Author Topic: New book cover reveal!  (Read 993 times)

Lizzie

Re: New book cover reveal!
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2018, 06:55:28 PM »
The description of the story is incredibly YA. In the same way Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children is YA. It appears designed very specifically with young adults in mind, but can be just as entertaining to older adults, and has some underlying adult themes threaded through it.  Whether that was intended is not the issue. It's what you'll end up with that matters most.  The second cover appears very YAish. The first appears very romanceish. I personally like the second cover better because I, like many older adults, can still appreciate some of the YA novels (Harry Potter, Peregrine's, etc). This would catch my eye. The first one, I'd likely dismiss without even reading the blurb.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Akaramu

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2018, 07:30:56 PM »
I've already asked the artist to modify the first draft, so the second is out of the equation, but I think the modified version will turn out great and I'll post it here when it's done  :). I'd really rather not target 13 year old girls who'll cry their eyes out whenever I kill one of my characters. My books are really kinda sorta dark... or did you think Transition & Escalation would fit into YA?

The Bibliosanctum blog said this, which is why I'm trying to avoid the YA tag...

"Rising’s storytelling and worldbuilding was excellent. But it is very much a New Adult story, which may be a bit of a turn-off for some readers."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 07:33:43 PM by Akaramu »

Akaramu

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2018, 07:53:49 PM »
Actually, I JUST received the updated version... is this better? Imho the thumbnail version in particular looks much better. No more hula hoop.

Grapes

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 08:25:42 PM »
I like the updated version, but I also liked the butt version. I don't feel qualified to criticize.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

James de Monet

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2018, 09:14:42 PM »
Your artist is crazy Photoshop talented.  She does things I would never, because they wouldn’t turn out well, but she makes it work.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2018, 09:18:10 PM »
I have no idea what type of cover sells well. But I know I personally prefer more abstract and plain designs like symbols or color patterns. I've never been a fan of pictures with people or landscapes in them as they might clash with my vision of a character or atmosphere.

This is the kind of UF cover that sells best - what really matters, especially for a relatively unknown author, is something that 'pops out' at thumbnail size on the Amazon store. People click things that pop out. They'll also click abstract covers, but generally ONLY if they know and like the author.

That makes sense, considering those are the sorts I see most on books. In that case I think they're probably perfect. They are clean, interesting, colorful. You found a good artist.

I think the updated one is the best.

Pale Horse

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2018, 09:33:52 PM »
That's a very nice cover, there.  Props to your artist!
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Akaramu

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2018, 05:28:59 PM »
Final final final version...

Grapes

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2018, 08:03:36 PM »
Ah, that's cool, it still has the overall ring without a campy fixation on the butt. The enhanced contrast really works well, imo.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2018, 07:28:35 AM »
Definitely looks awesome.