Author Topic: Staff Ban Policy  (Read 427 times)

Jeax

Staff Ban Policy
« on: March 31, 2018, 07:52:57 AM »
I am not aware of any public disclosure of a ban policy, so I figured I would ask here if there is a policy around not what merits a ban (as I know there is not one of those) but rather how a ban is to be performed by Staff. For example, if Staff User A wants to ban for a situation, is it required that it be:

Discussed or approved by anyone?
Documented somewhere or placed as an account note?
Within a certain amount of time from the issue (as in, is it acceptable to ban for something that happened 3, 6, 12 months ago)?
Communicated to the user?

If none of these were true, I would be concerned as that would mean you could theoretically do a private and uncommunicated ban for anything you wanted at any time you wanted. Is that the actual situation or is there a hard policy somewhere?

Assuming there is some sort of policy, what happens if policy is not followed on a ban?

While I know there are no policies dictating everything that happens like there would be for a game company, for example, I believe that even in a MUD bans should be treated very seriously and would be deserving of something that everyone is aware of in this area, which is why I have raised it here.

seidhr

• Administrator
Re: Staff Ban Policy
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 06:01:21 PM »
Generally speaking, bans are agreed upon by multiple staff, documented in an account note, communicated to the user.  Sometimes one of these isn't possible for some reason or another.  I don't think you really have anything to worry about that some rogue staff is out there ghosting people under the radar.  Everything that anyone (including staff) types into the game(like setting the flag on someone's account that they are banned) is logged.  This is auditable by any other Administrator or Producer.

Brokkr

• Administrator
Re: Staff Ban Policy
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 07:54:26 PM »
We have taken a different tack which does not box us in to formulaic solutions.  Our approach is based more on transparency and gaining agreement on an appropriate course of action.  This is coupled with trust that is extended to folks that have the ability to actually undertake these actions.