Author Topic: Audio Book Recommendations  (Read 428 times)

ShaLeah

Audio Book Recommendations
« on: May 31, 2018, 07:20:32 PM »
I keep getting Audible free credits and I'm looking to use them. Anyone out there have any recommendations? I'm like a fish out of water with this.
Quote from: Oryx
Shal is on point.
Quote from: Cenghiz
And ShaLeah's evil, by the way.
Quote from: Anonymous
this doesn't sound very fun, shal
You didn't store did you
Because.. I lurve you.

MeTekillot

Re: Audio Book Recommendations
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 07:54:41 PM »
What kind of books you like? I've spent like $200 on Audible in the past year.

MeTekillot

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 07:55:43 PM »
Diary of an Oxygen Thief and the sequel Chameleon in a Candystore. About an abusive Irishman and his terrible relationships with women. He's an utter bastard but they're smartly written, and he gets his ass spanked in the first book to boot. Read by the author on Audible.

MeTekillot

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 08:00:37 PM »
The Expanse is alright, if you like pulp-y sci-fi. Brandon Sanderson's fantasy novels are good, if you don't mind his heavy Mormon sensibilities bleeding through into the narratives. Iain M. Banks's Culture novels are my absolute favorite series of books, backdrop and theme of sci-fi but the stories are more character-centric and the writing is very good. Joe Abercrombie's books are a decent read, kinda like GoT if GRRM had a competent editor and any skill at keeping plot threads together, though he is a little less skilled with prose.

Marc

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 07:47:12 AM »
Frank McCourt’s Angela’s Ashes is a fantastic audiobook.  McCourt reads it and it is absolutely amazing.  ‘‘Tis and Teacher Man are good too, but the first is great. Laugh out loud tear jerker.

John Williams’s Stoner was a fun listen.  Never even heard of it until I started listening.  It’s a portrait of an unspectacular life that when described sounds rather boring. It is anything but and I give it two thumbs up.

Karl Marlantes’ Matterhorn read by Bronson Pinchot made the latter my favorite narrator.

Chuck Palaniuk’s Pygmy and John Irving’s Prayer for Owen Meanie.  Radically different books but ones I enjoyed a LOT more having read to me then trying to read the physical book.

I also really enjoyed listening to David Wong’s John Dies at the End & Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits with my partner.  Lots of laughs.  Not winning any literary awards though.

If audiobooks are your thing, check out your local library network.  Many libraries offer digital downloads of audiobooks direct to devices.  My phone has an App for the library here and, if they own a copy, I can check it out and download without cost.
Quote from: Zhaira
I don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: Mansa
Marc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
If getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Marc

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 08:07:54 AM »
Browsing books here are some more suggestions:

Alice Walker’s A Color Purple read by the author.

Bret Ellis’ American Psycho read byPablo Schreiber.

Marlon James’ Brief History of Seven Killings read by Robertson Dean

Robert Heinlein’s The Moon is a Harsh Mistress read by Lloyd James, and really all of his stuff is fun.  Have spacesuit Will travel, Double Star, Starship Troopers etc etc etc

Pierce Brown’s Red Rising trilogy

Scott Lynch’s The Lies of Locke Lamora trilogy read by Michael Page

Neil Gaiman’s Norse Mythology read by the author and both American Gods and Anansi Boys.

Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian & The Road & All the Pretty Horses trilogy.

Anything by and read by Sarah Vowell or David Sedaris.

Anything by John Scalzi and read by Wil Wheaton

John Kennedy Toole’s A Confederacy of Dunces read by Barrett Whitener. My valve!  My valve!

Sylvia Plath’s The Bell Jar read by Maggie Gyllenhaal

So many more great performances

Quote from: Zhaira
I don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: Mansa
Marc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
If getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Molten Heart

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 11:43:55 AM »
I’ve been listening to audiobooks from Graphic Audio who’s tag line is “It’s like a movie in your mind”. They have different voice actors for each character and the narrator. They also have sound effects and music. I think Audible has something like this called “Full Cast”.

ShaLeah

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 12:47:52 PM »
I've never listened to a book before so I really don't know what I'd like to listen to or if I even can.

I like funny and drama, fantasy. I used to Stephen King and Dean Koontz a lot but I haven't really read much in many years so I'm pretty open to listening to anything.

Keep them coming!
Shal is on point.
You didn't store did you
Because.. I lurve you.

MeTekillot

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 09:04:55 PM »
Listening to books is about the same as reading, if you can split your concentration. I listen to books all night at work while I'm working, or when I'm doing any other menial task.

