Ideas for Content to Add to the Game

Started by Cind, April 16, 2018, 12:58:10 AM

I would say an hour, 10 minutes, would be a bit but 5 or so wouldn't be that bad.

Eh, RPTs already span multiple days, especially combat outings. When adding things to the game we should consider whether they will actually add to the game's enjoyment, rather than become annoying burdens for the sake of a dash of questionable realism.

We're telling stories, not playing the Sims... or at least I'd like to think.

Quote from: Vox on April 27, 2018, 07:54:12 PM
Re: forced bathroom echoes - hell no.

I think, however it would be cool if, like hunger code, players actually got 'sleepy' and would be required to sleep for at least an ingame hour(10 minutes) or risk 'sleep deprivation' which could include skellebain-like hallucinations and eventually heramide-like stun loss and passing out. Perhaps a well-rested bonus could apply increasing max stun by like 10 points for its duration.

This would force people to actually find 'safe' places to sleep.. and give Story Tellers easier options to 'influence' dreams and stuff.

This is GREAT!
-Stoa

(Shake) so you can rattle something or someone from hiding and not be combat code.
Just having fun.

Hidden items that lead you deeper into an area to tell more of the story about the item.  (via other items or an npc/animation).  Though that can only be recycled so much.  And I think things like that do pop up from time to time as it is.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Easy way to add more content: Give staff freedom to create rooms/code/NPCs etc... as they please. Make it like a building sandbox for the staff.

"Staff member Amos, you're welcome to add rooms and modify the salt flats as you please. You can create areas to explore, fill it up with more plant and animal life. You can make it larger. You can code new echos and even create an entire fortress with quit rooms that PCs can use to 'hide out' or get out from the sun."

I kind of feel that the reason all the rooms remain relatively the same has to do with the staff being stifled from creative activity. When I coded and built other muds it was an extremely enjoyable process to write room descriptions, echos, connecting rooms, NPCs, clothing and weapon objects, etc... I created an entire city in my free time with triggered NPCs and even the special features of each room could be examined for more detailed descriptions. The walls in the room had torches providing light? You can look at the torches and see what material they were made from. That was a fucking BLAST to do.

In the mud I coded and built years ago we were also given an experimental "playground" where we can pre-build things and make our own world of rooms, objects, and NPCs. It was a lot of fun to be creative in that regard.
-Stoa

Quote from: stoicreader on April 28, 2018, 11:12:18 AM

"Staff member Amos, you're welcome to add rooms and modify the salt flats as you please. You can create areas to explore, fill it up with more plant and animal life. You can make it larger. You can code new echos and even create an entire fortress with quit rooms that PCs can use to 'hide out' or get out from the sun."

I thought staff was doing this? I remember an announcement about new places to explore being added to the wilderness. Not that I actually ever found them ingame...  :P

I also totes helped a staff member write a new creature at one point.

Quote from: stoicreader on April 28, 2018, 11:12:18 AM
Easy way to add more content: Give staff freedom to create rooms/code/NPCs etc... as they please. Make it like a building sandbox for the staff.

I kind of feel that the reason all the rooms remain relatively the same has to do with the staff being stifled from creative activity. When I coded and built other muds it was an extremely enjoyable process to write room descriptions, echos, connecting rooms, NPCs, clothing and weapon objects, etc... I created an entire city in my free time with triggered NPCs and even the special features of each room could be examined for more detailed descriptions. The walls in the room had torches providing light? You can look at the torches and see what material they were made from. That was a fucking BLAST to do.

In the mud I coded and built years ago we were also given an experimental "playground" where we can pre-build things and make our own world of rooms, objects, and NPCs. It was a lot of fun to be creative in that regard.

This was once true in ArmageddonMUD -- And it yielded undocumented rooms/NPCs being added, no paper trails, and no accountability. From what I gather, having rooms/NPCs/objects added isn't so much 'Red Tape' as 'Peer Review'. Working in a creative field myself, I can tell you that even having an apprentice look over the work of the master may yield a simple mistake that was overlooked. Everyone's eyes are different, see the world differently, and so can offer perspective on what you are making.

I've also seen Staff very responsive with personal echoes and world echoes that cover much of what you are talking about. As well, the onus is on us as the players to suggest ideas and typos when we see them -- I've idea'd before 'Hey, it'd be cool to  get an extra description on this mural mentioned, or this group of people discussed in the room description', and voila, an extra description was added. Staff can't possibly think of every detail, so crowdsourcing that extra detail to the player base is exactly what it seems the idea command is for.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Forced pee and poop echos would make mudsex way more exciting.

