao

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2018, 06:29:07 AM »
Another thing to make life easier for newbies who don’t know what to expect and don’t type out a new character in an editor beforehand: Increase the timeout during chargen before you get disconnected, to an hour or so.

Having to start over because you went to read some docs to decide on some detail is extremely frustrating, and I am willing to bet that some people just give up when that happens and don’t come back. The current timeout seems like a leftover from the 90s when ginka could only take a small number of connections at the same time. If this is. I longer necessary, increase the timeout.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2018, 06:41:18 AM »
Speaking of timeouts, AN OPTIONAL TIMEOUT FOR INACTIVITY WOULD BE GREAT! I'm somewhat narcoleptic, and I've lost a few characters by unexpected sleep that a 'set timeout 30' / 'set timeout 240' / whatever would have fixed.

Also. Activating "change arena" would be good.
It's always lizard time.

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2018, 09:00:46 AM »
Please, make it so when I use HUNT, it says "You" instead of my current sdesc.

So I stop scaring myself...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has spooked herself lol
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

Scrumpkin

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2018, 10:18:06 AM »
Wow, you fixed that quick Brokkr!
I swear I tried this not to long ago, my bad.

From help pull:

Syntax:
pull <quiver>
pull <quiver> <arrow>
Example(s):
>pull quiver
You reach into your quiver and slide out a glass-headed sheaf arrow.
You brandish the arrow.

>pull quiver stone
You reach into your quiver and slide out a stone-tipped bone arrow.
You brandish the arrow.

WithSprinkles

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2018, 11:03:10 AM »
Stuff you craft should be sizeable to an average of a predefined race, or to someone you can see. This will avoid a LOT of crafter frustration. Like... A /lot/.

Syntax idea:

craft [ingredients] into [item] SIZETO HGIANT

craft [ingredients] into [item] SIZETO HELF

craft [ingredients] into [item] SIZETO amos.dark.man

craft [ingredients] into [item] SIZETO me

I want to second this. I had wanted to add earlier suggestions about it, but was trying to stick to syntax stuff, but.. maybe if we can't get the above suggestion, change the goalposts:

PC Tailoring/fitting from Kadians for clothing.
PC Tailoring/fitting from Salarr and Kurac for Armor.
Also if I'm wishing, can we have a use for crafted BUTTONS and get the ability to add a flaps/latches/buttons to containers, please? Since we're talking about LATCH/UNLATCH? I'd love for some of my favorite containers to be able to be closed.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 11:08:02 AM by WithSprinkles »
Veni, Vidi, Reliqui - When I have the time, I'll be back.

Synthesis

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2018, 11:59:43 AM »
When you use certain skills (hunt, for example), you see yourself executing the action in the third person.

E.g. if your sdesc is "the tall, lanky ranger" and you use hunt, you see:

> hunt
The tall, lanky ranger crouches and whatever the text is looking for tracks.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2018, 01:00:07 PM »
Bow making: it's hard for GMH employees and staff to get these orders right because nobody can quantify bow strength. At best, a customer can tell the merchant "model X works for me". Then the merchant can tell staff, who can (hopefully) go look up the numbers on model X and find a bow in the GMH catalog with the same strength. It's annoying for customer, merchant, and staff.

Give bowyers abilities to measure and adjust bow strength. Accuracy/success on all of these would be mediated by your skill level in bow_making:

(1) Measure the strength of a bow:
> assess bow
It has a pull of about 5 ten-stone.

(2) Adjust an individual bow's pull by a small amount:
> adjust bow stronger
You can't make a bow stronger brah.
> adjust bow weaker
You carefully shave a bit of material from the limbs.
> adjust bow weaker
You can't make a long agafari bow any weaker.

(3) Bonus: add a gauge of a person's strength via assess -v:
> assess -v amos
Blah, blah.
The tall, muscular man is in excellent condition.
He could probably draw a bow with a pull of 4-6 ten-stone.
then the father hen will call his chickens home

WithSprinkles

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2018, 01:26:39 PM »
Bow making: it's hard for GMH employees and staff to get these orders right because nobody can quantify bow strength. At best, a customer can tell the merchant "model X works for me". Then the merchant can tell staff, who can (hopefully) go look up the numbers on model X and find a bow in the GMH catalog with the same strength. It's annoying for customer, merchant, and staff.

