New Class Tidbits

Started by Brokkr, April 17, 2018, 11:59:55 PM

Going to post little tidbits about the new classes here.  I'll leave the thread open a day or two after I post, then close until the next time.  Please keep comments on topic to the last posted bit.

As with anything to do with the new classes, stuff is subject to change without notice, no warranty or guarantee is made or implied!

First bit:

Every class has at least one weapon skill.  Yes, even Heavy Merchantile classes!

When you say that they all have at least one, are they capped at a reasonable level?

Depends what you think a reasonable level is.

Which class starts with the most $$$
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Are the weapon skills featured different from the core four that warrior and ranger starts with? Will there be any weapon skills that are completely new (whip, claw)?
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Quote from: Brokkr on April 18, 2018, 12:32:22 AM

As in, will a merchant class in any way be able to challenge a heavy combat class in terms of pure skill?

Are "advanced" weapons still gated? Or will there still just be the basic 4? I worry that everyone having at least one weapon skill will lessen the effect of a heavy combat character having access to numerous weapon types.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Brokkr on April 18, 2018, 01:29:09 AM
Quote from: Brokkr on April 17, 2018, 11:59:55 PM
Please keep comments on topic to the last posted bit.

Is this in reference to me? I felt like my question was fairly in keeping with the topic of weapon skills within the new classes.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Narrow topic, not the category the topic is in.  So yeah, not answering things about advanced weapons.

Quote from: Hauwke on April 18, 2018, 02:36:49 AM
Quote from: Brokkr on April 18, 2018, 12:32:22 AM

As in, will a merchant class in any way be able to challenge a heavy combat class in terms of pure skill?

There are other factors that would go into that other than weapon skill, that make that sort of a hard question to answer.

Roundabout, lets say they are near burglars?

Cool beans. Yeah, I've noticed that IG. I approve, it makes guild sniffing a little harder.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Quote from: Brokkr on April 18, 2018, 02:46:29 PM
Narrow topic, not the category the topic is in.  So yeah, not answering things about advanced weapons.

Since you called out mine in particular, despite your topic being set to "weapon skills" and mine being directly related to that topic, I'll try and re-word.

If every main guild is getting at least one weapon skill, are those weapon skills the same 4 types we are used to seeing, or is there a possibility that we will be surprised?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

At this point, it is just the 4.

Second bit:

We changes some things into what we are calling abilities.  In the past, for instance, ranger wilderness quit was a bit of code tied directly to the ranger class.  The way things work was rejiggered so that the code creating that capability is now tied to an ability.  Abilities can then be applied to classes, in an easier way than before.

The current version of the class helpfiles list out (most of) the abilities that a class has.

Will there be any precedent for classes that don't have 'abilities' to earn them through lots of roleplayed practice and training from someone who has said ability?

Abilities attach at the class and subclass level, not at the character level.

What kind of abilities are we talking about? Aside from Wilderness Quit that is.

Race abilities?

That's all I hear that's truly worth hearing since...classes already -get- skillsets and you're literally in the process of developing them right now. XD
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Brokkr on April 21, 2018, 02:42:42 AM
not at the character level.

Brokkr is introducing character levels, confirmed.

Quote from: Brokkr on April 20, 2018, 07:02:26 PM
Second bit:

[...]

The current version of the class helpfiles list out (most of) the abilities that a class has.

Is the 'current version of the class helpfiles' player-facing at the moment?  If so, where?
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Play testers get the help file for the class they are going to play.

Abilities are a formalization of things that already exist, delineated out a bit more and done in a way that is more flexible.  Things that were directly attached to classes, since we can't rely on that for the new classes.  Being able to hitch two mounts.  Ciity / wilderness sneak.  Etc.

It makes a lot more sense. I was often getting the ranger class simply for grebbers interested in grebbing food, or burglar for hiding in taverns. Skills I had no real business throwing away my whole guild to have, and sometimes came with other skills that didn't make sense for me to have. If ranger quit were dependent on you say having journeyman bowhunting, then that would make more sense.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

With a handful of exceptions, the new classes starting skill levels are higher in things they are able to get really good at.

This is based on the underlying number skill level, rather than the descriptive word you see, such that there is only a certain number, or less, of skill points between starting and max skill level for any skill.

We are trying out something for the new classes where riding with two hands full is dependent on more than simply getting to a certain level of ride skill.