a fresh start

Started by John, July 04, 2018, 11:19:04 PM

Some of us are pretty crusty and cranky. Whether it's frustration at staff policies. Unable to get out of a rut. Or just plain old feeling of general stagnation and lack of motivation. Let's try to look at these new classes as a fresh start. A lot of "issues" we might have aren't going to be magically addressed with a class change. But we might find new opportunities to experience Armageddon from a new perspective with the new classes. And with that we might get fresh perspectives and renewed interest in giving Armageddon "one more try".

So roll up a new character if you're like me and cranky/disenfranchised. Avoid whatever areas have stuck in your craw in the past and try to explore something new. Worst case scenario is you play for a week and then go back to lurking. Best case scenario is you find your passion reignited for a game we all love (or loved).

I hope more people go back to the game and try it with a tabula rasa in mind! It is a really incredible game and staff has been doing a really good job at updating this community to new standards (as proved by the Discord, this new classes systems, the drawing system, and many other systems they are adding to make Armageddon great).

Quote from: deskoft on July 04, 2018, 11:33:32 PM
I hope more people go back to the game and try it with a tabula rasa in mind! It is a really incredible game and staff has been doing a really good job at updating this community to new standards (as proved by the Discord, this new classes systems, the drawing system, and many other systems they are adding to make Armageddon great).

What standards would those be, by chance?
Yes, there are a lot of changes going in.
Yes, I am often frightened by change.
No, not all change is going to be good.

But saying "all these changes are going to make Armageddon great" is either you (collectively, not just you Deskoft) brown-nosing for Karma, or trying to convince yourself and everyone else because you're not so sure.

I spent an entire PC focused on the drawing skill, and there were still tens and twenties of PCs who didn't know it was possible and really didn't give a flying fluff about the update at all. Is it great? Yeah that character liked it. Did it make Arm "the best"?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

July 07, 2018, 07:02:52 AM #3 Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 07:07:55 AM by azuriolinist
+1, John. I agree. When I'm feeling discouraged, it's often that exploring an entirely different concept and/or area is enough to get me clamoring in excitement, again. It's sort of like playing the game as a newbie again, when I play something entirely new and outside of my comfort zone. Sure, there's a lot of fumbling and stumbling. But along with that is a chance to learn and discover new things about the game.

Granted, I've yet to explore a lot of roles. Heh!

Riev: Where does deskoft say the changes make Arm 'the best'? Sure, I agree, there's always room for improvement. But I'd argue that a ton of the changes have been positive, improvement-wise. There's no need of accusing people of brown-nosing because they think the changes add to the game, which I'm fairly sure was deskoft's point.

Quote from: Riev on July 05, 2018, 10:07:59 AM
Quote from: deskoft on July 04, 2018, 11:33:32 PM

What standards would those be, by chance?
Yes, there are a lot of changes going in.
Yes, I am often frightened by change.
No, not all change is going to be good.

But saying "all these changes are going to make Armageddon great" is either you (collectively, not just you Deskoft) brown-nosing for Karma, or trying to convince yourself and everyone else because you're not so sure.

I spent an entire PC focused on the drawing skill, and there were still tens and twenties of PCs who didn't know it was possible and really didn't give a flying fluff about the update at all. Is it great? Yeah that character liked it. Did it make Arm "the best"?

I have all the karma I need. :) I'm stating my thoughts. Just because they don't fit your expectations, it doesn't mean I have some vile, evil, despicable plan in motion to better my virtual status on a niche text game of the web.

This was meant to be a positive thread. Yes. Some of us are grumpier than others. Yes. I've been almost as grumpy as Riev (when that happens, I take a break). I figure if you're unhappy with staff direction: play a character that requires little to no involvement with staff. Avoid the GDB so you don't get ticked off every time Nessalin wades in to post something. The game can be enjoyable. You can either bitch and moan and focus on all the stupid things staff have done in the past or you can move on and try to look at the game with fresh eyes.

I do have the benefit of coming back from a break and coming back with the start of the new guilds. I'm avoiding the usual things that are likely to frustrate me and just focusing on what makes the game enjoyable. I encourage others to do the same.

Staff have followed through on a lot of their promises to give back things they had said they would. For example, karma reviews are now back, and that is good.

From the lens of someone who has been around the block a few times, there is still potential for interesting stories to happen here.

I came back after a yearish break kinda recently and though some things are still tough about this game, such as lining up playtimes and finding active roles to enjoy, I am cautiously optimistic that like many things before, those lingering issues will eventually get staff attention as well. I hope that the method this is done by doesn't involve removing more roles I might enjoy but luckily that hasn't been the pattern lately (except for removal of all the original mundane main guilds, though the new classes seem pretty well designed as replacements).
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I have been liking the new classes, playing one and looking through the others. I gave no input into the planning process of these at all but several turned out to match my playstyle pretty well ... decent combat, mobility, and enough crafting to keep you interested in your downtime.

As to the "clean slate" aspect, I'll point out that staff is not this homogenous thing. There's staff I like and staff who I think need to go live in a cave with no internet. And there's certainly staff who probably feel the same way about me. So a clean slate goes both ways. Some people are just grumpy, and some are grumpy with valid reasons. That should be respected.

I'm pleased, in general, with the info in the helpfiles on the new classes as well, breaking the game's tradition of black boxing everything behind secretive walls. I wish there was more transparency on other avenues of the game as well.