IDEA: Do you ever wonder?

Started by ShaLeah, April 11, 2018, 03:42:16 PM

My characters wonder a lot. Except there is no wonder command so I use feel.  Most of my feels are wonders.

feel herself wonder blah blah blah.

I'd love a distinction between feel and wonder.

feel love
feel hatred
feel annoyed at such and such
feel stupid
feel like #me has to pee

wonder how #me could be so stupid
wonder if ^me Lord wants steak tonight or flame cheese
wonder if ~amos likes !me
wonder whether or not #me should tell ~templar about that thing #me heard

I like seeing you and your, it helps me feel connected to my character. I think little flavor codes like this one and the feel/think/way-emotes help realism of character which is what I play for.

Thoughts on this one?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I like this. I also sometimes run into awkwardness when I use think and feel.

How about this idea? It's from another mud.

internal (message)
This form of emote allows you to emote internal thoughts, feelings, memories, etc.

examples:

internal dice and games, drink and spice. @ fondly remember the time ~amos and ~woman danced the night away at Luirsfest. Happier days.

player sees (assuming amos and 'woman' are in the room):

Dice and games, drink and spice. You fondly remember the time the tall, muscular man and the mohawked woman danced the night away at Luirsfest. Happier days.

internal wonder if #me should tell ~templar about that theft.

You wonder if you should tell the ravishing, raven-haired woman about that theft.

Everything we can do now with think and feel would be possible with internal, as well as this 'wonder' idea, and other things besides.
It is said that things coming in through the gate can never be your own treasures. What is gained from external circumstances will perish in the end.
- the Mumonkan

Quote from: ShaLeah on April 11, 2018, 03:42:16 PM
My characters wonder a lot. Except there is no wonder command so I use feel.  Most of my feels are wonders.

That's what the "think" command is for, as far as I can tell.

think How could I be so stupid?
think Does my Lord want steak tonight or flame cheese?
think Does Amos like me?
think Should I tell Lady Templar Amosa about that thing I heard?

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I like the idea of a less 'feelsy' think command, and a less 'thinky' feel command. Because sometimes your mind just wanders and you think about scenarios that can't be felt or thought upon.

Unless you just constantly type ">feel your mind wandering to thoughts of x" which is... awkward.

I think an Internal command would be perfect for something like that.
Lizard time.

I find myself wanting to "internal considers telling the merchant the truth" or "internal realizes with a jolt that the kalan is a jozhal in disguise" pretty often.

So yes, I wonder, and consider, and realize and contemplate fairly often, and an "internal" command would make my day, personally. <3 +1

Quote from: KittenLicks on April 11, 2018, 06:33:25 PM
I find myself wanting to "internal considers telling the merchant the truth" or "internal realizes with a jolt that the kalan is a jozhal in disguise" pretty often.

So yes, I wonder, and consider, and realize and contemplate fairly often, and an "internal" command would make my day, personally. <3 +1

This I think makes more sense to me than just a "wonder" command. It's an emote - but for your own head, not for display. Just like the actual emote command doesn't show

The tressy-tressed woman emotes a wave at the tall handsome man.

an "internal" would do the exact same thing, and can easily even replace think - or be a step up from think for those who want to more fully flesh out the "voices in their heads."
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on April 11, 2018, 06:59:48 PM

This I think makes more sense to me than just a "wonder" command. It's an emote - but for your own head, not for display. Just like the actual emote command doesn't show

The tressy-tressed woman emotes a wave at the tall handsome man.

an "internal" would do the exact same thing, and can easily even replace think - or be a step up from think for those who want to more fully flesh out the "voices in their heads."

It is said that things coming in through the gate can never be your own treasures. What is gained from external circumstances will perish in the end.
- the Mumonkan

Quote from: Lizzie on April 11, 2018, 05:01:19 PM
Quote from: ShaLeah on April 11, 2018, 03:42:16 PM

That's what the "think" command is for, as far as I can tell.

think How could I be so stupid?
think Does my Lord want steak tonight or flame cheese?
think Does Amos like me?
think Should I tell Lady Templar Amosa about that thing I heard?

Meh. Could. Do. Acceptable, but.

Thinking is different than wondering though. I -think- about something at length most of the time. I wonder fleetingly. Sometimes I wonder the same thing over and over again but it's never -thinking- about it.

Is this a necessity? Nah. I work around it now, will continue to. But anything that adds immerzunz is a welcome addition. Might make people use it more too.

Quote from: Large Hero on April 11, 2018, 04:00:38 PM
I like this. I also sometimes run into awkwardness when I use think and feel.

How about this idea? It's from another mud.

internal (message)
This form of emote allows you to emote internal thoughts, feelings, memories, etc.

examples:

internal dice and games, drink and spice. @ fondly remember the time ~amos and ~woman danced the night away at Luirsfest. Happier days.

player sees (assuming amos and 'woman' are in the room):

Dice and games, drink and spice. You fondly remember the time the tall, muscular man and the mohawked woman danced the night away at Luirsfest. Happier days.

internal wonder if #me should tell ~templar about that theft.

You wonder if you should tell the ravishing, raven-haired woman about that theft.

Everything we can do now with think and feel would be possible with internal, as well as this 'wonder' idea, and other things besides.

I like it better than wonder. It'd be easier to create the right wording and mood with an internal emote that you can place yourself wherever you need to.

Then I wouldn't have to be too anal and want them to all be specified.

The scent of scrab rolls inviting you closer to ~shopkeeper, you feel nostalgia.

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

+1 internal

I have always kind of wanted a way to "dream" like you can when 'sleep'ing, but awake (daydream), and it would work for that too.  Think and Feel probably see the most tortuous use of any command from me, when trying to convey something that is neither a linguistic thought nor an emotion.

I generally go with the configuration '>feel yourself x', which allows you to pretty much use it like internal, but sometimes it's awkward, and still no emoting tags.

You feel yourself start to wonder again if Amos likes you.
You feel a dream of better days creep up on you like a thief.

It's not what 'feel' is meant for, but there isn't a good way to do it, else ATM.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 11, 2018, 07:49:16 PM
+1 internal

I have always kind of wanted a way to "dream" like you can when 'sleep'ing, but awake (daydream), and it would work for that too.  Think and Feel probably see the most tortuous use of any command from me, when trying to convey something that is neither a linguistic thought nor an emotion.

I generally go with the configuration '>feel yourself x', which allows you to pretty much use it like internal, but sometimes it's awkward, and still no emoting tags.

You feel yourself start to wonder again if Amos likes you.
You feel a dream of better days creep up on you like a thief.

It's not what 'feel' is meant for, but there isn't a good way to do it, else ATM.

+1 on the dream command
Internal would do all of it!

I don't use yourself or you on thinks and feels because I want the watcher to see what's appropriate so they know who I am speaking about.
Back in the day I've literally had people break character and be like YOU CAN'T DO THAT HOW CAN YOU SEE ME ... couldn't, now know, let me amp it up for you. :)

An internal emote command would be awesome. I like this.

HUGE +5000's to the internal emoting. It could even be incorporated into the current system as just "iemote" and something only you (or a mindworm ;)) can see.
Lizard time.