Thinking of returning to the game after a long hiatus

Started by Heade, July 21, 2018, 04:49:42 PM

Just wondering if anyone can indicate what areas are well-populated for RP at the moment?
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Tuluk is closed.  Play in Allanak.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Thanks! Closed for IC reasons, or...?
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

http://www.armageddon.org/world/chronology.php

Quote1634 (Year 17 Age 22)
In an unprecedented utilization of shadow artistry, Houses Winrothol and Tenneshi band together to outfit a heavily armed contingent to assault House Uaptal's Estate, slaying most that reside within. Shortly thereafter, the Templarate and Legion both secure the former library assets of House Negean and establish heavy patrols of the Noble's Quarter. After a brief lull, the Triumvirate meets, abolishing the previous edicts to allow the nobility to govern vast swaths of the city-state directly. House Tenneshi is granted the assets of Uaptal having to do with natural resources, and House Winrothol is granted the assets of House Uaptal having to do with the breeding and sale of beasts of burden. House Kassigarh is granted writs to liquidate and secure loaned property to the former House Uaptal, and the financier House emerges as the new premier House in Tuluk.

In Allanak, decades after the Borsail Estate was destroyed by lava, reconstruction of the Allanak Nobles' Quarter begins.

1641 (Year 24 Age 22)
Unaffiliated southern refugees are rounded up from various slums in Tuluk by the Legions. Several weeks after the first disappearances, a force led by High Templar Jurinia Winrothol takes a force of listless figures masked by burlap sacks to the northern gates of Ten'Sarak, along with regular soldiers of His Legions, including the Sun's Furies, and various Faithful. After a short siege, the Tuluki forces break through the northern gate and systematically slaughter the remaining southern troops in the encampment before setting it ablaze. Tuluk abandons the razed camp and claims victory over Allanak.

High Templar Jurinia's shambling force grows as citizens and non-citizens alike begin to disappear from the streets of Tuluk. Riots begin to take place, and templars for and against High Templar Jurinia square off in the Red Sun Commons. The encounter ends with High Templar Poma Uaptal knocking High Templar Jurinia unconscious and calling for the gates of Tuluk to be closed. Denizens of Tuluk flee as fighting emerges between the two factions within the Unified Order.

There was people in Tuluk when it got closed.

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,49199.msg881450.html#msg881450

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,49200.0.html - discussion thread

also, player clans got revised - https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,51316.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Heade on July 21, 2018, 04:49:42 PM
Thinking of returning to the game after a long hiatus

For those about to rock, we salute you!

You're going to love it.  I returned after a 4 year absence about a month ago (wow, has it already been that long?) and am blown away by all the great changes.  It takes a bit of effort to get adjusted but it's well worth it. I found the helpers were a real help just like their name says and, of course, some responses on the GDB.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

There's also a discord server:
https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,52418.0.html

It has a lot of idle players and idle staff.

The last three player/staff meetings happened there.

Quote from: Heade on July 21, 2018, 05:02:13 PM
Thanks! Closed for IC reasons, or...?
The IC reasons are confused, convoluted and not well documented or understood (initially it looked like it was getting closed for IC reasons, but since then it appears to be open on a virtual level with staff sending mixed signals as to what Tuluk's status is). Just don't play in Tuluk or ask about it being closed in game at this point ;)

We've lost the old guilds (now called classes) and got a whole bunch of new ones. A run down of them is this:
* Fighter (old Warrior. Lost the advanced weapon skils but got some new skills to replace them.
* Infiltrator (old Assassin. Sneak and hide has been bumped down to advanced. Lost brew and knife making. Got chopping weapons, slashing weapons, shield use and peek to advance. Dual wield and two-handed are at master).
* Enforcer (alternative old Assassin. Sneak and hide has been bumped down to advanced. Lost brew, poisoning, pick, pick making. Cooking bumped down to journeyman. Got all weapon skills, shield use, parry, guarding, kick, fighting styles, parry, shield use, bash, disarm and rescue to master).
* Miscreant (combined pickpocket and burglar. Poisoning has been bumped up to master. Hunt has been added to master. Piercing weapons, slashing weapons, shield use, parry, fighting styles, backstab and brew have been bumped up to advance. Cooking has been bumped down to advanced).
* Stalker (old Ranger. Lost a couple of skills but is otherwise the same).
* Craftsperson/Artisan (old Merchant. Also lost some skills, but now have some weapon skills to journeyman).

