Author Topic: Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game  (Read 23518 times)

nessalin

• Board Administrator
Open request for quality of life improvements to the game.

Primarily looking for suggestions in the following areas:
1. Syntax improvements.
2. Feedback from success/failure messages on commands that would be more informative or provide more context to the reason for the success/failure.  Such as changing, "You cannot lift that.", to, "You cannot life the dead body of the read-haired plumber."
3. Added arguments to existing commands to better specify player intent on how they are trying to use the command.
4. Reduction in typing, such as how some commands will auto-remove your gear before moving on to the next step, rather than giving an error of, "You must remove that first."

Please keep the thread on top and be civil with one another.
"I wanna be an architect"

Aesuna

Re: Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »
If would be great if typing stop (or halt, or stop fighting) with no queued commands while in combat prompted you to use the disengage command instead.

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 02:17:16 PM »
Display improvement: Have the Arena emote display before the associated shouted message.

Syntax improvement: look [item] on [table/rack] working as well as whatever the order is now that I'm constantly forgetting

QOL Improvement: Instead of just "You are too tired to sleep!" including how many minutes it will be until you can quit. Something like "You are too tired to sleep! Please try again in [X] minutes." So that I don't have to spam the quit command post-combat when I really have to get offline.

QOL: Ability to display hungry, thirsty, and drunk levels in your prompt.

I'm sure I'll have more!
Too gay to function since the early 2000s.
I do writing.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 02:18:18 PM »
I dont know how possible it is but I've always felt like it'd be nice to have something like this..

Code: [Select]
>inv
You are carrying:
a small bag
a worn, carru-hide pack
a greasy lump of mottled soap (held)
a long branch of agafari wood (wielded)

>inv
You are carrying:
a small bag
a worn, carru-hide pack
a bone-handed hide scraper (both hands)

It'd just be so much easier rather then having to skim 27 locdescs
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

deskoft

• Helper
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 03:15:07 PM »
I actually like that only_plays_tribals, I feel it would help me. I also enjoy stop = disengage.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 03:42:49 PM »
"You can't do that here." Do what? What was I trying to do?

I would prefer syntax/typo problems return something along the lines of "I don't recognize that command." So that it's clear it's a code thing.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 03:45:19 PM »
After 25+ years of using "exa corpse", it would be nice if "exa corpse" continued to give output of the objects inside of the corpse object, rather than having to use "look in corpse".

Scrumpkin

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 06:02:35 PM »
Added arguments to existing commands to better specify player intent on how they are trying to use the command of Score or Stat so the player can see in detail the scars and tattoos that they have.

Syntax example:
>stat scars
or
>score scars

Output:
You have the following scars:
<on left wrist> a jagged, red scar

Syntax example:
>stat tattoos
or
>score tattoos

Output:
You have the following tattoos:
<on head> a pink tattoo of a flower

WithSprinkles

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 06:32:13 PM »
Thanks for that suggestion, only_plays_tribals. If nothing else, it gave me the thought to highlight the words '<primary hand>' and <secondary hand>' in my client so that they stand out to me. It helps at a glance so that I can see real fast if I have a forgotten weapon in my hand. Or.. you know, if someone else does. My suggestions:

Item prioritization - I think most of us have done an involuntary striptease when trying to remove an item we were showing off to someone. Perhaps there could be a priority for INVENTORY, HELD, WIELDED, WORN, and finally SHEATHED. Sheathed last because you have to wield and sheathe a weapon to stow it properly again for its next use.

Big weapons- Bows and large weapons are not actually worn ACROSS BACK, but SLUNG ACROSS BACK. It is mentioned in the DRAW help file, but not in the WEAR LOCATIONS file. I had to learn and ask about it IG. Technically BACK has two slots if you are using a weapon in the second slot. You can wear them over a pack. So in THAT, all weapons with that line are misleading. It would be WONDERFUL if a larger weapon, instead of telling you that you have no space on your belt, directed you to your SLUNG ACROSS THE BACK slot. People might think you need to type all that out, but no. Just the word BACK works.

