Author Topic: American political thread  (Read 1894 times)

MeTekillot

Re: American political thread
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2018, 02:01:39 PM »
I also find myself swaying more towards feeling that the majority of the populace should be armed in the wake of the government flagrantly violating people's rights and well-being on a regular basis.
You honestly think we'll be able to outgun the heavily militarized police we have, or the actual military even, with the guns that are available to us?  :-\

I know waiting/hoping for the oppressor to grow a conscience will never work but... sigh I don't know what to say.

This is depressing.
There are 300 million people in America.

MeTekillot

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2018, 02:02:44 PM »
The working class needs to be reminded of the power that they have if they only used it.

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2018, 10:36:23 PM »
no
Where it will go

MeTekillot

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 04:32:25 PM »
No?

MeTekillot

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2018, 02:43:51 AM »
Wonder how much union busting and evangelical pandering new far right Supreme Court is gonna do once establishment Dems roll the fuck over as they always do.

Sayyadina

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2018, 03:26:39 PM »
Wonder how much union busting and evangelical pandering new far right Supreme Court is gonna do once establishment Dems roll the fuck over as they always do.

A lot.

I don't think Dems will grow a spine even after the Party of Trump and their new SCOTUS pick overturns Roe.
“No more should you doubt this, my prince – my sisters and I shall not wait ten-and-seven years for our vengeance.”

--Lady Nymeria Sand, A Feast for Crows

Lizzie

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2018, 07:54:15 PM »

A lot.

I don't think Dems will grow a spine even after the Party of Trump and their new SCOTUS pick overturns Roe.

I'm grateful that I'm past breeding age and have no kids. I am of the opinion that there should be mandatory adoption registration for anyone of voting age who is anti-abortion or votes for anyone promising to overturn Roe v Wade.  For every candidate in any election who is against Roe v Wade that you vote for, you must cover the cost of one unwanted infant, until that infant turns 18 years of age. Vote for 2 of them? You now bear the cost of raising 2 unwanted children from birth to 18.

Point being - SOMEONE has to pay for these kids. If you don't want "we the people" to provide for the kids not existing in the first place, then the burden falls on you to pay for it.

edited to add: I don't mean that you should have to adopt the unwanted kid. Only that you should have to pay for his/her life, til he/she is 18 years old. If someone else wants to raise them, awesome. But YOU should have to pay for it.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 07:55:51 PM by Lizzie »
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Molten Heart

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2018, 09:06:44 PM »
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:24:11 AM by Molten Heart »

MeTekillot

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2018, 01:53:44 AM »
There are more children in the system than people looking to adopt, yes. And people are much less likely to adopt the older they get.

Miggy

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2018, 02:17:23 AM »
Is there no end to what you people want the American public to pay for? What happened to individual responsibility? You already want us to pay for your abortion, AND your birth control. Ever hear of protection? There is plenty of it out there. Oh yea, we might have to pay for condoms too...  :P

If you don't wanna have a baby, don't get pregnant. It ain' rocket science. And don't tell me about how there are so many girls that get pregnant by rape, and why shouldn't we help them nonsense. Not sayin' it don't happen but its rare.

I do believe that if you abort a baby, you are taking a life. That's a person in there, whether you wanna believe it or not, it doesn't just come out of your womb and all of a sudden start living. He/she was already alive.  But, AS THE CONSIDERED PERSON FOR JUSTICE ALREADY SAID, a judges job is to interpret the law that was passed by congress, not to write it. Roe would never be overturned by a Supreme Court that respects and follows the Constitution, by which our GREAT, compassionate country was founded.

Not all who wander are lost
-Gandalf the Grey-

MeTekillot

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2018, 05:23:43 AM »
You're ending the life of a bunch of cells, sure, but not a person's life. Most abortions are when the fetus isn't any bigger than a blueberry, if that.

Nao

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2018, 01:51:12 PM »
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Strongheart

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2018, 04:09:04 PM »
In my opinion, the only exceptions to abortions beyond the first trimester should be health risks to the mother, cases of rape or incestual conceptions or any other detrimental reason. I personally wish that more people would adopt and refrain from having offspring of their own if it can be helped.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 04:13:23 PM by Strongheart »
Greater love hath no one than this, that one lay down their life for their friends.

Lizzie

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2018, 04:34:12 PM »
In my opinion, the only exceptions to abortions beyond the first trimester should be health risks to the mother, cases of rape or incestual conceptions or any other detrimental reason. I personally wish that more people would adopt and refrain from having offspring of their own if it can be helped.

"or any other detrimental reason" - how about the mental health of the mother? How about the financial health of the women who get pregnant but lack health insurance or jobs? How about teens who think "if I get pregnant he'll have to marry me" and then the guy says "oh hell no?" When the responsibility of producing another human being is the exclusive responsibility of the female, then I feel the male needs to just take a step back, and let the females decide what will - and will not - happen with their bodies.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Strongheart

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2018, 05:29:58 PM »
Exactly my point, Lizzie. Those would fall under "a detrimental reason".
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 06:53:08 PM by Strongheart »
Greater love hath no one than this, that one lay down their life for their friends.