Lots more classes as well.

Don't come back. No one gets Karma. The new classes haven't launched and what's released is all buggy. And the community is super mean. Ohh watch out for griefers made out if dwarves. Ohh drovians... Are gone. And so are half giants. And spice is now legal in Nak.

I'm probably wrong about most of that... So FOIC, and welcome back, newb.
-Stoa

July 22, 2018, 07:52:40 AM #8 Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:08:37 AM by Scrumpkin
It's a sad day in the Rinth, but in game use of the word 'Necker' is not acceptable anymore. 

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,52685.0.html

Welcome back! :)

I'd say Allanak is definitely your best bet as a well-populated location most hours of the day. Luir's Outpost is another viable option since the addition of rentable apartments last year. I can't speak much for Red Storm and the tribes that are currently open for play.

Quote from: stoicreader on July 21, 2018, 10:36:57 PM
Don't come back. No one gets Karma. The new classes haven't launched and what's released is all buggy. And the community is super mean. Ohh watch out for griefers made out if dwarves. Ohh drovians... Are gone. And so are half giants. And spice is now legal in Nak.

I'm probably wrong about most of that... So FOIC, and welcome back, newb.
Please don't post factually incorrect information. Karma reviews just reopened and many people are already receiving their karma, yourself included. The new classes have launched, they launched about a whole month ago. Half giants are not gone, they haven't change at all. Spice is not legal in Allanak, which you could have found out by reading HELP SPICE.

Conjecture on the community or on how mean they are will be considered flaming/flame baiting in the future for the purposes of moderation. Stop that.

I read most of that as leading up to the last line saying to get back in the game.

Maybe I was just giving benefit of the doubt more than we're comfortable doing.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Armageddon Fake News is what it was!  Funny, but fake!  *shakes a fist at the media*

Um.  Anyway.  I'm back after a long hiatus and really enjoying the game.  Would highly recommend to jump back in.

July 23, 2018, 12:53:41 AM #16 Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:56:22 AM by Harmless
Here is what I would do:

1.)Make a character to play in Allanak to start. I recommend a character that isn't too invested in any specific goal, just to kind of look around. Either roll up a low-karma throwaway role or make a role that could potentially fill a lot of different niches...i.e., a mundane human with some combative and maybe even crafting ability.

2.) Check out all the new class helpfiles. They are really good, all of them literally start with higher levels of skill, and many are hybrids. Add to that, you can pick a subguild, and what we have is better customization. Roles that were totally weakened before, such as pickpockets, now have more appropriate skill sets. The skills they branch off into are all listed, explicitly. It was a pretty huge project, and is a pretty broad change to the game. Definitely a good time to be coming back.

3.) Use the above role to sess out how different subcultures are doing. I can't tell you how they are doing here because it's part of the fun to try to find out IC how busy the rinth is, the Byn is, the noble and merchant house scene, the red storm scene, Luir's and the north, and tribals. They aren't all very active right now, but some certainly are. In 3-6 months, they'll all flip, again. But, I don't recommend picking a niche role that will depend on one of the above listed things being active to have fun...instead try to pick a role that can interact with multiple of the above so you can test the sands.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

July 23, 2018, 01:48:56 AM #17 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:22:26 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Not sure if Ret was kidding or not but removed? Apologies if that was against policy
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: Krath on July 23, 2018, 03:49:37 AM
Here is your cheat sheet as of today.

6am-3pm PST: Luirs is the most populated
3pm-12am PST: Allanak is the most populated

12am -6am PST: No idea

Is that playtime, or are you hinting on a possibility of everyone DYING by the end of today? Huh? Huh? Huh?

Quote from: Dar on July 23, 2018, 11:00:32 AM

Is that playtime, or are you hinting on a possibility of everyone DYING by the end of today? Huh? Huh? Huh?

Way to ruin the surprise. This is why we can't have nice things.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

Quote from: Renenutet on July 23, 2018, 11:12:34 AM

There goes another sekrit staff plot  :(

Quote from: Renenutet on July 23, 2018, 11:12:34 AM

Quote from: Akariel on July 22, 2018, 04:32:21 PM

Please don't post factually incorrect information.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Trying to come back myself and like what I am seeing with some changes so far.
craft pain pills  Dr pepper
You make a idled character

My advice:  come on in!  From a playability aspect, the game has improved over the past several years. 
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.