Ideas for Content to Add to the Game

Started by Cind, April 16, 2018, 12:58:10 AM

Lowering the price for sections of low-quality hide in Storm, or increasing the price for which you can sell it back to the Sand Lord, would allow a human with above average wisdom to start making money on that skill, which would make career leathercrafters in Storm more possible. Right now the only way you'd get me to do it is if I rolled up an elf with decent wisdom. My human with above average wisdom and advanced leatherworking was breaking even for RL days in Storm before I said, "Screw this," and went to get a different job.

Cookbooks for that tiny section of commoners who can read and write, like Atrium teachers, trusted aides, and House merchants. These would not give you the recipe for grebber's surprise, but probably would tell you how to make things like ginka pie. Bonus points for being written like an actual cookbook.

An extra helpfile linked to in the cooking helpfile: Recipes Most People Would Know, such as those a hunter would know like grebber's surprise and bone marrow broth. Then maybe a couple of Tuluki recipes and a couple Luir's and Storm. A couple that elves would know, such as one non-Kuraci spice fruitcake I made once, which was done by elves for elves (without a roundear in sight!) and would only really be accessible to elf travelers who couldn't afford or get their hands easily on Kuraci cakes (since House merchants tend to drag ass for undesirables' orders.)
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Cultural traits for bows, arrows, weapons and shields made by any one person, represented as a single line of descriptive code. The exception would be half-elves and giants, who would probably make weapons that look human. At character creation you could decide if your half-elf was raised by elves, therefore allowing them to make elvish weaponry.

It would probably be assess, a single line of code saying, "This has the look of elven/dwarven/human weaponry." If it were anything else (probably besides gith and mantis), the line would be blank. Merchants of course can tell if the item is southern, made by a merchant House, but an elf could tell what an elvish bow looked like, and any dwarf could tell what a dwarven sword looked like. Humans could recognize human craftsmanship, at least at a basic level. Perhaps you would need to either be a merchant or to fight with the weapon class in question to tell other races' handiwork.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Foraging could occasionally turn up a really big rock. Heavy enough that only a half-giant could reasonably lift it. (Maybe a really strong dwarf).

When found, they'd be placed on the ground instead of the inventory.

Big rocks could open up some new crafting options. Like large bricks, or sculptures (that aren't in miniature), sundials, boulders for catapults and the like.

Quote from: Eyeball on April 22, 2018, 04:21:50 AM
Foraging could occasionally turn up a really big rock. Heavy enough that only a half-giant could reasonably lift it. (Maybe a really strong dwarf).

When found, they'd be placed on the ground instead of the inventory.

Big rocks could open up some new crafting options. Like large bricks, or sculptures (that aren't in miniature), sundials, boulders for catapults and the like.

Searching around carefully, you find a giant boulder of sandstone twice your height that you... somehow didn't notice was there before.

Edit: I'm just yanking your chain; it's not a bad idea.

April 22, 2018, 03:27:10 PM #29 Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 03:34:04 PM by Akaramu
Nilazi, Drovians and Elkrosians

Make magickers great again! Instead of the unpopular kids (more unpopular than elves) everyone picks on because they can and because it's easy to do so now. If the docs say something is feared because it's freaking dangerous, it needs to be freaking dangerous. Screw 'balance'. I fell in love with Armageddon because it was unbalanced and unfair.

Playable gypsies

Northlands stuff, bring Tuluk back or introduce another place for people to play in that isn't Allanak and is more populated than Red Storm.

Dungeon crawls sound cool.

Randomized wilderness rooms that keep shifting and changing. One of my Armageddon pet peeves is that the wilderness often feels smaller than it should be, and it's far too easy to run into the same people (like raiders...) every single time you leave a city. It gets old fast.

Quote from: cshoov on April 22, 2018, 01:13:18 PM
Searching around carefully, you find a giant boulder of sandstone twice your height that you... somehow didn't notice was there before.

> forage rock
Searching around, you uncover a giant boulder of sandstone embedded in the sands.
> l
You are surrounded by endless dunes.

One face of a giant boulder of sandstone protrudes from the sands here.

April 23, 2018, 10:14:44 AM #31 Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 10:17:42 AM by Armaddict
QuoteMake magickers great again! Instead of the unpopular kids (more unpopular than elves) everyone picks on because they can and because it's easy to do so now. If the docs say something is feared because it's freaking dangerous, it needs to be freaking dangerous. Screw 'balance'. I fell in love with Armageddon because it was unbalanced and unfair.

1)  They are definitely NOT more unpopular than elves in the current atmosphere of the game.  100% certainty.  But I can also say they should be, by all degrees of my opinion.  Elves are far easier to tolerate and have around you (they -are- around you the vast majority of the time) than wigglers.
2)  I actually agree insofar as the balancing; for me, magick was never about balancing.  Neither are the classes.  But when we bypass the social stigma for the sake of involving people in things, and that results in a degradation of mundane-participation, then I care very little for them.

