Author Topic: Public Discussion of New Classes  (Read 3387 times)

JohnMichaelHenry

Re: Public Discussion of New Classes
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2018, 08:17:52 PM »
Okay sure, but will npc soldiers and guards be adjusted to have lower detection skills or fewer of them with current detection skills? You got to make it past the guards at the door before even worrying about other players detecting you.

Maybe with this discussion, they might. Who knows? Would be pretty cool.

Editing to add: I think it might make more sense for someone who's job it is to guard something to have the higher levels of detection, where-as someone just walking around or "generic" npcs like soldiers, random shop npcs, or flavor npcs wandering around on the street might be at the lower end of the spectrum or closer to advanced at best.

My opinion with this idea is just the 'watch' skill. It will be best if guards and such have to pick who they want to keep an eye on, while the real sneaky hidey types can still plan and get inside.
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

hyzhenhok

« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2018, 10:43:29 PM »
I think people are undervaluing advanced sneak and hide with this iteration of the game,  perhaps. There's only three classes that are getting mastery level of detection skills, the rest are at advanced or lower. Meaning with equipment, you can potentially still get somewhat reliable stealth against players.

Unless advanced stealth in the new game is what master stealth used to be, I think we understand perfectly well. Without master sneak/hide, the danger isn't that you are detectable by people with perception. The danger is that you're going to fail your checks and thus be detectable by people without perception. "Somewhat reliable" is not reliable enough when one misstep is likely to get your character killed or marked for death.

It'd be great if the stealth mechanics were changing such that sneaky characters were detectable by only people with roughly equivalent or better detection skills. AFAIK no such rework is happening or is planned.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2018, 10:52:58 PM »
It might be interesting if hide were a toggle rather than a binary hidden/not hidden check. Someone without scan would still see your shadow if your hide skill was terrible, and be able to look at you. Anyone looking at you would roll for a success to see your short description (whatever it would currently be, i.e. the masked man, the hooded figure, the tall guy). The higher the scan skill, the more information they get when they look at your 'shadow'. Scan vs hide would still work exactly like it does now, with a check each time you try to look at or interact with a hidden person. That would at least give you a shot at getting away undetected, even if you rolled the equivalent of a critical fail pratfall.

Then again, that might make hide too powerful. It's already an invisible button once you hit master. Probably part of the point of all this is to reduce the ability for people to ghostwalk through the city and murder without risk.
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

Armaddict

« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2018, 12:16:04 AM »
Probably part of the point of all this is to reduce the ability for people to ghostwalk through the city and murder without risk.

Unless...they're...-less- focused on combat?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Morrolan

« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2018, 11:35:35 AM »
I, for one, want to say thank you to staff for all the work you put in. I am looking forward to trying something new.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2018, 01:41:46 PM »
I'm super excited about using one of these for my next concept.
then the father hen will call his chickens home

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2018, 06:45:35 PM »
I'm super excited about using one of these for my next concept.

Yeah, I'm hoping the higher distribution of skills, along with subguilds, will allow for more flexible concepts.  Interested to tinker around with it.
Where it will go

Cind

« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2018, 02:43:03 AM »
The new classes are live, right? Excitement!
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.