Can I just shut my eyes?

Started by JohnMichaelHenry, July 25, 2018, 10:11:42 AM

Is there a way for a person to just close their eyes? I mean, still be awake and able to listen and stuff, but just intentionally not see anything? If there isn't, I'd like to see this in game.  I've had several situations when this would have been useful.

Didn't occur to me until just now, this could also be a way to skill up 'blind fighting'. Too twinky?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

Love the idea.  Proposed solution to prevent twinking:

> close eyes
You can't do that while fighting!

(Or, if you have eyes shut prior to being attacked:)

Your eyes snap open as $opponent attacks you!

There are some observation skills:
Watch
Scan

There are some 'sneak' skills:
Steal
Sleight of Hand
Sneak
Hide

Using the Sleight_Of_Hand skill, there's a bunch of actions you can perform "sneakily":
unlatch command:
open doors
open backpacks

latch command:
close doors
close backpacks

palm command:
take items from containers

slip command:
put items into containers

ready command:
draw weapons

stow command:
sheath weapons

There are some emote commands that can be performed 'sneakily'
hemote - http://armageddon.org/help/view/Hemote
You can emote something, and only observant people can 'see' it.   The look command echos as an hemote command.

semote - http://armageddon.org/help/view/Semote
You can emote something SILENTLY, and if your target can't see it (like they are blind or sleeping, or you are invisible or hidden) it will not echo to them.

Could you give examples of when you want to be "blind", that can't be already solved with the code today?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I used to try to walk with my eyes closed to try and practice walking blind, in case I went blind someday (in real life.) It is funny, as soon as the light changed over my eyelids, I would invariably flinch and open my eyes just a little, and I would stop walking. My brain just did not want to let me walk accidentally into a light pole or something. I could get as far as seven steps before I would either slow to a halt due to this or my eyes would open.

If seated, I think it is possible, but as soon as someone walks up to my face and I feel their presence, if I am awake, my eyes will also just tend to open and I will see what happened.

Therefore, I kind of disagree with the idea if just being able to keep your eyes closed with a command, because Zalanthans are so evolved to survive, even more than us weak, soft Earthlings are. Instead, I just wish it were easier to blindfold yourself in game.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

July 25, 2018, 11:22:05 AM #4 Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 11:25:01 AM by JohnMichaelHenry
I meant this to be a roleplaying option.

the curvacious blonde woman says, "Close your eyes! I'm changing"

close eyes (just to be nice)

the stern, moustached templar says, "Shut your eyes, fool! I don't want you to see this."

close eyes (cuz I'm scared)

The ugly, cockeyed rinthi removes his clothing and dances naked around the room.

close eyes! close eyes!

I don't want to go to sleep, but I've had too much spice and booze. Just wanna relax a little...
close eyes
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."

If you <close eyes> while resting, your ldesc should change to "%sdesc is sleeping here."
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

I've tried to log out while 'asleep' and if I'm not mistaken, you can't due to code. So the option to be able to at least close your eyes would be interesting, I guess. Not necessary as some have said, but giving one other example of a why some might like it.
Smooth Sands,
Maristen Kadius, Solace the Bard, Paxter (Jump), Numii Arabet, and the rest.

I like the idea. It's a small thing, yes, but it's that attention to detail that make Arm's code so charming, so I approve. Blindfolds are more important, though.

emote closes his eyes. 
sleep

Quote from: Scrumpkin on July 25, 2018, 01:16:14 PM
emote closes his eyes. 
sleep

methinks the point has been missed.

There is a difference in RL between closing your eyes and sleeping, as there should be in Arm.

Quote from: JohnMichaelHenry on July 25, 2018, 11:22:05 AM

the stern, moustached templar says, "Shut your eyes, fool! I don't want you to see this."

The ugly, cockeyed rinthi removes his clothing and dances naked around the room.

close eyes! close eyes!

I don't want to go to sleep, but I've had too much spice and booze. Just wanna relax a little...
close eyes

I haven't been convinced of the benefit of the code yet.  Is there more examples that you could give?  I still am open to the idea, but what difference does this give besides ignoring things echoing to the screen, or using other coded sneak abilities?