There's actually a huge discussion to be had on inclusion/exclusion when level heads can prevail; I've had numerous threads where I talk about elves as 'normal', where most people would have elven acquaintances, where elves are useful...but that they still fall under that social stigma to an equal amount.  It's rarely played out this way.  Mages, in my mind, are in a similar spot where we need to find the balance of 'People associate with them, but that doesn't really give the mage much of a boon, nor empower them over the much larger population that is actually being kept docile; it's just what they do.'

I am, as always, sensitive about things dealing with the magickal side of the game and couldn't resist responding, sorry. XD
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

April 23, 2018, 10:27:59 AM #32 Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 10:31:06 AM by Akaramu
Quote from: Armaddict on April 23, 2018, 10:14:44 AM
1)  They are definitely NOT more unpopular than elves in the current atmosphere of the game.  100% certainty.  But I can also say they should be, by all degrees of my opinion.  Elves are far easier to tolerate and have around you (they -are- around you the vast majority of the time) than wigglers.

When I played (not THAT long ago), there were multiple serial killers and mage haters specifically hunting gemmed. No one was specifically targeting elves for the sake of killing elves, as far as I knew. I also have the impression that players who dislike magick on an OOC level tend to play mage killer / gem collector characters, and not just once.

People should hesitate to even attack a mage, let alone try to kill them unless they have a very specific background of knowing how magick works. But unfortunately players know OOCly how the magick code works and that they won't burst into flame when touching a mage with a sword.  ::) So, yeah, magick needs to be scary again without spending years in the Byn before manifesting. If the IG reality of magick ever matches the documentation again, I'll probably play.

But we've had that discussion before. Let's get back to stuff that could be added to the game.

Quote from: Akaramu on April 23, 2018, 10:27:59 AM
People should hesitate to even attack a mage, let alone try to kill them unless they have a very specific background of knowing how magick works.

One approach to dealing with this would be to occasionally, upon a mage's death, have some negative effect afflict a PC who kills the mage.

"Slay me you can, but you, your kin, and the soil you stand on will be cursed for a King's Age!"

An ability collector like Sylar from Heroes to the list of sorc subguilds.  Every time you defile from an incapacitated elementalist, you get one of his/her abilities at random - or maybe the most recent one used - and the elementalist dies
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

I think we all know what my position on content to add is. I'm not even gonna say it.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I'm a dreamer so: Tuluk (Jihaens included)

But less ambitious ;

-The NPC wagons and raiders. I could have sworn this was being discussed to some degree but i've never seen it. Give those poor raiders a target other than noobs who they know can't fight back because they know every character that logs in and goes outside and how many days played they have compared to them.

-I'd like to see some of the backstory of the game revealed to players whether directly or IC somehow through the landscape or current events. As time goes on I feel less and less like the game is a sweet story and more like its a hack n' slash. Combat culture has changed in the game too, i'm not sure if i'm a fan of it -- I've adapted to it basically to survive honestly.

-ADD ROOMS-

You don't need to add thousands of rooms to go too. But make some zones for raiders / rogues / organizations to find and set up shop in that don't get patrolled by 5 different PCs three times a day everyday so they have a chance.

Actually, adding wilderness rooms sounds like a good idea, if your aim is to help give raiders/grebbers/hunters a larger space so that Amos the hunter doesn't keep running into Mal the raider EVERY SINGLE TIME he leaves Allanak. A raider as active as the average hunter starts becoming such a common sight outside that its honestly kind of weird.

This would also give you an excuse to add a mining town or something like that, some sort of noble House outpost where people can store a mount and buy a piece of meat and/or a drink of water, I guess I mentioned that already. I like pitstops, but more than that I like giving merchants more reasons to trade, giving a few players some work trading bibbobs from one place to another. Allanak and Storm do fill those roles somewhat, but mostly with regards to food in my opinion, perhaps training weapons.

Maybe a free elven village with a stable and tavern. Humans don't stay overnight, but those elves make some good food. Lots of dwarves, breed and giants there, too, creating a social environment you just don't see elsewhere south of the Shield Wall.

I'm all for more pitstops, small villages, and places of refuge that seem to have found a way to survive the elements, at least for now.

Unfortunately, its kind of a hacky thing when in the game, the gith would have raided the town, or actual RAIDERS would have raided it. And if the little village CAN defend itself from these things? Allanak or Tuluk would have seized it as their own outpost.

I'm 50/50 on whether little pitstops can realistically exist, but there have got to be small tribes and villages of escaped slaves and shit.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

April 26, 2018, 03:37:55 PM #39 Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 03:45:12 PM by Eyeball
A bigger world (and bigger cities as well) certainly would help shady types and people on the run to hide out better.

Not sure if that's what the staff is looking for though. For example, some save rooms were removed from the wilderness a few years ago.

