Author Topic: Staff And Player Consensus? Remove HGs from play  (Read 4482 times)

Flea

Re: Staff And Player Consensus? Remove HGs from play
« Reply #150 on: June 02, 2018, 04:53:12 AM »
A class system doesn't serve the HG concept well. They should perhaps have many skills but all journeyman at best and they have some mechanic to degrade if they are mimicing another class. They can then somewhat mimic who they are with at that time.
The first sentence of that out of context I agree with. I don't think HGs should really be able to be merchants, and the idea that they can be a ranger (knowing how to climb, shoot, ride, lead two mounts, get through storms, and recognize and deal with poisons) and an assassin also doesn't feel... right, you know what I mean? It feels like there are too many cerebreal skills on those classes, also I guess you can do what I've been doing for years and ignore half of what you get.
I'm of the opinion that half-giants have the capacity to be a little more capable than that.

I agree they shouldn't be able to craft at the same level as a merchant on their own (no elaborate and unique pieces) - but they very well should be able to mimic merchants to a certain degree. Even most 'hands-on' ranger skills (climb, shoot, ride, leading two mounts), I can see them picking up from watching others.

Direction sense does seem to be more of an innate ability than something that's easily observable - but a half-giant trying to navigate anywhere on their own sounds like a recipe for disaster, anyway. Recognizing and dealing with poisons could pretty much go anywhere, with all the finer details and specifics it requires.

According to the help files, half-giants are "observant and imitative". My take on this is that it can extend to the way they learn and pick up new skills. As long as they can mimic it in some way, they can learn it.

This is also why I think they should be able to pick up new accents faster than other races.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:55:07 PM by Flea »

CodeMaster

« Reply #151 on: June 02, 2018, 11:20:14 AM »
I always felt that being "observant and imitative" meant half-giants were more into cargo culting behaviors than acquiring them as actual skills.  Per help half-giant roleplay, "It will take them longer to figure [grammatical rules] out than it would a human, but an adult half-giant understands most."
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Flea

« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2018, 09:22:15 PM »
I'm not sure I understand? You mentioned cargo culting but quoted a line from half-giant documentation that states that half-giants understand most grammar rules (despite how much longer it takes for them to figure them out)?

In retrospect, there are a lot of intricacies to learning a new accent that a half-giant might not pick up on as easily as a human. They might know "good evening" as one thing in a southern accent and fail to recognize the phrase as such from a heavily-accented 'rinther. It was wrong of me to assume that their proclivity to observation and mimicry is some kind of superhuman ability.

Hauwke

« Reply #153 on: June 02, 2018, 09:29:33 PM »
I would personally assume a Half-giant would imitate the accent even if they dont particularly comprehend what the words being said are, Good evening and g'venen are good examples of it, one is clearly words and the other is... Well its just noises mostly and I feel it would only take a few repetitions before they realise 'this is the noise I make to say hello to these guys'.

lostinspace

« Reply #154 on: June 02, 2018, 09:34:19 PM »
My general rule for HG roleplay is I can make something if I've seen it done a time or two. Essentially no innovation, just replication. I branch the brew skill, I don't use it until someone shows me how to make something with it, then I start making that one.

This seems fine to me, and the low wis/agi tends to make me fail anyhow. I never say the line "I think I could figure out how to make it" on a HG, instead I say "Wow, how'd you make that?"
3/21/16 Never Forget

stoicreader

« Reply #155 on: June 02, 2018, 09:39:07 PM »
Like a HG has a chameleon complex?
Meh