Ideas for Content to Add to the Game

Started by Cind, April 16, 2018, 12:58:10 AM

Quote from: boog on June 05, 2018, 10:28:50 PM
It would give Allanaki nobles something to work towards, for, or whatever. So many of them grow stagnant and boring because they really don't have a way to get better, or to make their house fail or fall. And that's just kinda shitty. There are only so many types of parties you can throw and normie PCs you can behead with a flick of your fingers before you become redundant.

At the risk of sounding mean spirited, I actually think most players of nobles just don't have enough creativity. There are so many things you can do as a clan leader besides fail or fall, or throw a party or behead someone. So many! There are a lot of intricate political deals that could be hammered out over a lengthy period of time, things that would leave a long lasting impact on the clan even after they are gone. I just don't think most players realize this so instead they get bored (or become boring) and declare that "there's nothing to do with a sponsored role".

However, yeah, adding content (storytelling) to Allanak or Tuluk would help offer some inspiration for noble and templar PCs, who would then pass their plots down to the rest of the clan, which would possibly then extend to other clans as well.

Stories, yes. I feel like we have good stories now, but nobles really do seem to be here one day and gone the next for lack of things to do. Now, if the role calls were for several nobles at once (and often they are) then maybe they'd have more to work with.

I idea'd this, but maybe we could put in an additional cook in each House kitchen. Eating the same six things for many years is going to get old. It doesn't even have to be good stuff, maybe that new dwarf cook will only give you varieties of steak. Make it funny, even. Give House cooks a reputation for having one candycane short of a candy shop. Fleshing out the culture in small ways like this would do wonders.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

----------------------------
>s

Salaar's Kitchen
     This is Salaar's kitchen area, and it looks real nice but also still practical because you don't work for the 0.1%. There's stone stuff and bone stuff and no one has even heard the word metal in a couple of months.
A guard stands here, looking pouty.
The original Salaari cook stands here, offering a piece of bread, a type of stew and maybe some kind of white cheese or lizard meat.
The new npc dwarf is here, and everyone is watching him closely to make sure he's really a npc.

>ask dwarf help

The new npc dwarf says, cautiously, as though expecting backlash, "I make carru steak, chalton steak, scrab steak and horror steak. Don't you even _dare_ ask me for anything else."

------------------------------------------------------------------

>w

Kurac's Kitchen
     Kurac's kitchen area is made of old spice bricks, glued together with something that is obviously keeping the rock-hard spice from withering away, but it probably shouldn't be touched more often than is absolutely necessary. Sort of like how everyone knows sifting in the Sea turns your bones to rock, like it does those little rock skulls, but people do it anyway, mainly because they try not to think about it.
The overly breasty female guard is here, practicing her swing whenever someone walks in.
The original Kuraci cook is here.
The elf cook is here, because they can only do this bit in Kurac.

>ask elf help

>The elf cook says, eyes darting between you and the guard, "I can, uh, you know, uh, I've got soup, and then there's this sort of bread, but don't tell the guard I've got it, I swear, I'll cut you, but umm, I also have some spice cake, free feel to have that, _seriously,_ don't tell a fucking soul, I know where you sleep, I can describe it to you if I have to, and we have steak too."
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Cind on June 06, 2018, 12:44:30 AM
Stories, yes. I feel like we have good stories now, but nobles really do seem to be here one day and gone the next for lack of things to do.

I still don't think it's a lack of things to do so much as a perceived lack of things to do. In my experience, staff aren't going to throw out a list of ideas of what you can do with your sponsored role, you have to ponder that up yourself. And for that you need creativity, which not everyone has.

Also in my experience from playing a sponsored role or two in the past, staff (depending on the individual in question) can be very supportive with your ideas and proposals. A lot of the really cool stuff you can do with these roles hinges entirely on staff support in order to be successful, but that's part of the experience of a sponsored role, noble or otherwise.

I would love to list some of the cool ideas a sponsored role could pursue to help generate interest for their clan, but I'd rather keep those to myself in case I decide to app for one in the future. The only ones who will succeed in these roles are the ones with creativity, perseverance, and an ability to hear no more often than yes. Unfortunately, these three qualities in tandem come in short supply, which is why you see many sponsored roles flop before they even get started.

In my experience, staff DO sometimes throw out a bone for "you could chase this plot line" but not everyone takes it, and its not always something the PC would want to take.

Sergeant Rush was thrown into the mix pretty early in his career, and lost a lot of good people. When someone wanted him to go back into the mix, he was very reticent to do so, feeling like he failed himself, the Company, and his people the last time. The plot line was great, had a ton of potential, and staff were really pushing it. But it didn't make sense for my PC to just jump at it, considering his feelings.

So sometimes you get stuck with a story that is great, and the players don't take it, and I can imagine what its like imagining a great plotline with a ton of really cool hooks but it relies on a PC taking it and they won't. Kind of like when a Player comes up with a plotline but staffers have to be kind of into it, themselves.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I do that a lot, sometimes, something about my character, like them being a foreigner in the place where they work, I have mental hang-ups that aren't quite disorders but are kind of tied into what I have, and I'll compulsively store over something, if I'm lucky I'll change my mind quickly enough and have that precious character for another two or three weeks. I often feel like I shouldn't try to join clans, because it requires a little paperwork and I know I'm going to store over something. Looking on the bright side, I get to try many things, even though a lot of them have to be vanilla, everyman roles because excitement really takes it out of me.

I say go ahead and be a part of things, what's the worst that can happen, you and your whole vnpc family gets killed? Plot your vengeances.

I remember someone saying something to the effect that they thought gith wars were a more vanilla form of plot, but I. Love. Gith. Wars. Its an excuse to kill/donate money to the killers of gith! No one is playing them so the player doesn't need to feel bad about wiping them out. It would be really nice, though, if during a gith war, staff allowed certain responsible and willing players to play gith. There is -nothing- like an intelligent and battle-hardened enemy working together to kill you.

I would absolutely love LOVE love a full blown gith war between the gith and Allanak, full blown to the point where if you even step out of the gate you are going to either die, or sneak past a couple till one spots you and you die. Have it go on for a few RL weeks or even months.

Quote from: Hauwke on June 07, 2018, 03:41:44 AM
I would absolutely love LOVE love a full blown gith war between the gith and Allanak, full blown to the point where if you even step out of the gate you are going to either die, or sneak past a couple till one spots you and you die. Have it go on for a few RL weeks or even months.

Or at least just remove the silly code that tells them not to wander close to cities.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on June 07, 2018, 10:55:39 AM
Quote from: Hauwke on June 07, 2018, 03:41:44 AM

Or at least just remove the silly code that tells them not to wander close to cities.

That would also work. Make me scared!