Give bowyers abilities to measure and adjust bow strength. Accuracy/success on all of these would be mediated by your skill level in bow_making:

(1) Measure the strength of a bow:
> assess bow
It has a pull of about 5 ten-stone.

(2) Adjust an individual bow's pull by a small amount:
> adjust bow stronger
You can't make a bow stronger brah.
> adjust bow weaker
You carefully shave a bit of material from the limbs.
> adjust bow weaker
You can't make a long agafari bow any weaker.

(3) Bonus: add a gauge of a person's strength via assess -v:
> assess -v amos
Blah, blah.
The tall, muscular man is in excellent condition.
He could probably draw a bow with a pull of 4-6 ten-stone.

I think this is already a thing. Is this what you are looking for? It's a tool that some clans apparent have. I am not finding the exact post on a skim, but I found this explaining it:

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,51454.msg953423.html#msg953423

All that would be needed was a better way to measure strength better for fitting, yeah?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 01:28:31 PM by WithSprinkles »

hyzhenhok

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2018, 01:34:14 PM »
Make prompt keyed to account rather than to character. Or add a "prompt export" command that spits out the string needed to input your current prompt.

Make Change Color settings be keyed to account rather than to character.

Get rid of the"don't bother, they're asleep" message when you >tell to a sleeping or unconscious character. Or have it automatically change to >say (to/at ~sleeping person).

Change the default alias "dis" from disarm to disengage.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 01:42:27 PM by hyzhenhok »

teacup

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2018, 02:17:03 PM »
  • Have things that are 'look on' also be 'look in'. Took me too long to figure out how to look on a bench.
  • Have the tool types be keywords. If you're after a drill, be able to get drill chest and get that auger without having to hunt.
  • Have cloaks and sleeved clothing hide your shoulder scars and tattoos without having to hunt for shoulder wear add-ons.

Nao

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2018, 04:21:35 PM »
Make prompt keyed to account rather than to character. Or add a "prompt export" command that spits out the string needed to input your current prompt.

Try typing 'prompt'!

John

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2018, 05:37:19 PM »
QOL Improvement: Instead of just "You are too tired to sleep!" including how many minutes it will be until you can quit. Something like "You are too tired to sleep! Please try again in [X] minutes." So that I don't have to spam the quit command post-combat when I really have to get offline.
Quit OOC overrides the quit timer for those times you REALLY DO need to log out (obviously don't abuse it).
Quote from: RogueGunslinger
On Zalanthas most sweat would evaporate instantly and cool you easier, because there is no humidity. The extra air-flow of a kilt would also keep things dry.

mansa

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2018, 06:14:30 PM »
a) Brief Novice should be turned on by default for new players.

b) Part of 'brief novice' should be something similar to "tdesc", where it adds a small paragraph after looking at people.  Only visible when brief novice is turned on.   Maybe we could call it 'helpdesc'.

This should include simple syntax help when looking at certain npcs, like merchants, clan cooks, and other 'weird' npcs that have usable scripts to them that I can't recall.

>l smith
(You look at the grizzled, tough-looking weaponsmith.)
   This tall, lean old man is dark-haired and swarthy, his arms and torso
marked with numerous scars of varied length, all of them ancient and
long healed.  His face is clean shaven, and his dark hair is kept tied back
with a small strand of carelessly knotted leather.  His black eyes narrow
in thought as he keeps a watchful eye on his shop.
[Hint - type 'list' to view what this NPC is selling.  See more information in this help files:
help buy, help barter, help list, help offer, help sell]

The grizzled, tough-looking weaponsmith is in excellent condition.

I'm not sold on the 'hint', but it could be 'OOC' or 'Help'
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

teacup

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2018, 06:38:13 PM »
1. Helpfiles on how to use clan NPC cooks for food and refill water barrels/tuns. There wasn't any way for me to know how except to bug other Players with OOC.

