Author Topic: HELP! Facebook keeps blocking my accounts  (Read 1643 times)

Akaramu

Re: HELP! Facebook keeps blocking my accounts
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 02:42:18 PM »
Okay, complaint filed through the BBB. THANK YOU, VESELKA! You were super helpful  :-*

Grapes

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 01:02:55 AM »
Best of luck! Sucks they were messing with you that way. I deactivated my account before because relatives would post things to my wall like, "So glad you're coming home for Christmas!" and I'm like, uhhhh *facepalm*, and suddenly my relatives all start getting harrassing, threatening phone calls from detectives in half a dozen counties over, traffic tickets. Each time I had to put out a fire by telling who I was visiting, "Chill, they can't do anything, they're lying, this isn't their jurisdiction, and it isn't anything major."

Finally put my page back up when I got them paid off. Now? Nobody says "Can't wait to see you at X!!" anymore on my wall. But damn, it's like each time before, when it counted, they forgot.

ETA: Imagining a dystopian sci-fi horror where in order to report anything to any agency, you need to go through facebook.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

lordcooper

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 12:15:04 PM »
The BBB is at best a toothless circlejerk of an organisation that exists solely to placate "I WANT TO SPEAK THE MANAGER" types, and at worst actively engages in extortion and bases ratings primarily upon if (and how much) businesses are paying them.

I'd really encourage people not to engage with them.  They're not a government agency, they're not a consumer watchdog or advocate, at best they're Yelp for old (even older?) people.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

TheWanderer

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »
Disagree. They’re pretty effective in what they do every now and again.

I encourage people to engage with them if you’re being dicked around. They’re a good first resort that requires little time and energy.
Whatever happens, happens.

Grapes

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 04:08:26 PM »
Well, when someone is treating me, as a customer, extremely unfairly, refusing to admit a mistake, refusing to communicate like a human being, then yes, I'm going to ask to speak to the manager, because the alternative is to clap my hands over their ears, and I don't fancy violence.
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2018, 04:18:29 PM »
The unfortunate problem is that none of us are Facebook customers.

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2018, 05:44:17 PM »
I advertise on Facebook, I would say I am a facebook customer.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Lizzie

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2018, 06:52:42 PM »
I advertise on Facebook, I would say I am a facebook customer.

So do I. And if I had messages to my commercial page from people who I discover didn't use their real names, making multiple accounts in an attempt to circumvent the rules. I'd report them and block them. Every single time. That kind of thing can ruin a commercial account. One of my group's competition got hit with multi-account spammers and they ended up with no-one going to their festival. The fakers posted announcements claiming that the festival had been cancelled because the Mayor shut them down for fraud. Cost them tens of thousands of dollars in refunds to the vendors and the venue. It wasn't our group who did it - it was a few vendors who didn't make a profit at that other group's previous festival. Those vendors aren't welcome at our festivals now - we can't afford the risk.

If you say no to one, you have to say no to them all. Every time you make an exception to the rule, you weaken the rule.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Akaramu

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2018, 07:50:58 PM »
If they made it easier to communicate with support - and talk to a real human being - maybe people wouldn't have to make multiple accounts. ::)

Demanding an ID before users can even reach support is ridiculous. I guess it's good way to harvest even more private user data to sell to the highest bidder, because most Internet users are naive and clueless.

They could also make it so your real name isn't plainly visible to anyone looking at your FB page's address, and maybe try to stop making headlines with lost or compromised user data.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:07:42 PM by Akaramu »

Grapes

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2018, 10:21:32 PM »
See, if we're not paying SOMETHING for the privilege of using facebook, then where are they getting their money? Fellow do-gooders just looking to bring people together? No, there's a price you pay, that's why facebook is so dang rich. That money didn't just fall out of the sky.

Akaramu

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2018, 07:54:35 AM »
Yep, I'm not having as much luck as Veselka did. Looks like I really have to create a new account from a different device and IP address...  :-\

I'm even telling them exactly what the issue is and why these 'security alerts' keep popping up, and they're basically ignoring everything I say. It's like talking to a wall.

MeTekillot

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2018, 08:40:34 AM »
Use Twitter.

James de Monet

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2018, 10:15:45 PM »
Apropos of this discussion, I just got a video from Facebook on my feed touting how they are “removing fake accounts” and that “fake accounts are not your friends”.  Interesting.

The sad truth is that anonymity benefits genuine individuals and culprits alike.  It does not benefit corporations, because they don’t care about your privacy (except as it affects their bottom line), and it can facilitate things like catfishing, speafishing, fraud, stalking, and bullying, which are bad for business.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Akaramu

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2018, 02:52:47 PM »
The sad truth is that anonymity benefits genuine individuals and culprits alike.  It does not benefit corporations, because they don’t care about your privacy (except as it affects their bottom line), and it can facilitate things like catfishing, speafishing, fraud, stalking, and bullying, which are bad for business.

Fact is, though, that millions upon millions of perfectly legit and well-behaved Facebook users don't use their real name (often for good reason) and no one cares as long as they don't get reported. FB doesn't care about catfishing or stalking, they only care about their collected data being worth less $$ if it isn't linked to real identities. And anonymity PROTECTS from stalking. It's easy to avoid / block people on the Internet, but if they know where you live, things get REALLY scary. Trust me, I know.

That said, I changed the name of my first account (the one that was originally reported) to a real-sounding persona and now I have a FB account again. No one told me I could simply change the name to fix the problem instead of creating new accounts.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:56:17 PM by Akaramu »