I am a born again Newbie

Started by Medena, June 15, 2018, 01:27:07 PM

Having played for 10 or so years, I am not exactly new but I might as well be.  I left Arm about 4 years ago and not only have I forgotten a lot, you've also changed a lot of things!  I know there are lots of avenues of help, one of which I've already availed myself of.

But here are some pressing questions you might be able to help me with:

1) Mud Client. Please recommend some?   In the past I've used Zmud and Gmud. I remember the former being awesome for hack n slash muds but complicated to set up and not really needed for Arm.  I'd like something basic and easy to use.

2) Extended subguilds.  These intrigue me.  Are they available in regular character creation?  Or are they a special application?  I used to have karma though I'm not sure if I will still have it after the changes to the karma system.  Can I just login and check that without going through character creation?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

I'm really impressed with MUSHclient, but I also play other MUDs on occasion.

There are some cool player-made scripts for both MUSHclient and Mudlet. I'd recommend both of them.

Ext subguilds are available IF You have karma. They are regularly usable if you do.

The Karma system flattened things out, but I think if you had at least 1 karma, you still do.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I'm born again, too!  There all kinds of neat little additions to be discovered.  In the last two years, the staff have managed to tweak and flesh out all kinds of little things that I am still discovering.

Here is a teeny, tiny (very partial) list of some of the improvements I am wow'd by:  Skill Drawing added, the way Bandaging works much improved; food rot!; you no longer occasionally, randomly Flee up a cliff face and then fall instantly back down, prone or upon your head; all those brewing nightmares - almost completely resolved! 

For clients, for Apple I still recommend Savitar.  Atlantis has its fans, too.
For PC I'm doing very well with Mudlet.

I don't know about the character creation with the sub-guilds, but you can log onto your account and try to create a new character.  That will show your approved options, so you could deduce Karma from that.

Seeker
p.s. Very, VERY Much WB!
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

They split archery into our skills as apposed to one master-race skill.
They added riposte and hack.
The chase and threaten commands are a thing now.

Mostly just a metric fuck-ton of quality of life changes.

Quote from: Seeker on June 15, 2018, 07:03:02 PM
I'm born again, too!  There all kinds of neat little additions to be discovered.  In the last two years, the staff have managed to tweak and flesh out all kinds of little things that I am still discovering.

Seeker!!  At first I didn't recognize you in that picture!  LOL.  How great it is to know that you are here again too.  Thanks for the little tidbits of things that I have to look forward to in the code.

Seeker!!!

I still feel bad about betraying Danu for that loyalty test. Still.

Woohoo another blast from the past!  Hi!

Now I definitely have to play again once my job settles down...

Quote from: Marauder Moe on June 16, 2018, 04:52:59 PM

Get in the water brah
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Hi and welcome back to Arm! :D

Quote from: Medena on June 15, 2018, 01:27:07 PM1) Mud Client.
I use tt++ but there are a number of player-made modifications scattered across the GDB that might help you choose a client.

Quote2) Extended subguilds.
You should still have karma if you had them before! The change only adjusts it to fit the new scale.

I don't know if there's a real way to see your karma level aside from submitting a request. When you log in next, maybe check out your race/guild options and compare those to the karma level they require?

I hope that helps a bit!

June 17, 2018, 04:17:26 AM #9 Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 01:30:19 AM by Seeker
Quote from: Delirium on June 15, 2018, 10:55:17 PM
Seeker!!!

I still feel bad about betraying Danu for that loyalty test. Still.

This is Armageddon.  And it was Danu.  Did you imagine he didn't know about the test?  And wasn't secretly rooting for you to give him the deadly bottle? 

pshah.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Thank you everyone for all the help and suggestions you've been giving.  It's kind of like riding a bicycle -- as an adult you feel like an idiot when you fall off but you get up and keep going.  :-)  I downloaded CMUD but not liking it.  I screwed up a lot on emotes for a while because I couldn't figure out how to disable special character ~.  Got that done finally but still don't like it.  Going to try out some of the other suggestions.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on June 16, 2018, 04:52:59 PM
Woohoo another blast from the past!  Hi!

You really do have to start playing again!!  Come on in, the water is fine.  I thought I might have forgotten how to swim, aka the emotes code, but it all came back really fast!

Quote from: Medena on June 15, 2018, 09:44:48 PM
Quote from: Seeker on June 15, 2018, 07:03:02 PM

Seeker!!  At first I didn't recognize you in that picture!  LOL.  How great it is to know that you are here again too.  Thanks for the little tidbits of things that I have to look forward to in the code.

Medena!! It's been forever and I'm still in love with your Fale noble  :-*

Quote from: Akaramu on June 18, 2018, 01:22:57 PM

Medena!! It's been forever and I'm still in love with your Fale noble  :-*

Thank you.  :-)  It definitely has been forever. Lapitia Fale was probably my favourite character ever though.

Welcome back Fam!  I'm still using Gmud32 but that's because I don't need all the bells and whistles.. I mean come on, its Armageddon  It's supposed to be hard. ;)

Lots and lots of cool new things IG these days, most notably is the floating city for flying kanks, but find out IG.

:P
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Welcome back. also Maurader moe I miss you.
"Bring out the gorgensplat!"

I've been mulling over a return to playing, but it won't be until September at the earliest, and possibly more likely October.

Chronic newbie going on 15 years.

Last time I played was nearly two years ago, and now I've been back binge playing for awhile ;)
Veteran Newbie

Wish I saw this thread earlier; started playing again less than a year ago and was similarly confused by the new subguilds so I made this precisely to assist with that:

https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker

When staff announce changes to subguilds <= 2 karma I am generally able to update it within 48 hours. A number of people have said this tool is helpful, feel free to message me with feature requests (b0urgeoisie requested one yesterday and I deployed the change again within 30 minutes), don't be shy.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Hello everyone!

I started playing again about six weeks ago.  After finally guessing my old password, it was quite a feeling to see a "Last on:" date ending in 2009!

To borrow Dracul's term, I have essentially been binge playing since.  The game's unique syntax came back remarkably fast, and I love the new changes (the designed interaction of the classes in particular).  I've also been lurking on the GDB, and it is great to see so many familiar names (though I don't expect many to remember me - I didn't post too often then).

Quote from: Zalanthan on December 22, 2019, 07:37:26 PM
Hello everyone!

I started playing again about six weeks ago.  After finally guessing my old password, it was quite a feeling to see a "Last on:" date ending in 2009!

To borrow Dracul's term, I have essentially been binge playing since.  The game's unique syntax came back remarkably fast, and I love the new changes (the designed interaction of the classes in particular).  I've also been lurking on the GDB, and it is great to see so many familiar names (though I don't expect many to remember me - I didn't post too often then).

Quote from: Dracul on December 17, 2019, 03:19:43 PM
Chronic newbie going on 15 years.

Last time I played was nearly two years ago, and now I've been back binge playing for awhile ;)

Hey!  Welcome back to you both.  I started this thread a year and a half ago after I'd been away for about four years.  I'm no longer binge playing but I'm still going strong in the game.  I'm on my third PC since I came back and enjoying new classes, new sub-classes, and other new stuff!