CodeMaster

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2018, 10:37:56 PM »
Be able to change your accent and language with one command...

Make the command for wearing stuff in specific locations a little easier/more forgiving -- is it "wear sash around waist"?  Why can't "wear sash waist" work?  Does "wear sash shoulder" work or do you have to "wear sash on left shoulder" or something?  "wear cuff left ankle"?  I know a few of these are sticky, or give unusual messages.

The water merchant syntax is pretty difficult too.  Fill 2.man waterskin water?  A lot of the old merchants were just "fill waterskin", although this limited the number of beverages they could serve.  Other water sellers do something charming like have you lower a bucket and then raise it again, which I find kind of immersive.  Maybe more like these?

The apartment code is great, btw.  I just want to kudos that, because they work seamlessly with the game world.

Should we be holding large bags and filling them with stuff, even if that brings them past the weight at which we're able to use the hold command?  Maybe container items should be able to be held no matter how much junk is in them.

The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2018, 10:53:08 PM »
Ooh. A one-command language command...

SPEAK [ACCENT] [LANGUAGE]

SPEAK TRIBAL SIRIHISH

SPEAK NORTHERN MIRUKKIM

SPEAK SOUTHERN BENDUNE
It's always lizard time.

WithSprinkles

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2018, 11:07:59 PM »
Speaking of heavy stuff.. Coins.
Can we make it so that transactions can be made at a bank with both parties present to consent and confirm between accounts, please? Most especially between nobles, major, and minor houses? The fees could still apply for taking the money out/deposits and all, AND they can throw in a convenience fee for the service. It would be good to have the option.

Also,
The DUMP command. I know its probably really old and reflexive for vets to use, but would anyone else think that a more intuitive word like BOOT be better? In the heat of the moment, my first thought is to use something like 'kick' and that is.. ahem. Not the best first word to have come to mind in a potentially heated moment, but.. I dunno. To me, RECRUIT and BOOT seem to go well together. Or EJECT, maybe?

mansa

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2018, 11:11:08 PM »
Ooh. A one-command language command...

SPEAK [ACCENT] [LANGUAGE]

SPEAK TRIBAL SIRIHISH

SPEAK NORTHERN MIRUKKIM

SPEAK SOUTHERN BENDUNE

I always alias 'speak' to change language  :)
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Nao

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2018, 01:45:02 AM »
I can craft things while seated, but I can't poison anything. Let me poison things while I'm sitting.

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2018, 03:09:47 AM »
Speaking of heavy stuff.. Coins.
Can we make it so that transactions can be made at a bank with both parties present to consent and confirm between accounts, please? Most especially between nobles, major, and minor houses? The fees could still apply for taking the money out/deposits and all, AND they can throw in a convenience fee for the service. It would be good to have the option.

TRANSFER x COINS TEMPLAR

god that'd be so fucking useful god yes please
It's always lizard time.

CodeMaster

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2018, 09:37:19 PM »
People use "server time" to coordinate in-game meetings but you have to go to the website to see server time.  Worth putting in the who list?

Digging up some old ideas, I posted a few ideas along these lines here a long time ago https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,48015.0.html

And I posted an idea for a revised 'score' listing here: https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,47565.0.html
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Rumor

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2018, 02:47:12 PM »
Currently you cannot retrieve a specific amount of coins from a container or object/room. Using something like "get coins backpack" should retrieve all coins, but having the option to "get 100 coins backpack" would be nice for not having to room spam or deal with the time it takes to do so. Also, there are specific instances I can think of that have required IMM interaction in order to split up amounts of coin on an object because they couldn't be retrieved.

Right now, there is a lag for using the "empty" command when transferring items from a container to something else (room/object/container). This same lag could be applied when specifying the amount of coins you retrieve to simulate counting the coins out, since you cannot blindly reach in and retrieve a specific amount with any consistency. Lag could scale on the amount of coins as it seems to scale with the amount of items being transferred using empty.