Legacy Verbs - When I type 'smile' or 'chuckle', I do those things. When I FROWN, I get a strange message about something bothering me. Did I frown or not? Just let me plain frown, please. With SHAKE, I would PERSONALLY prefer not to shake people's hands with shake <person>. I always forget and try to shake my head at them. I would emote this action out anyway, but not a head shake usually. Aaaand now I'm awkwardly trying to play that off.

Being able to survey a room to know its capacity! In general, how large a space I am working with and even an approximation of how much crap it has inside of it before one pelt is a pelt too many and now I have to dig myself or others out with a shovel. I think I just TWITCHED with the desire for this one. I'm not trying to enable people to stuff away more, I want to know when it's time to come in and begin chucking stuff OUT!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 06:35:23 PM by WithSprinkles »
Veni, Vidi, Reliqui - When I have the time, I'll be back.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 07:30:28 PM »
put all.worn <container>

Starting from topmost locdesc
- Removes and places ALL worn items into the targeted container, stopping if the container fills.

put all.worn.keyword <container>

Starting from topmost locdesc
- Removes and places any worn items matching KEYWORD into the targeted container, stopping if the container fills.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:32:30 PM by only_plays_tribals »
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

sleepyhead

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 07:46:11 PM »
Not exactly the kind of change you specifically mentioned, but I'd like to see "Choose thy fate" from the opening screen changed to "Choose your fate" or something else entirely. We don't want to give new players the impression that this game has a high fantasy King James English sort of feel.

We could also remove the 'documentation menu' option, which seems superfluous since all it does is direct you to the website. Something like that could just be a note when you log in rather than a misleading menu option.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 08:10:14 PM »
Dealing with large inventories and limited space has got to be a big hassle for crafters. My most recent run-in with one facet of it:

Overstuffed rooms behave weirdly. I picked up a cistern from a room, left the room, filled it, returned, and couldn't set it back down.

I'd like for chests, footlockers, cisterns, etc. to occupy the same amount of room space (to wit, their max capacity) whether empty or full. The most general solution really needs to distinguish between rigid containers (chests, kegs) and flexible containers (bags, waterskins)...we're trying to turn weight into volume here and it's obnoxious.

On the more general issue (dealing with lots of stuff in rooms), we've called out hoarding in the past as the root of the problem. But I think it's a more systemic issue than that and I have no clue what would make things really pleasing for users.
then the father hen will call his chickens home

Nao

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 02:25:14 AM »
Dealing with large inventories and limited space has got to be a big hassle for crafters. My most recent run-in with one facet of it:

Overstuffed rooms behave weirdly. I picked up a cistern from a room, left the room, filled it, returned, and couldn't set it back down.

I'd like for chests, footlockers, cisterns, etc. to occupy the same amount of room space (to wit, their max capacity) whether empty or full. The most general solution really needs to distinguish between rigid containers (chests, kegs) and flexible containers (bags, waterskins)...we're trying to turn weight into volume here and it's obnoxious.

On the more general issue (dealing with lots of stuff in rooms), we've called out hoarding in the past as the root of the problem. But I think it's a more systemic issue than that and I have no clue what would make things really pleasing for users.

There is more oddness to room limits than that. A number of times, I have picked up a bag, then could not put it back into the room. The contents of those bags had not changed. This is especially fun on burglars.  ::)

I'm not sure what is causing this behavior, so I'm not sure how to fix it, either.   
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Rumor

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 09:48:48 AM »
I would like to see a self echo (not an echo sent to the room) for when you perform an action that removes you from hiding. I'm not referring to when you fail and are visible to players, but believe you are hidden. I mean performing an action that removes you from hiding such as what is listed in the helpfile and the others that are present in the game. Over the years of playing and experimenting with characters with these capabilities, I'm pretty confident about the list, but someone new shouldn't need to experiment with this. One would know if they're trying to hide or not trying to hide by doing something and it could be presented to the player that they've opted into changing this state.