Quote from: seidhr on April 28, 2018, 11:44:57 PM

So gross. :P

I think I just sat with my face bright red and buried in both hands for a full five minutes. So terrible. Hahaha!
Smooth Sands,
Maristen Kadius, Solace the Bard, Paxter (Jump), Numii Arabet, and the rest.

Quote from: Vox on April 29, 2018, 01:05:22 AM

Quote from: WithSprinkles on April 29, 2018, 01:10:39 AM
I think I just sat with my face bright red and buried in both hands for a full five minutes. So terrible. Hahaha!

I'm offended.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

April 29, 2018, 09:41:45 AM #62 Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 02:00:50 PM by Dar
Quote from: ShaLeah on April 29, 2018, 09:09:47 AM
Quote from: Vox on April 29, 2018, 01:05:22 AM

Quote from: WithSprinkles on April 29, 2018, 01:10:39 AM

I'm offended.

I'm Intrigued!

Sometimes giving players only half of a story and leaving it there makes the world seem bigger.  I know Lost made a lot of people angry with this strategy, but here's an example I love:  one of the helpfiles mentions that the Dragon was amassing a library during its reign, but nobody has ever told us why or where.

Mysterious content that would be fun to see, and could tie into any larger story line:

• The wreckage of an absolutely enormous silt skimmer appears off the shore of Red Storm - larger than anyone's ever seen.  forage artifact might be the main tool a player could use to reveal clues as to what this was.
  • The black moon disappears from the sky.  This seems of great concern to the templarate but nobody is saying much.  Red robes are seen patrolling the streets administering magick detection tests.
  • A cave in the desert suddenly gains a lot of attention.  It's not far from where Steinal was.  Nobody (except maybe the templars organizing the expedition) knows why.  A camp is established.  Tuluk gets involved.  Is this another copper war, or something else?
  • A city elven tribe, long thought hunted out of existence, leaves its calling card in Allanak.  There are whispered rumors that a descendant of an ancient liberation alliance has emerged from hiding.  A curfew is imposed on elves and half-elves.
  • Following an unprecedented lightning storm near Allanak, an enormous, ancient obelisk rises out of the sand.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: CodeMaster on April 29, 2018, 11:55:16 AM
Sometimes giving players only half of a story and leaving it there makes the world seem bigger.

I love this. This is a big part of most of my novellas that I like to write and never show anybody.

There are a few underwear items in the game, that I see people using as normal wear items, which is cool. I always thought boot cuffs were a good idea. People usually use them to keep grit and sand out of their boots (They're kind of like seals for the top of your boots) and I've always wished we had knitting and crochet so that I could make some, and make other things too like gloves and light armor hats. We have knitting needles, but you have to rp anything else.

Having a couple of crafting halls, across the street from each other, in the witch's quarter, would solve two problems. One, it would solve the dilemma of people falsely believing that only witches have any business being in the quarter, that only witches, slaves and soldiers should be in there, that other people don't go there for work or play. Two, it would give indie merchants who have no business being outside a job niche, which they have in Storm already and it seems to work. You don't have to pay them much, as they won't have a need to buy a skimmer at some point, which is why I always thought tailors were paid decently. (Fyi, leatherworkers in Storm are lucky to break even at advanced.) One crafting hall could offer more in a workday than the other, and that other would, possibly, create an avenue towards a good job, like tailoring. This way, you don't have the odd thing of tailors going to Storm to train up before going to Kadius. This is what I assume leatherworkers in Storm are doing; training up for something else.

When I say 'crafting hall,' I hope to mean an actual hall you can craft in, but more a niche, a store to buy materials from when you then craft into items to sell back to a particular affiliated shopkeeper. Basically what's going on in Storm.

I guess what I want mostly, is for there to be more niche jobs for off-peakers who don't necessarily want to fight for a living or to leave the gates. Off-peak is real quiet most of the time, and its very hard to get a Kadian agent's mind, a Salaari's, or a noble's or aide's. If you want to be a merchant in Allanak who never leaves the gates, you need to be employed by a House. That's pretty much final right now.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I mean an _off-peak_ merchant, by the way.

I don't know of any solutions to off-peaking aiding potential, as that seems to require people quite a bit.

Perhaps jobs as servants? I've seen servants for noble Houses before, so you could always do that. Its not something to add since its already in the game, but just throwing it out there that I've seen it and its possible.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

How about:

Autopsy?  Make it a skill to find out HOW that random corpse in the dessert died? Poison? Swords? Clubs? Or maybe bite wounds?