What you echo to the room isn't 100% the actions you mean to use. You can be super creative. What difference do you want to enact that also cannot be created simply by emoting ": closes their eyes."
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

It would only be that you intentionally blind yourself. I agree that blindfold would be more important, but in effect, both close eyes and blindfold would be exactly the same. I'm not sure I understand what sneak abilities have to do with this, except if my eyes were closed I would lose the ability to notice other people doing them. You are right that I could just emote closing my eyes, but if I did that, I would still codedly be able to see, and even be able to notice furtive actions, which I shouldn't be able to do if my eyes are closed. I don't know how to describe any actual benefit, outside of it being a cool roleplaying tool, and that closing my eyes voluntarily is something I feel you should be able to do, along with being able to blindfold someone, as was suggested earlier.

What about the power move of closing your eyes and whooping someone's ass?

July 27, 2018, 06:42:19 PM #13 Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 06:49:42 PM by Scrumpkin
>em closes his eyes.
>rest
>think I bet they think I'm sleeping.
>change ldesc is here with his eyes closed.

Would be funny to see the insane things people would do trying to skillup using this.  Ye Olde Darke Gortok Den would probably be jealous.

Quote from: seidhr on July 27, 2018, 07:22:27 PM
Would be funny to see the insane things people would do trying to skillup using this.  Ye Olde Darke Gortok Den would probably be jealous.

Well, I mean...the primary reason people resort to insane things to skillup is because reasonable things appear not be working.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Sand storms injure you unless you close your eyes or wear sunslits.

You can close your eyes to play blind PCs.

You can make your character near sighted by aliasing l n l s le l w to "think Drov, these eyes."
-Stoa

Quote from: stoicreader on July 29, 2018, 03:56:59 PM
Sand storms injure you unless you close your eyes or wear sunslits.

You can close your eyes to play blind PCs.

You can make your character near sighted by aliasing l n l s le l w to "think Drov, these eyes."

No please on the bolded one, while realistic its not practical from a gameplay perspective.

Diffuculty is important, but not to the point where it makes things annoying or unfun.

This would be an annoying or unfun thing to me.

Quote from: mansa on July 25, 2018, 07:44:13 PM
Quote from: JohnMichaelHenry on July 25, 2018, 11:22:05 AM

close eyes! close eyes!

close eyes

I haven't been convinced of the benefit of the code yet.  Is there more examples that you could give?  I still am open to the idea, but what difference does this give besides ignoring things echoing to the screen, or using other coded sneak abilities?

What you echo to the room isn't 100% the actions you mean to use. You can be super creative. What difference do you want to enact that also cannot be created simply by emoting ": closes their eyes."

Have had a moment in game where a gemmed was about to redacted the whole redacted. My rinthi guy was being paid to be there. He turned his back to the gemmed, so he could rationalize to himself that no "Witch-shit" was going on, no sir!
But I suppose this also works without a seperate command. It would be neat to have, though.
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Hmm. Would be kinda neat if OPEN/CLOSE EYES was a hemote that disabled SCAN and the LOOK hemote maybe?

>The big, buff raider says threateningly to you, in sirihish:
     "You wanna keep your eyes in your head, you'd better keep 'em shut!"

Maybe this gives raiders/muggers an extra tool to hide their identities IF they can get the drop on folks and be convincing in getting them to use it? Keeps people honest because they really CAN'T see what's happening AND the bad guys have an honest shot to see if their prey is looking.

With an OPEN/CLOSE EYES command, I don't think you should be able to know which way you are going unless you have direction sense, either. Which would be AWESOME if you had a blindfold prop and someone was leading you around to someplace secret. They might not know that could reasonably find your way out! But someone who DIDN'T have it would be screwed. Plots of that nature could ACTUALLY become a thing.

This would be a pretty neat addition.
Smooth Sands,
Maristen Kadius, Solace the Bard, Paxter (Jump), Numii Arabet, and the rest.

I love it as long as you can assess someone to see if they have their eyes closed or not. Because I wouldn't want it to be so that if you miss their eye-opening hemote they can just keep their eyes open from then onand you wouldn't have any way of knowing.

But yeah, would be great. Blindfolds especially. I do wish there was a way to differentiate between people's voices besides male and female, but I can't see how that would work.