Author Topic: Should we show branching?  (Read 156 times)

Brokkr

• Administrator
Should we show branching?
« on: June 01, 2018, 07:59:54 PM »
Ok, so now you can see all the classes.  Should we show the branching paths things take?

On the one hand, our playerbase seems to have less time than it used to, and learning the way 15 classes branch might not be how they want to spend their time.  On the other hand, we ruin the joy of discovery for new (and old) players.

Here is what it might look like, obviously this isn't how they actually branch.

ENFORCER
Brutal and efficient, Enforcers often come from a criminal background and are possessed of a low cunning and a murderous efficiency in combat. Capable with whatever weapons fall into their hands, Enforcers lever every potential advantage in a fight, using a wide variety of underhand tactics to achieve their ends - be it by springing a hasty ambush or laying their foes low with a stunning strike. While enforcers find fast employ wherever their talents in killing find direct application - on either side of the law - they are also capable bodyguards and assassins for hire.

Starts with the following skills, which progress up to:

Master:  contact, barrier, bash, crossbow use, flee, guarding, kick, parry, rescue, threaten, shield use, dual wield, two handed, slashing weapons, piercing weapons, chopping weapons, bludgeoning weapons
Advanced: subdue, hide
Journeyman: forage, cooking

May eventually acquire the following skills through use, which progress up to:

Master:  expel, blowgun use, backstab, blind fighting, disarm, rescue, sap, throw
Advanced:  sneak, climb, sleight of hand

Abilities:
Can forage scraps of food in cities.
Stealth specialized for city environments.
Hunting specialized for city environments.

Skills branch per the following:
contact -> expel
subdue -> sleight of hand ->sneak
cooking -> blowgun use
cooking -> backstab
forage -> disarm
forage -> backstab -> sap
forage -> backstab ->throw

etc.

infinitehope

Re: Should we show branching?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 10:44:18 PM »
I personally think revealing the information is a good call, as im far on the side of mechanical information like this should be free to be known if one wishes to know.. maybe its possible to make separate help files with one for revealing branching paths so that those who want to discover it on their own, can do so, where as those who simply want to know, can. Honestly, this is one of those cases where you simply cannot please everyone - revealing the branching paths will also have people commenting and possibly complaining about how each skill is branched.

The only other option is to give hints at what might be branched, and possibly how, vaugely, within the helpfile itself, but again - cant please everyone.

Or possibly a command similar to symbol which reveals possible branched skills instead of the magicker words.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 12:33:30 AM »
How about something like...the starting enforcer will likely want to improve their headbutting, bandaging, cooking, smack talking and tanking skills.

So...a sentence with which starting skills branch, but nothing about what they branch into?

infinitehope

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 02:21:08 AM »
I could totally roll with that, yeah! Being pushed in the right direction while leaving some mystery behind it seems to motivate people a lot more.

in a ranty moment, I wish skill branching was more.. natural seeming in game. Every time i've encountered someone who branched a new skill, they seemed to have played it off as if they always knew how.

I always thought it'd be cool if a player would get ocasional messages saying that your character thinks your onto something, and may develop a new skill if x skill is practiced more, as suggested in my original post. I think it might encourage more organic RP about skill branching, too.

But.. off topic ranting aside. Leave the bait infront of their noses, make them excited, and let them rush out to explore!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 02:28:29 AM by infinitehope »

Inky

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 04:23:26 AM »
I remember the first time I played a long-lived assassin. I got hide to advanced and it stopped improving all the way until day 40. For some reason at that point I ticked over and branched all the skill assassins get from hide then.

I had just assumed that assassins capped out at advanced hide and that was it. So I think it's a good idea for people to know which skill they ought to be working on.

rinthrat

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 08:31:00 AM »
How about something like...the starting enforcer will likely want to improve their headbutting, bandaging, cooking, smack talking and tanking skills.

So...a sentence with which starting skills branch, but nothing about what they branch into?
I like this idea. You don't need to know what branches what (and can probably guess for a lot of things), but you don't want some skill sitting around untrained because you don't use it, then find out that it branches something essential 30 days played later.

Possibly be a bit more explicit - something like:

To develop additional skills, the starting enforcer will likely want to improve their headbutting, bandaging, cooking, smack talking and tanking skills.

I mean - the old guild helpfiles listed pretty explicitly which skills a guild got, both at chargen and through branching. You just had to read the helpfile. But there were still plenty of complaints that those skills weren't listed, because not everyone could interpret phrases like 'exceptional powers of observation' or the like.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 11:41:56 AM »
Well, the helpfiles as they are posted here would be what folks see at a minimum, so they would know skill maximums.  The only real questions is how much, if anything, to give away in terms of which skills branch.

rinthrat

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »
To clarify my earlier post - I liked the idea of giving away which skills branch, but not what they branch into. The rest of the post was just about how to best bring that across in a helpfile, and why I'd rather err on the side of being explicit.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 03:41:27 PM »
Does it make sense to do this just for starting skills, or for all skills that branch?  How many levels do we want to include?

To develop additional skills, the starting enforcer will likely want to improve their headbutting, bandaging, cooking, smack talking and tanking skills.

vs

The experienced enforcer can move on to even more advanced skills by improving armor optimization, undetectable sneak, large bludgeoning and mudsex skills.

vs

The experienced enforcer can move on to even more advanced skills by improving armor optimization, undetectable sneak and large bludgeoning.
The truly advanced enforcer can unlock additional skill(s) by improving their mudsex skills.

vs

The experienced enforcer can move on to even more advanced skills by improving armor optimization, undetectable sneak and large bludgeoning.
The truly advanced enforcer can unlock additional skill(s) by improving their mudsex skills.
The masterful enforcer doesn't need to worry about this line, since there are only two skills that require branching this far over all 15 classes.

Zwen

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 09:19:19 AM »
My opinion is that it's fine to show the branching, although indicating which skills will branch would be fine with me too.

In the past I've sometimes favored joy of discovery over transparency, but when it comes to branching, I'd just rather know so I can plan ahead. On at least a couple occasions, I've been frustrated that I ended up barking up the wrong tree because of an assumption I made about what branched from what. Sometimes you just really need that one key skill, so it makes sense to work your way toward it, but only if you know how.