Fathi

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 02:23:40 AM »
If you want a Koontz or King-style fast-paced page-turner, I think you might enjoy this one, ShaLeah:

https://www.audible.com.au/pd/Crime-Thrillers/The-Woman-in-the-Window-Audiobook/B077MNL1NS
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

PriestlySiren

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 02:47:48 AM »
Red Rising trilogy was done really well.
if you aren't supposed to kill players why do they have money on their bodies when they die

ShaLeah

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 01:11:31 PM »
Here's what I got:

Children of Blood and Bone - recommended by The Handmaid
Diary of an Oxygen - recommended by MeTekillot
The Woman in the Window - recommended by Fathi
Stoner - recommended by Marc
The Handmaid's Tale - Full Cast option recommended by Molten Heart

The Red Rising recommendations intrigued me. I won't commit to a story that's longer than one. Last time I did that was Flowers in the Attic and all its brethren.

I think these will keep me busy on the beach for a bit.

Thank you guys.
Shal is on point.
You didn't store did you
Because.. I lurve you.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 07:56:00 AM »
I spend 8 hours a day on a 4wheeler with muzic and books in my ear. I have been crushing audiobooks.

They have a solid set of Gentleman Bastards. The narrator kills it with his voices.
David Gemmel's Rigante books are worth listening to but the narrator is painfully bad.
I listened to the first few Sword of Truth again. Not so bad.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

ShaLeah

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 11:01:15 AM »
Idle thoughts on listening to books:
I'm half way through "The Name of the Wind".
I miss the senses of smell,  touch and sight as they pertain to books.
I am looking forward to listening to others. Hopeful that I'll get lucky with the voice.  I don't hate this guy but I'd enjoy listening more if the sound was more to my liking.
Shal is on point.
You didn't store did you
Because.. I lurve you.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 09:50:52 PM »
Has anyone mentioned World War Z yet? That's supposed to be a great audiobook.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 12:23:31 AM »
Having been on travel a lot recently, I got an Amazon Audible subscription.  So far I listened to Three Body Problem and am almost finished with Head On (a sequel to John Scalzi's Lock In novel).  Next up is Gaiman's Norse Mythology.

All things being equal, I'm not sure I like audio books more than paper (well, e-reader) books.  The biggest problem is, unlike with text, audio books keep going if you fall asleep.

That said, reading in a moving vehicle gives me motion sickness very easily, so this has been great for airplanes.  It is also essential for airplanes to have a solid pair of active noise cancelling headphones.  I got a decent off-brand set for like $70 on Amazon.

MeTekillot

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 12:30:40 AM »

They have a solid set of Gentleman Bastards. The narrator kills it with his voices.
Didn't care for the narrative structure, flashbacks hamstring the pacing imo, but agreed on narration.

lostinspace

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 12:58:37 AM »
So, this isn't a book, but a web serial called Worm, it's pretty spectacular. And recently I realized that the whole thing has been made into a free audio-book podcast that I've been listening too a lot. You can check that out here http://audioworm.rein-online.org/. And if you want to know more about it you can check out the site where it's posted https://parahumans.wordpress.com/.

The entire thing is about the length of all 3 Lord of the Rings books combined, and the audiobook is very long. Word of note, it's narrated by volunteers and cycles between chapters. They do a good job though, I haven't had any complaints with it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 01:00:44 AM by lostinspace »
3/21/16 Never Forget

Insigne

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 06:04:13 AM »
So, this isn't a book, but a web serial called Worm, it's pretty spectacular. And recently I realized that the whole thing has been made into a free audio-book podcast that I've been listening too a lot. You can check that out here http://audioworm.rein-online.org/. And if you want to know more about it you can check out the site where it's posted https://parahumans.wordpress.com/.
I just got started on this and it's an interesting read so far!

lostinspace

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 01:32:51 PM »

You are in for a wild ride.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Bogre

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 06:25:21 PM »
I've heard American Gods is a great audiobook. I really loved Fragile Things, a collection of his short stories which he narrated, and why I started reading his stuff in the first place.

I'll have to check out Red Rising as an audiobook if I ever do a re-read. (Or Listen).

The Black Company is good on audio, too.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Insigne

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 01:10:02 AM »

Holy shit, you were right.

lostinspace

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 02:53:49 AM »

What chapter are you on?
3/21/16 Never Forget

Insigne

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 03:24:40 AM »

What chapter are you on?
I finished it the other day. Still reeling.