Author Topic: How to Engage and Excite the GDB  (Read 152 times)

Brokkr

• Administrator
How to Engage and Excite the GDB
« on: March 21, 2018, 07:59:36 PM »
I've done a few things, like the Discord Chat and posting feedback you gave, in order to try to keep the rest of the playerbase not active in this forum engaged and hopefully excited about the new Classes.

I thought I would solicit things that might make sense for me to post on the GDB from you, whether it be more feedback or something different.

There are some things I would prefer not to post, like the guild help files.  I do intend to post them here before the general public, I just intend to wait until I am fairly sure there won't be (many) changes to them before the go live.  And right now there are are some tweaks that need to be made.

Fahrenheit

Re: How to Engage and Excite the GDB
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 02:58:46 AM »
I think it might be fun to do something like this:

Do you want to build a staircase with the bones of your enemies and climb it to glory?

You can still do that.

Do you want to slip into the sands and disappear like a hunting spider?

You can still do that.

Do you want to mix the two?

Now you can!

Do you want to craft things with your main guild, but still be able to step outside the gates and not immediately die from touching sand?

Now you can!

Etc.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 03:02:33 AM by Fahrenheit »
You should not see the desert simply as some faraway place of little rain. There are many forms of thirst.
-William Langewiesche

Master Sandwich

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 01:06:08 PM »
I'd personalize each new class with a personal narrative of a character from each class. Similar to the trend of some of the new recruitment threads on the GDB (https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,53368.0.html and https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,53524.0.html). Create a unique character for each class, each with their own background, personality, telling their brief story on the GDB. Each character would be an archetype of each class.

After posting their stories, include a general summary of each class with as much about the skills or abilities of each, as well as where each class tends to fit into Zalanthas. This would be something comparable to the help file, including as much information as possible.

Designate a staff member or two who'll be authorized to engage posters on the GDB. They'll answer questions, express their excitement and and staff goals and staff's basic vision with what this change will do for the game. This will help players understand staff's reasoning behind the changes and help them understand what's trying to be achieved.

Van

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 03:30:14 AM »
Announce a coming HRPT with a Special Role call with the option to use one of these new Guilds. Like a hand full of roles specifically designed to cater to a certain new class.

The HRPT could be a ways off and the characters would be set up to take part in it some how. Don't make them secret spy characters like last time, instead more facilitators and leaders.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 11:55:34 PM »
Fahrenheit, if you want to write something up as a framework, we could try to make suggestions as a community effort and post it.

Master Sandwich, I'm not necessarily up for writing all those myself.  But if there are player testers that would want to write and post one here for their class, we can look at posting some.  I'd just want to stay away from putting too much about specific skills (as they are still subject to change) in the stories.

Van, HRPT's happen due to events in the game.  Classes are sort of an OOC construct, so wouldn't want to start blending IC/OOC in that manner.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 05:06:46 AM »
I personally think we should just start releasing information on the Guilds.  Maybe the help files but not the skills.  Think of this as a Dev Blog of sorts where you can go over what your feelings for each of the Guild and the intent.  Of course covering that Guilds are OOC constructs are important and that the idea is to be a baseline that can then be augmented by Sub-guilds.

I have talked with it a bit when I was playing and I think that it has gone over well.  I think people will get a better idea of them when they start seeing hard information.  Of course always states that everything is subject to change for balancing purposes.

I have some other ideas, but I'll ping you off board on those.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"