Limit 'skills' to show aptitude levels once a week? A day?

Started by Eyeball, March 28, 2018, 10:12:45 AM

I've been working hard not to type 'skills' after every fight and so on, but the temptation is always there.

Instead of setting skills to "brief" (which always leaves the option of switching that back off), what if the 'skills' command would only display aptitude levels once a week, and then only if an option is selected? Or once a day, if that's too long to wait? The rest of the time, it would just provide the list of skills.

The temptation would be gone.

What is so wrong about submitting to temptation?

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

For me, every time I type 'skills' I'm effectively stepping outside of my character. Ideally I should focus on the IC flow and not be concerned with the rate of skills advancement.

So, don't. Keybind the "skills" command to something else.

Quote from: Delirium on March 28, 2018, 06:24:13 PM
So, don't. Keybind the "skills" command to something else.

Does putting a note atop a cookie jar that says 'don't eat these' work for you, or do you remove the note and have a cookie anyhow?

From these replies, I guess people feel that spamming "skills" is perfectly fine. Huge contrast the the original debate, where some held that seeing your skill levels at all was a grave faux pas.

If the skills command spammability is reduced in any way, I'm leading a slave rebellion and overthrowing the yoke of my oppressors.

Quote from: surveyvon on March 28, 2018, 06:24:28 PM
alias skills think Focus

I love this.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

"alias skills think Focus." is an amazing way to get around that indeed. ;)

Alternatively, you could just enable brief skills. That won't show skill levels. Only the skills themselves.
Lizard time.

Personally I'd be happy if we didn't have the actual skill levels but instead, this:

Skills
You have these skills...(and the list, with no level descriptives).

But..if you do something and improve - you get an echo saying...

You sense some improvement in your ability to chop muthafuckas up with bone swards.

or at the very least:

You are confident that you are now good enough at mani-pedis that you could design your own nail polish color.
(for master manicurist skill).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

skills

ETA: What are you on about? Why? No, that is just bad, straight up bad, there is no need to dampen the utility of typing "skills" for anyone, except you, so, just, don't type skills if you don't want to see it.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Brief skills. Doesn't show skill levels.

A new code idea.

I literally mentioned brief skills in the second sentence of the OP? It's like a note atop a cookie jar. If you want a cookie, it's not going to deter you very much.

Another way to implement this then would be a timer. "Skills lock lock lock" and it won't show aptitudes for a day. The those who want to use the command a lot can, and those who want to set aside the distraction can.

Im not sure I see the problem, sorry. If you have the willpower to not say and do completely random things IG, then you have the willpower to not input a command. But, if you dont have that willpower, then just do all of the things mentioned and each step will stop you for a while longer during each session.

I'm with hauwke on this, the easiest way to not have your immersion broken by your skills list, is to simply not type skills.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

The problem with this, in my opinion, is you're suggesting a code change for a personal issue. An issue that has multiple other options besides restricting the gameplay of other people.

A few years ago we didn't even SHOW skill levels. If you don't like it, you can turn them off. I'm against restricting it further because you have a personal twitch to constantly check them. If you can't stay immersed in your character when typing skills, don't type skills, or learn how to deal with forcing yourself to stay in character.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I just use skill command to flood my screen.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: Riev on March 29, 2018, 09:16:00 AM
The problem with this, in my opinion, is you're suggesting a code change for a personal issue. An issue that has multiple other options besides restricting the gameplay of other people.

A few years ago we didn't even SHOW skill levels. If you don't like it, you can turn them off. I'm against restricting it further because you have a personal twitch to constantly check them. If you can't stay immersed in your character when typing skills, don't type skills, or learn how to deal with forcing yourself to stay in character.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

"Have willpower".  ;D  I'm glad you people have solved the world's problems with procrastination, diets and exercise in two words. Why didn't anyone think of that?

But I'm willing to accept that I'm the only one who sees any utility in this suggestion.

I like to see the level listed to help me RP as best I can to the PC's current ability. A novice bash might be presented with far less cool "rushing in", than an advanced move, feinting and lifting up with a shoulder at the right time etc. Typing SKILLS has let me oocly see the vast difference in benefits of a high Wisdom score. Also like the echo idea. Thankfully I usually start my play with Stat, Score, Time, inventory, equipment and finally skills to see where I am IG. Eyeball, I love to read your posts and thank you for how dedicated to rockin this game you are!
PS. Totally going "Cookie Monster" class/guild when the new stuff is added!

Quote from: Eyeball on March 29, 2018, 12:53:31 PM
"Have willpower".  ;D  I'm glad you people have solved the world's problems with procrastination, diets and exercise in two words. Why didn't anyone think of that?

But I'm willing to accept that I'm the only one who sees any utility in this suggestion.

Frankly, having willpower is how you DO solve procrastination and diets and exercise. Its simple, but we're in an age that demands instant satisfaction through technology.

I don't believe you're the ONLY ONE who wants this. I just think there are other options available to you. Don't tell me I can't buy a large drink, because you don't want to go on a diet.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Hey man, I'm a proponent for going back to no skill visibility whatsoever, but people have gotten attached to seeing them, for better or worse.

For what it's worth, even then you still typed skills habitually.  It started as 'Did I branch yet?' and turned into habit.  Less prevalent, but still there.  The game behavior around visible skills is blatant and obvious to me, and I don't like it, but like I said...

Most people, in this regard, will fully and stubbornly cling to the levels and tell you it's your own problem.  Don't feel the slightest bit guilty about watching those levels like a hawk and making [master] beside each your personal achievement goal.  It's what everyone else is doing right now.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger