Duel Dice

Started by AdamBlue, May 20, 2018, 07:40:43 AM

Come one, come all! Hear the tale! There's battle here, and it never fails! Care to gamble, care to dance? You bet your coin, or bet your pants!

Dueling Dice a simple game that can be played with just two dice, and started as a pass-time in fighting pits, as ways to settle disputes between warriors who were too injured to enter real combat.
The only requirement is to have two numbered dice, two hands, a friend (or a sucker), and the ability to count to at least seven!

This is how the dice goes-

Two people decide who starts the game with a coin toss, or by simple decision. Then, the attack starts.
Both people start with seven pieces of armor. These can be either be imaginary, with a 'woundkeeper' to announce the score, or in higher end clubs can be represented, manually, with symbols.
Whoever starts first rolls two die, slamming down one from each hand. The left die is their shield, and the right die is their sword.
One the attack dice has been rolled, anywhere between one and six, the defender has two options.
They can either BLOCK to REDUCE the amount of damage taken by that amount, to a minimum of ONE...
Or EVADE the attack completely by rolling a HIGHER number. However, if they fail to dodge, they take the entire strike.
Allow me to show you a game for example...

Deus and Aeus decide to play a game of Duel Dice. Deus flips a coin, and calls heads.
It lands on tails, so Aeus goes first.
Aeus rolls two dice. His left hand drops the die, and it's a six. However, since this is the first turn and he has nothing to defend against, it is wasted.
His right hand drops the die. It's a two.
Deus sees the two, and must decide to block it or dodge it. Extremely cautious, he decides to block it.
Deus rolls a two. He takes a single piece of 'damage'. This block was smart, as he would have had to roll a 3 or more to dodge it.
At the same time, he drops his right die, revealing his counterattack. It's a two as well.
Aeus, taking the dice back, announces he is to dodge this roll. He rolls his dice. His left die is a three, and his right die is a six. He dodges the attack entirely, then retorts with a six.
Deus, facing a number he cannot roll higher than to dodge, MUST block. He rolls a five. He only takes a single piece of damage. He rolls a 1 to attack. The score is Deus with five left, and Aeus with his full seven.
Aeus, seeing the pitiful one, realizes that being unable to roll lower than a one, he dodges. As blocking a '1' would still result in him taking 1 anyway.
Aeus tries to dodge, but rolls a 1 himself, taking the blow. The score is Deus 5, Aeus 6. Aeus's attack dice on the right hand side is a six once more.
Deus, struck with grief, must block. He rolls his dice, and lands '1' again on his defensive roll.  He takes five damage, and loses.
Aeus laughs, and tucks his rigged dice back into his coat pocket, and collects his winnings.
---
The game seems slightly complex, but is actually incredibly simple after you've realized the rules.
To recount,
Both players start with seven.
Blocking reduces the damage by that much, to a minimum of 1. (To represent a shield breaking, over time)
Dodging totally evades all damage if you roll higher than the attack. You take full damage, however, if you fail to roll higher.
You roll both die at once. The left die is the defensive roll, the right die is the offensive roll.
Facing a 1, you always dodge.
Facing a 6, you always block.
Once you have lost all of your health, you die, and you lose the game. (And any winnings you may have bet)
---
ADVANCED RULES: If you have only a single hit remaining, and you face an opponent that has rolled a 6 in their attack, you are in a situation where you cannot win. In this circumstance, you may announce that you will be doing a Last Stand. If you roll a six on your defensive AND offensive dice in retort to facing the 6, you will dodge the blow and strike back with your own 6. This is an extremely rare situation, and has lead to many upsets where the clear loser has turned it all around in one lucky roll.
---
If you have any questions regarding this game, please mention them in this thread, and I would be glad to help clear them out.

As far as I know, using game syntax....

The gaming dice in game only come in pairs, and can only be rolled at the same time.  It might be better for the explanation if you were to have some examples of syntax, like a log of a couple sample rolls.

Something like

>roll dice table
You roll the dice on the table and it lands:

>say Six is my attack, and One is my defence
the tall, muscular man says, in Sirihish:
   "Six is my attack, and One is my defense"

the short, fat elf gets a pair of obsidian dice from a table

the short, fat elf rolls on a table and it shows up something like:

the short, fat elf says in Sirihish:
   "Two and Three, suck it trebec!"

Or something similar to that.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on May 20, 2018, 12:51:23 PM
As far as I know, using game syntax....

The gaming dice in game only come in pairs, and can only be rolled at the same time.  It might be better for the explanation if you were to have some examples of syntax, like a log of a couple sample rolls.

Something like

>roll dice table
You roll the dice on the table and it lands:

>say Six is my attack, and One is my defence
the tall, muscular man says, in Sirihish:
   "Six is my attack, and One is my defense"

the short, fat elf gets a pair of obsidian dice from a table

the short, fat elf rolls on a table and it shows up something like:

the short, fat elf says in Sirihish:
   "Two and Three, suck it trebec!"

Or something similar to that.

The left dice would be defense, the right offense. I imagine.