Author Topic: Songs, Poems and Languages  (Read 697 times)

Classclown

Songs, Poems and Languages
« on: April 05, 2018, 06:49:42 PM »
This is probably a very random topic, but I've been thinking about it for years.
If we're technically not speaking English ig, should our songs and poems still
rhyme in English? I've done that forever, since I started playing, but then I
got to thinking.

What if the word dead, for instance, doesn't rhyme with head
in Sirihish? If I said sports car, in Sirihish, would that just translate
to very fast chariot?

Everything we say, we say 'in whatever language', Bendune, Cavilish,
etc...

Technically we could say whatever we wanted, since that would just translate to
that language's equivalent. Right?

And no, I haven't been smoking weed. Also, feel free to make up Zalanthas equivalents to modern day terms.

Phone sex = Way kanking

sleepyhead

Re: Songs, Poems and Languages
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 07:20:45 PM »
I usually figure it's just a "singable translation," as in an approximation. Those are often pretty good IRL! However, when I translate rhyming things from one IG language to another (aka Bendune to Sirihish), I often change it slightly so it doesn't rhyme, or RP that my character has trouble trying to make the translation rhyme even though I could easily just use the same words OOCly.

Classclown

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 07:50:29 PM »
That makes sense, plus not actually knowing the words of the languages kind of makes it hard to know which words would rhyme in them.

Pale Horse

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 10:08:38 PM »
I don't try to make things "not make sense" because it's not, really, English.

We're playing a game that's written in English and it is through the English-Window that we see and interpret the world and everything Zalanthan.

Altering some things to better fit what we think of as "Zalanthan" is just fine, but if we alter it too much, it'll hit that English-Window like a bird traveling at 20 mph and make an awful mess, making it all the harder for someone on the other end of the screen to get what's going on.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Riev

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 09:24:23 AM »
If you're singing in Mirukkim, it had better be Norwegian Death Metal or nothing at all.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.