Mundane Subclass Feedback

Started by Brokkr, July 03, 2018, 01:44:44 PM

Quote from: seidhr on November 15, 2018, 07:15:21 PM
The random items in a shop thing is a neat idea, but in practice a lot harder to implement because there's all kinds of items in the database that have no business being in the game (or readily available) and some of them are supposed to be unique, some of them are old and poorly written, some of them are exceptionally rare for some reason, some of them are magick, some of them are retconned, some are metal, and so on.

Dude, give new staff some simple guidelines and make 'em pore through the object database as a hazing ritual learning exercise.

Add a tag showing it was reviewed in 2018 and by who. [reviewed-2018] [reviewer-{{storyteller}}]
If it's obviously fine for general use, add a tag showing that. [reviewed-okay]
If it clearly shouldn't be in game at all, add: [reviewed-delete]
Don't even worry about the 45% of stuff that's in a gray area.

Stuff tagged [reviewed-okay], eventually maybe 40% of the object database, can be added to the Pawn Shop or whatever.

Eventually someone will jump on this obsessively and review 900 items over a weekend. And every [craftable] item we recover into circulation is a chunk of past staff and player effort that we've recouped at relatively low cost.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: only_plays_tribals on November 16, 2018, 01:23:11 PM
I swear I will volunteer to mindlessly sit and excel sheet the item database if we can somehow implement this pawn shop idea. I think many players would. Recruit us, split the work. It's such a great solution.

It wouldn't even necessarily take that much work.

If the pawn shop were to generate say 20 items every week, you'd just need someone to review the 20 it randomly selected and flag them "appropriate, not appropriate."

Once it got the "not appropriate" flag it wouldn't show up again and you'd gradually develop a list of items you could cycle through without oversight.

November 16, 2018, 03:08:06 PM #327 Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 03:21:34 PM by Nao
I'm not sure how large that portion of inappropriate items in the database is. But you could probably do some automated pre-selection. Drop items that have the wrong flags (metal, maybe those that need certain magickal crafting skills) or by only looking at those that were created after a certain date, if that data is available.

Edit: Or... start with a small, manually maintained list and add to that whenever someone has some free time. Even just 20 items to begin with would add content and give crafters something new to chase after.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: Narf on November 16, 2018, 01:34:36 PM
Quote from: only_plays_tribals on November 16, 2018, 01:23:11 PM
I swear I will volunteer to mindlessly sit and excel sheet the item database if we can somehow implement this pawn shop idea. I think many players would. Recruit us, split the work. It's such a great solution.

It wouldn't even necessarily take that much work.

If the pawn shop were to generate say 20 items every week, you'd just need someone to review the 20 it randomly selected and flag them "appropriate, not appropriate."

Once it got the "not appropriate" flag it wouldn't show up again and you'd gradually develop a list of items you could cycle through without oversight.

The extra magickal/metal items popping into the game for the brief period of time before items are reviewed is probably a big part of the reason they wouldn't do it in this way. Reboots aren't always at the same time/day either, and sometimes occur at random due to a crash. So, this would cause items to be introduced to the game that staff really, really doesn't want floating around the game.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Quote from: Nao on November 15, 2018, 05:15:27 PM
I would still like to see a (pawn?) shop in game that sells only random, craftable items in some limited fashion. Crafters could buy the items and analyze them. This would

• re-introduce forgotten items into the game
  • give crafters an IC way to discover recipes
  • assuming there is a huge number of items in the database, preserve some of the secrecy of recipes. Only the PC who buys the item gets to know the recipe and they decide if they want to pass it on to anyone else.
  • come at a cost. The crafter needs to spend money on the item, and risk that it's a waste of money since it's made out of items he can't obtain, or aren't worth the effort.

Brilliant idea.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

I really want to see this realized, I can't imagine how many brilliant things people have written up over the years. It'd be like slowly picking through a time capsule or a long lost tomb filled with treasure. I truly hope it's considered and a sensible way to execute it is determined. Fingers crossed
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

Quote from: only_plays_tribals on November 16, 2018, 04:15:20 PM
I really want to see this realized, I can't imagine how many brilliant things people have written up over the years. It'd be like slowly picking through a time capsule or a long lost tomb filled with treasure. I truly hope it's considered and a sensible way to execute it is determined. Fingers crossed

An alternative would be to add some of these long-lost items to the "forage artifact" command, in locations where such artifacts may be foraged. Maybe with a very low chance of discovery, depending on the item type. Perhaps resulting in a damaged/tattered version of the item in the case of clothing/armor. I think I'd rather see this than a store that just magically stocked them, because it would give more utility to foraging artifacts than just....what artifacts are normally foraged for. And it would require PCs to actively work to discover some of these long-lost items. It'd encourage more sorts of archeological/exploring expeditions as well, to find good places to find certain things.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

There are places a person can get to where you could reasonably forage artifact for some long-lost sword or neckband, that doesn't actually happen because it hasn't been coded in yet. I was a bit surprised to find that the area I have in mind, you can't actually find stuff like this yet.

To prevent the market and peoples' hands being flooded with them, you'd have to make these things pretty darn hard to find, even at high forage. It would make outdoor foragers more valuable, as they seem to have boosts for outdoor foraging compared to their partner city guilds at the same level.

If you okayed a couple hundred artifacts over the course of two or three months this way, or even one month, that would be an endless source of fascination and discovery for me, personally, even after I've learned all the artifacts you can dig up.

Midden heaps in cities too; for the city guilds who have forage. But these would have even rougher forage requirements to find random treasures, as you're searching in a much safer place in a spot more people (vnpcs) have already looked. I wouldn't mind if it were impossible for novice or apprentice city guilders to find a sword in a midden heap. But an advanced/master forager who is a fence or miscreant or something could search for a RL day and find two or three items on average, taking breaks at night. Most of these wouldn't be a valuable-looking sword, obviously; maybe an agate-studded wristband and an amber-pommeled dagger and the good one was a chitin jerkin. It seems a little unfair but you have to think long-term, like what if someone did this for a living? Shouldn't get rich off midden heaps. and the reason why that jewel cave inside the witch's quarter was sealed off, as its presence was too gamey, a place for looking for gems that was too safe to stay open.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I don't think we need another way to make money in the game economy, we need more things to spend money on.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: Nao on November 17, 2018, 09:21:07 AM
Quote from: Heade on November 16, 2018, 06:03:13 PM
An alternative would be to add some of these long-lost items to the "forage artifact" command, in locations where such artifacts may be foraged. Maybe with a very low chance of discovery, depending on the item type. Perhaps resulting in a damaged/tattered version of the item in the case of clothing/armor. I think I'd rather see this than a store that just magically stocked them, because it would give more utility to foraging artifacts than just....what artifacts are normally foraged for. And it would require PCs to actively work to discover some of these long-lost items. It'd encourage more sorts of archeological/exploring expeditions as well, to find good places to find certain things.

I don't think we need another way to make money in the game economy, we need more things to spend money on.

Well, there is a rather simple fix for that. Make any of the items from the database that are discovered via this command have a flag similar to the non-removeable "tattered" flag, that set's the coded value of the item to 1 coin. So people couldn't just sell the items to NPCs to generate coins. They'd have to actively seek out PCs who are looking to learn recipes, or have old items in a collection or something for them to have any value.

A less simple, but still very cool addition might be to have the flag also cause the item to disentigrate and fall apart in your hands when you analyze it. So each item could only be analyzed once.

Stealth/hunting optimized for wilderness would be neat for Wastelander.
Bear with me