Sayyadina

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2018, 07:39:06 PM »

I personally wish more people would adopt and refrain from being assholes if it can be helped. But weirdly people don't seem interested in changing their ways despite how much I wish and wish.

If the goal is to prevent abortions then the fix is simple and has lots of evidence behind it: easy access to birth control, especially the most effective methods namely long acting reversible contraception.
“No more should you doubt this, my prince – my sisters and I shall not wait ten-and-seven years for our vengeance.”

Strongheart

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2018, 07:49:50 PM »
Well said, people could stand not to be such assholes once and awhile.

MeTekillot

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2018, 11:55:56 PM »
The thing about easy access to education and birth control is that it leads to a decrease in the GOP voter base, Sayyadina.

Sayyadina

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2018, 02:06:52 PM »
The thing about easy access to education and birth control is that it leads to a decrease in the GOP voter base, Sayyadina.

The problem with most sex ed and birth control is they don't make women feel bad for having dirty dirty sex for purposes other than filling God's Quiver with Christian babies.

boog

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2018, 05:51:59 PM »
We just bullied poor countries with trade sanctions and military withdrawal if they supported a pro breastfeeding proposal.

We didn't bully Russia when they offered support for the resolution, however.

Fuck this place.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Sayyadina

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2018, 06:39:01 PM »
We just bullied poor countries with trade sanctions and military withdrawal if they supported a pro breastfeeding proposal.

We didn't bully Russia when they offered support for the resolution, however.

Fuck this place.

The worst part of the whole thing is that the US pressured Ecuador to help the multinational corporations that sell infant formula.

So to recap, right wingers say that "government choosing winners and losers is wrong Wrong WRONG" but when our government pushes other countries around to help corporations at the expense of babies, that's all honkey dorey. Right wingers also think it's a-ok when corporations push around elected legislatures, like in California where Big Soda scared the lege into banning taxes on sodas and in Seattle where Amazon et al pressured the city council into repealing a tax on big corporations to help the homeless something like a mere week after the tax was passed.

All this stuff has happened in the last few weeks.

People know they're getting screwed, and they can see who is getting richer and richer while wages are stagnant despite rent, tuition, healthcare premiums, and more are all going up up up.

MeTekillot

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2018, 08:36:22 PM »

The problem with most sex ed and birth control is they don't make women feel bad for having dirty dirty sex for purposes other than filling God's Quiver with Christian babies.
Most politicians don't actually care about any of the issues they represent, they care about votes and control.

lordcooper

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2018, 06:48:55 PM »
Reporter:

Just now, President Putin denied having anything to do with the election interference in 2016. Every U.S. intelligence agency has concluded that Russia did. What- who- my first question to you, sir, is, who do you believe? My second question is, would you now, with the whole world watching, tell President Putin - would you denounce what happened in 2016 and would you warn him to never do it again?

Trump:

So let me just say that we have two thoughts. You have groups that are wondering why the FBI never took the server. Why haven't they taken the server? Why was the FBI told to leave the office of the Democratic National Committee, I've been wondering that, I've been asking that for months and months and I've been tweeting it out and calling it out on social media. Where is the server? I wanna know where is the server and what is the server saying? With that being said, all I can do is ask the question. My people came to me, Dan Coats [U.S. Intelligence Chief] came to me, and some others, they think it's Russia. I have President Putin, he says it's not Russia. I will say this, I don't see any reason why it would be but I really do wanna see the server, but I have, uh, I have confidence in both parties - I really believe that this will probably go on for a while but I don't think it can go on without finding out what happened to the server? What happened to the servers of the Pakistani gentleman that worked on the DNC? Where are those servers? They're missing. Where are they? What happened to Hillary Clinton's emails? 33,000 emails, gone. Just gone. I think in Russia they wouldn't be gone so easily. I think it's a disgrace that we can't get Hillary Clinton's 33,000 emails. I have great confidence in my intelligence people but, uh, I will tell you that President Putin was extremely strong and powerful in his denial today and what he did is an incredible offer. He offered to have the people working on the case come and work with their investigators with respect to the 12 people. I think that's an incredible offer, okay? Thank you.

Verbatim.

Here's the video in case you struggle to believe that happened.  Somehow I still did.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

MeTekillot

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2018, 01:08:42 AM »
I thought "but her emails" was just strawman jibes.

MeTekillot

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2018, 01:55:06 AM »
Anyone else kinda anxious that the Republicans seem 100% on board with letting the Russians (and friends) hack voting systems to steal the November midterm? There's a district in Georgia reporting 243% turnout and insisting there's no problem.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/08/georgia-defends-voting-system-despite-243-percent-turnout-in-one-precinct/