Small additions

Started by sleepyhead, May 15, 2018, 12:35:04 PM

May 15, 2018, 12:35:04 PM Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:39:29 PM by sleepyhead
I really like the new content idea thread, and I hope staff are reading and getting excited and inspired! But with all the discussion going on there about what does and doesn't constitute "content," I thought I'd make a thread about little additions*, whether they're small code additions or small game-world changes, that don't really qualify as "content" but might be really cool to see. Often it's the attention to detail that makes Armageddon so special.

*I know some people may be tempted to say that all code changes are a big deal, but my calling them "small" is more about the scope of the changes rather than the amount of effort they'd take to implement. I am definitely not trying to push some workload onto staff, just brainstorm!

Here's some of mine:

- It'd be cool to be able to 'hack' armor on the ground for the sake of armor repair (if you can't already; the helpfile makes it seem like it's only for enemies). Armor repair is notoriously hard to get up and there's no reason someone interested in practicing shouldn't be able to do this.

- As has been suggested many times before, an internal emote or at least an 'imagine' command. Just some way of increasing the versatility of the feel command.

- The morning devotions templar could call out the day of the week, giving us unaffiliated loser commoners in Allanak an excuse for occasionally knowing it's Huegel or whatever! There could maybe be criers in other settlements, and maybe even the day of the month and the year could be stated without being too annoying. I don't know, but I've always wondered how commoners can tell this stuff, and this could be a neat answer.

- You should be able to junk coins!

- You should be able to flee 'in' to somewhere (don't think you can) and watch 'in' as well.

- Make Nilazi subguilds already! (Okay, this isn't a small addition, but it's my pet issue so I have to list it every time.)

- Easier to implement new brew recipes. An accessible escru-farm for getting milk from. More tea and juice and other non-alcoholic drinks.
- Sky rooms over the Red Desert.

- groaning when bandage fails.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

May 16, 2018, 02:43:46 AM #4 Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 03:02:16 AM by Sorry
Quote from: cshoov on May 15, 2018, 01:52:07 PM
Quote from: Delirium on May 15, 2018, 01:01:12 PM
More tea and juice and other non-alcoholic drinks.
+1
Yes! There's an argument that alcohol would be more popular to dull the pain and sadness of the world but at the same time it depends a lot on the characters' personalities, some are too stubborn for that and don't want to be drunk when others'/their life might depend on it at any moment

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperance_bar seems very Allanaki

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Organisation_of_Good_Templars lol :)

Though aw I didn't know there wasn't an escru farm that's like ruining father christmas :( but at the same time saves a lot of pointless quests, that would be awesome then if they get added later... And food recipes/tea/other drinks mixing to go with them etc
"And in her long nights, in her long house of smoke and miller's stones, she baked the bread we eat in dreams, strangest loaves, her pies full of anguish and days long dead, her fairy-haunted gingerbread, her cakes wet with tears."

- You should be able to throw objects that are not throwing weapons, even if all you can do is just throw them in a direction. I need to be able to toss things off cliffs, for example. (And it goes without saying that it shouldn't set off crimcode to do so)

Quote from: sleepyhead on May 16, 2018, 11:58:51 AM
- You should be able to throw objects that are not throwing weapons, even if all you can do is just throw them in a direction. I need to be able to toss things off cliffs, for example. (And it goes without saying that it shouldn't set off crimcode to do so)

This, with the age old "I can throw a torch into the cave and light up the darkness without being in there."
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

What about a command that shows current server time? Like, you enter "servertime" and it returns the current date and time. It'd be good for people in very different time zones, and also good for logging, so if you encounter a bug you can remember exactly when it happened for reporting purposes.

Ooh, maybe there could even be an in-game converter that changes server time to IG time and back. Though I wouldn't want such a tool to discourage people from using OOC for maximum ease and clarity.

Quote from: sleepyhead on May 18, 2018, 11:11:56 AM
What about a command that shows current server time? Like, you enter "servertime" and it returns the current date and time. It'd be good for people in very different time zones, and also good for logging, so if you encounter a bug you can remember exactly when it happened for reporting purposes.

Server Time is 5/18/2018 11:51:42 AM

Local Time is ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎51‎:‎43‎ ‎AM

That is found on the main page for the game. While I like to keep all things in one place, so a command would be helpful, this literally already exists.

When it comes to logging for bugs, what do you mean? If you use the bug command, its going to use its internal time and date anyways. Do you mean "This happened to me last Thursday at 9pm?" In that case, I DO think it'd be useful, but that seems like a real fringe case.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I know it's already on the website, but why can't it be in the game too? It's a small want for a reason. Yes, I mean when you're sending in a report through the request tool, the time can be in the log. I don't think it's that fringe. I've wished I had a time command in the prompt at least twice this past week.

One of the reasons I have wanted it was because my character was trying to keep track of how long something took and if the time it took was getting shorter, but the only time that is kept track of in game are 10-minute "hours" (which is really a ninth of an entire day.) It would be nice to just have it all there in the game to be able to keep track of rather than having to look at the clock. I know it's not a big deal to look at a clock, but like I said, small wants.

Quote from: sleepyhead on May 18, 2018, 11:13:55 AM
Ooh, maybe there could even be an in-game converter that changes server time to IG time and back. Though I wouldn't want such a tool to discourage people from using OOC for maximum ease and clarity.

This would be a radical quality of life addition, even if small:

> zconv 12:30 23/03/2018

High Noon, Detal, 1st Age, Year Seven

> zconv high noon detal 1 7

12:30 23/03/2018

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Until then, there's always this, which I use pretty much all the time:

https://armtimeconverter.neocities.org/

May 19, 2018, 03:08:42 PM #13 Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 03:10:15 PM by sleepyhead
This would probably be tricky to implement for a small and ultimately aesthetic change, but it'd be neat if you had to yell to be heard during big storms (unless the other person passes a listen check), but you would still only be heard in the same room. It might seem unnecessary (since it functionally changes nothing), but I feel like it would be immersive and remind people to RP around storms even when it isn't dark outside. And it wouldn't really be all that annoying, because shouting is codedly as easy as talking. It'd just add a touch more flavor to stormy scenes.

I suppose that the only real effect it would have would be that communicating between rooms would become much more difficult during harsh storms. (Maybe listen could help there, as well.) But shouldn't that be the case? Sounds fun to me.

I like it. Maybe a check depending on the severity level of the storm.

Gesturing wildly, the tall, muscular man says something, but it is drowned out by the storm.

Rising his voice above the winds, the tall, muscular man shouts in sirihish:
   "Drov beetles incoming!"

Someone can be standing in a blinding sandstorm and not be able to identify the person next to him, much less look into adjacent rooms. Yet someone else can be standing three rooms away in clear weather and be able to see the first person without difficulty. Fix it!

Quote from: Eyeball on May 19, 2018, 04:36:13 PM
Someone can be standing in a blinding sandstorm and not be able to identify the person next to him, much less look into adjacent rooms. Yet someone else can be standing three rooms away in clear weather and be able to see the first person without difficulty. Fix it!

Word.