Author Topic: your approach to npc animation  (Read 522 times)

Khorm

your approach to npc animation
« on: April 02, 2018, 08:50:57 PM »
how do you all approach this? is it your job to familiarize yourself with the boss npcs or interaction npcs or "quest-giver" npcs?

do they all have little bio entries that you take a look at? do you practice in the mirror before you animate?

i've seen some really impressive scenes from staff members animating npcs, and I've always wondered about methods for getting into the role. it usually takes me a few days of play to really get into my character's skin, so i'm curious about your own techniques. cross-staff animation especially, keeping the npc in-character from sanvean to the new guy.
Her head is average.

Ayomai

• Storyteller
Re: your approach to npc animation
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 05:06:42 AM »
Hi! I'm a new imm!

I'll try to answer this anyway. I do have a few animations on my belt. They're probably not really impressive however. Some NPC personalities makes it hard for me to get into, some comes naturally to me because I am more experienced with those types. I think animations are easier for me than PCs, however, because animations means short scenes, reacting to certain situations. With PCs, there's no knowing what kind of situations you're going to end up in, but for me, when I animate scenes, I kind of know where I'm going with this.

Thank goodness we have short blurbs on NPCs regarding their personalities, backgrounds, and interests! Otherwise, it's really up to your own interpretation.