Something along the lines of, "You step out of hiding..." or "You stop trying to conceal yourself." Those messages would be very clear about whether or not you performed something that requires you to attempt to hide again or if you can continue attempting to be stealthy.

WithSprinkles

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 02:02:23 PM »
Can the 'Sheathe it where??' message also be changed to be more informative to include which container failed to be used as a sheath, please?

Aside, some scabbards and other items of the sort in game should BE sheaths, but appear to not be? This may be more of a thing to bug, but there may be many and I think mentioning it here can get a general note in about it?

mansa

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 05:06:34 PM »
* merge assess and assess -v commands
* make assess an 'hemote' echo, similar to the change to look.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 05:36:33 PM »
* make assess an 'hemote' echo, similar to the change to look.

It already is!
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

WithSprinkles

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 06:07:52 PM »
BUG/TYPO/IDEA

It may just be me, but I'd appreciate a confirmation message when submitting these. As in, you THOUGHT that you were submitting a bug about one item, but joke's on you! -- there was another item with its keyword lurking in the room. Now you have to sheepishly redo the bug report.

I also don't see a <room> option on any of these. I don't know if where we are standing is noted when we put these in, but sometimes I'm referring to something in a room I can't target and I need to call attention to my location. An indication that this is noted or an option would be nice, please.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 07:29:58 PM »
I've always wanted like an expanded prompt command.  Same user-defined format as prompt, but you actually have to type a command for it to appear, like "info" or ">" or maybe even just ENTER by itself.

This way you can quickly access all sorts of neat info that could potentially be in your prompt, but without it clogging up your screen every time you receive a line.

Scrumpkin

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 09:23:38 PM »
How many times ave you accidentally grabbed that last Gith shit tainted arrow from your quiver?  Not anymore! 

On the 'pull quiver' command make it so you can target the arrow in your quiver if desired. 

>look in quiver
In your quiver:
a white arrow
a black arrow
a barbed, razor-sharp arrow

>pull quiver
You reach into your quiver and pull out a white arrow readying it.

>pull quiver barbed
You reach into your quiver and pull out a barbed, razor-sharp arrow and ready it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:33:18 PM by Scrumpkin »

sleepyhead

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 09:39:05 PM »
How many times ave you accidentally grabbed that last Gith shit tainted arrow from your quiver?  Not anymore! 

On the 'pull quiver' command make it so you can target the arrow in your quiver if desired. 

>look in quiver
In your quiver:
a white arrow
a black arrow
a barbed, razor-sharp arrow

>pull quiver
You reach into your quiver and pull out a white arrow readying it.

>pull quiver barbed
You reach into your quiver and pull out a barbed, razor-sharp arrow and ready it.

I thought that worked already!

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 10:01:24 PM »
From help pull:

Syntax:
pull <quiver>
pull <quiver> <arrow>
Example(s):
>pull quiver
You reach into your quiver and slide out a glass-headed sheaf arrow.
You brandish the arrow.

>pull quiver stone
You reach into your quiver and slide out a stone-tipped bone arrow.
You brandish the arrow.

Tekky

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 10:16:39 PM »
sheath greatsword
you can't sheath this on your belt!

Just make stuff big stuff auto-sheath at your back.

Vex

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 11:45:46 PM »
Please, make it so when I use HUNT, it says "You" instead of my current sdesc.

So I stop scaring myself...
"Mortals do drown so."

Nao

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2018, 02:01:34 AM »
More of a quality of life thing for newbies, since I've seen two players who posted videos of playing their first character on youtube struggle with this:

>wake up
You can't wake people up if you are asleep yourself!

>wake me
You can't wake people up if you are asleep yourself!
Either make these wake you if you're asleep, or add a bit to the error message saying "If you want to wake up, just type 'wake' by itself."
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"