Decamping to the wilderness in general is discouraged by the "invisible territorial PC elf with amazing deadly arrows" deal.

Pitstops could exist as impermanent camps. There one month, moved somewhere else the next.

If I am in my bedroom I can hear my wife open the front door and walk through the house. Why can't listen be able to detect people entering and exiting rooms in the distance?

I SHOULD be able to hear a tembo charge in from a  distant room.

Other viewing angles. I can see critters 3 rooms to the east and three rooms to the north. But if they are one room north and one room east  -  no luck. That's stupid.
-Stoa

I wish every room could be a quit room. It's impossible to be a casual player with that crap.
-Stoa

Quote from: stoicreader on April 26, 2018, 04:18:21 PM
I wish every room could be a quit room. It's impossible to be a casual player with that crap.

You can use 'quit ooc' if you need to leave abruptly. You will want to make your way to a quit room the next time you login though, since you can't quit ooc twice in a row. (I know, I know. But I understand why they made it that way).

It would be nice if wounds show on you and by extension your corpse based on severity for a time.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on April 26, 2018, 08:12:38 PM
It would be nice if wounds show on you and by extension your corpse based on severity for a time.

I like the idea in theory but I hate the screen spam it creates, not to mention the awkwardness of the wounds ostensibly being covered with bandages or clothing. I would prefer that this kind of information be available, but only in some sort of "inspect" or "examine" command output. And maybe the basics can be available to everyone, but details appear only to those with the bandaging skill.

Tombs and ruins and the like that spawn off the same code as the animal barrows with varying threats and rewards would give a great excuse to just go tool around otherwise familiar wilderness looking around.

There's currently some areas that just aren't worth visiting more than once (Scoria, salt flats, that kinda thing) unless you're there to visit some very particular point of interest.

I had something, but I forgot it.

Oh, but here's another one: every 12 hours of RL play, you have to go to the bathroom. You don't shit your pants, but annoying echoes pop up to discourage putting it off for more than half an hour.

It seems like you'd have bathrooms for places like the Atrium and outhouses along designated points in the city. They'd be one-roomers, and another place to smoke that spice you've been sneaking around, especially if you don't have your own apartment.

Perhaps every 15 hours. That would be once every three game days at the beginning of the day. I'm not sure how often people need to eat, as it tends to vary between places I think. But fifteen hours is enough.

But its also sort of like herbs and fresh flowers rotting--- realistic, but an inconvenience. However I believe if you have long enough periods between bathroom breaks, you can turn it into a rp tool, especially for people who need to sneak off and do something unsavory or illegal. "Lord Templar, may I be excused to the outhouse?" "Alright, its a bit far, so you have two hours to walk there and back. Don't be late." "Thank you, Lord Templar." The next day, Lady Amosa is found dead in a fountain in the noble's quarter. If you attempted to do this now without any code backing it up, people would be suspicious of you. No one roleplays bathroom trips, as far as I'm aware.

A lot of what is being suggested is not "content", but merely features or coded requests.

I think the original idea of "content" was stories, roleplaying opportunities, things to DO, plots. Not "Wouldn't it be neat if"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Cind on April 27, 2018, 11:59:51 AM
I had something, but I forgot it.

Oh, but here's another one: every 12 hours of RL play, you have to go to the bathroom. You don't shit your pants, but annoying echoes pop up to discourage putting it off for more than half an hour.

It seems like you'd have bathrooms for places like the Atrium and outhouses along designated points in the city. They'd be one-roomers, and another place to smoke that spice you've been sneaking around, especially if you don't have your own apartment.

Perhaps every 15 hours. That would be once every three game days at the beginning of the day. I'm not sure how often people need to eat, as it tends to vary between places I think. But fifteen hours is enough.

But its also sort of like herbs and fresh flowers rotting--- realistic, but an inconvenience. However I believe if you have long enough periods between bathroom breaks, you can turn it into a rp tool, especially for people who need to sneak off and do something unsavory or illegal. "Lord Templar, may I be excused to the outhouse?" "Alright, its a bit far, so you have two hours to walk there and back. Don't be late." "Thank you, Lord Templar." The next day, Lady Amosa is found dead in a fountain in the noble's quarter. If you attempted to do this now without any code backing it up, people would be suspicious of you. No one roleplays bathroom trips, as far as I'm aware.

FUck yea! Or just decrease stun slightly if you "gotta go". LOVE IT!
-Stoa

Re: forced bathroom echoes - hell no.

I think, however it would be cool if, like hunger code, players actually got 'sleepy' and would be required to sleep for at least an ingame hour(10 minutes) or risk 'sleep deprivation' which could include skellebain-like hallucinations and eventually heramide-like stun loss and passing out. Perhaps a well-rested bonus could apply increasing max stun by like 10 points for its duration.

This would force people to actually find 'safe' places to sleep.. and give Story Tellers easier options to 'influence' dreams and stuff.