'autopsy body'

'You crouch down and look closely at <sdesc of body>, looking for wounds and other hints at how they died.
'You notice that <sdesc of body>'s tongue has a slightly blue shade.' Now go trough your knowledge of poison, wich poison leaves the tongue blue? Ah! yes, grishen. ((Disclaimer: The poison used in this post was used as example.))

Or: 'It seems <sdesc of body> died from several large cuts'

Or: '<Sdesc of body> seems to have been killed by an animal.

Maybe even make it that, with sufficient skill, you can find out what kinda animal did it?
Quote from: nauta on February 23, 2015, 04:50:18 PM
Tek's Balls - See Utep's teeth.

If life gives you lemons, open a lemonade stand untill you make millions, invest into weapons and go to war.

What I want to see in the in the Known, by ShaLeah - a manifesto in hope and wishful thinking

• The ability to target yourself for feels, thinks and ways the same way we emote
  • The ability to target PCs for feels, thinks and ways the same way we emote
  • Mini Tulu.. err... I mean Morin's go away
  • Tuluk (God I never thought I'd say it) return revamped
  • Old school masks come back - crazy stupid expensive and rare - so that raiders get a real chance at fucking up the Known
  • More slave trade and usage
  • Sponsored roles covering all time zones - off peak Templars, nobles and GMH representation
  • Bring back hunting/protection crews to GMHs
  • Bring back House Tor
  • A proper brothel in Allanak
  • Add a spy guild
  • Add a counterfitter/master merchant guild that can copy anyone's non-magicky product and is hunted by all gmhs
  • Letting magickers in the quarter walk around with magicks on so long as they don't cast outside their temples
  • Stores in the gick quarter that sell magicky shit
  • For all stores in the gick quarter to refuse to sell to anyone not wearing a gem
  • A bar in the magicker quarter that's permanent to keep those gemmed away from good, civilized and untainted people
  • Full magicks return - by special app only. By full gicks I mean all elementals, nilazi and sorcerors - yeah, yeah, I know - I want them back anyway - the Known isn't the same without them.
  • Mindbenders that can learn anything if they make it to master - ALL guilds and subguilds - so long as they are taught by masters in whatever is being taught - don't get your panties in a bunch, the likelihood that ANY player would achieve this is pretty much NIL - but imagine if they could! teach player piercing, bender gets it added at the minimal skill level or below to their skill tree if they don't have it and the teacher is at master in it. They have to grind the fuck out of it to get it to rise. This would be the scariest thing evah. Evah. Eh-vah.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Not to the game, but to the website, I guess.

Character submissions being opened (reopened?) so that current and past lore isn't lost. There are so many tales being told and sides of each story going unheard. Even if they need to be held back until they can be properly QC'd for release (and I hope they don't get forgotten if that is the case), I would LOVE to see these things able to be shared much more regularly.

Also, the worldwide Chronology timeline is great, but it moves very slowly because these are generally huge GM storylines, I think. If there were regional, or even clan specific Chronology pages to go along with the world one, that might give a better sense of 'movement', even if the events posted have to be very big in nature to get historical note.
Smooth Sands,
Maristen Kadius, Solace the Bard, Paxter (Jump), Numii Arabet, and the rest.

Make it possible to log in as characters who have been dead or stored for more than five years. Except they appear in a foggy between-worlds kind of place, not the Known. They can chat and interact with other such characters in the same location but not fight or use the Way.

Quote from: Eyeball on May 12, 2018, 08:09:19 AM
Make it possible to log in as characters who have been dead or stored for more than five years. Except they appear in a foggy between-worlds kind of place, not the Known. They can chat and interact with other such characters in the same location but not fight or use the Way.

They would literally never have anyone to talk to or interact with because... how often would people log onto dead / stored characters instead of a living one? Maybe once out of curiosity.

Quote from: Akaramu on May 12, 2018, 09:54:30 AM
how often would people log onto dead / stored characters instead of a living one? Maybe once out of curiosity.

I'm not really sure this would be true, but anyhow, there's usually a certain percentage of players who are between characters (designing the next, waiting on an application), and a giant number of former players who might log in as an oldie just to touch base.

Quote from: Eyeball on May 12, 2018, 10:06:44 AM

I'm not really sure this would be true, but anyhow, there's usually a certain percentage of players who are between characters (designing the next, waiting on an application), and a giant number of former players who might log in as an oldie just to touch base.

They already do this on the GDB, where it's easier for staff to moderate content  :)

What I'd like to see is an option to re-read character descriptions and backgrounds from way back. No chat or interaction, just the old descriptions. That would be neat!

You can actually do that, just log into your account on the website and choose the 'biographies' tab.

All my chars since 2005 show up there with descs/backgrounds.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.