Genie in a bottle - Grant me one wish.

Started by ShaLeah, March 19, 2018, 04:55:52 PM

If you had ONE wish to be granted by staff that you think would make the game better,  what would it be?

One wish and one wish only.

Please don't berate others wishes.  I'm just crazy curious if it'll be the same ones.

I'll start.

My wish is that magicks would go back to how they were. Alllll of them. 
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Convert all items/rooms/NPCs into a public database in which updates could be submitted and approved by the community and posted live.

Also make a web based submission tool for new items/NPCs/rooms that can be pushed live.

....Maybe that's not a MUD anymore
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I want Bash Door.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

Equal content addition to subtraction. The pendulum seems to be swinging this way already, so my genie bottle is better than yours.  8)
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

A hostile nation of some sort that's beyond/within the silt sea and sends raiders/pirates out to harass settlements.  Occasional option to fill a special application or Staff appointed roll call to play as part of a crew.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on March 19, 2018, 06:01:47 PM
A hostile nation of some sort that's beyond/within the silt sea and sends raiders/pirates out to harass settlements.  Occasional option to fill a special application or Staff appointed roll call to play as part of a crew.

Similarly, any hostile nation at all that can host PCs. Our numbers are looking bretty gut these days and we're not far from sustaining two major city-states, especially if satellites are reduced some. Basically right now if you are involved in PvP it's largely criminal in some regard or the other. If your victim escapes, enjoy banishment life. Be nice to be able to get some gud fights o7 without having to lock someone in an apartment for fear of social reprisals.

I think it would be awesome to have Tuluk turn outwardly hostile to the Known World. Staff could load up soldiers on occasion that are aggressive to people they come across on their patrols (unless your PC has the tattoos) and staff could sometimes animate a Templar and direct these soldiers to patrol lands claimed by Tuluk! The city and the clans might be closed, but they're still a threat to the civilized south ;)
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Elf ninja clan.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

March 19, 2018, 06:40:48 PM #8 Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:42:48 PM by sleepyhead
I want nilazi back, whether subguilded or full-guilded, but I feel like that was already covered by ShaLeah's wish.

I just wish staff would worry less about favoritism and more about blowing our minds with cool and unique stuff/storylines. I think that there was a lot of gross favoritism at one time, and staff have done a lot of admirable things since then to crack down on it and dispel our notions of staff pets or whatever. Now I think we could relax things a bit more. I hear so many cool stories from before my time, and they just don't seem like something that would ever happen now, and I think much of that is because staff are worried about being accused of giving their girlfriends perks or something. There were good things and bad things about that era, and I think we can borrow from the good while learning from the bad.

I wish I won 500 million on the powerball. I would donate 25k a year to keep a paid staffer.

Failing that, I would take bash door.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: Bushranger on March 19, 2018, 06:09:44 PM
I think it would be awesome to have Tuluk turn outwardly hostile to the Known World. Staff could load up soldiers on occasion that are aggressive to people they come across on their patrols (unless your PC has the tattoos) and staff could sometimes animate a Templar and direct these soldiers to patrol lands claimed by Tuluk! The city and the clans might be closed, but they're still a threat to the civilized south ;)

I wish that the glass ceiling would be raised. Not that certain heights would be common - just achievable without storage.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Quote from: The Lonely Hunter on March 19, 2018, 08:03:45 PM
I wish that the glass ceiling would be raised. Not that certain heights would be common - just achievable without storage.

Yeah, definitely. To me this is a big part of my own suggestion.

I remember it was mentioned in another thread after Tuluk closed, but I would love to see Tuluk open as a large city ruins, where raiders, rogues, escaped slaves and bandits go to claim a home. There could be fearsome beasts, strange underground humanoids, all kinds of adventure. There could be treasures buried under the mounds of collapsed stone to find, so that folks would want to go there. I think it would add a lot to the world to have a big city ruins that was a playable place.
Not all who wander are lost
-Gandalf the Grey-
Quote from: Lizzie on November 09, 2018, 12:42:11 PM

But - would like to see random bits of brain matter among the pools of blood. That'd be cool.

full magicker guilds back, subguilds can stay.
3/21/16 Never Forget

genies
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

They'd probably be more like The Wishmaster and less like Robin Williams in Aladdin. That, actually, would be pretty cool.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

If you die within a certain time frame with family roles you can have a do over.
Just like the white winged dove,
Sings a song
Sounds like she's singing
Oooo,ooo, ooo

Add a third subguild option and let people choose three subguilds if they want, instead of only one main guild plus a subguild. With the caveat that if they choose an elemental subguild, any subsequent mage-based subguild must be of the same element.

So they could pick krathi-agressor and krathi-touched, plus thug.

Or vivaduan healer plus vivaduan water-maker, plus scavenger.

And yes bring back scavenger!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

March 19, 2018, 09:19:18 PM #19 Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:20:16 PM by Melkor
https://youtu.be/p1s2CG2ZDS4

..... I initially rewrote this song's lyrics to include my wishes... It was so cringy, I just couldnt post it. xD

Monetize the GDB's clicks. (If that wouldnt go against DIKU's licensing agreement)
Pay for gaming review channels to boost our numbers. Attack of the newbs for a few months.
Take on new staff. Volunteers should work a couple days a week, and rotate.
Unban all of the peoples. New staff will take care of problem people after they squander second chances.
Use the influx of players to reopen everything. Tuluk. Smaller houses. Gith. Mantis.
Create a room+item building tool.
Focus on world expansion, down, east, and south.

The chaos that would ensue would be very entertaining, much more-so than controlled monotony.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Every once in a while, have an RPT that doesn't start in the middle of the night if you're in the EU.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

#1 Red fangs :)
If not that, almost any other delf tribe outside the Pah.
If not that then see #2

#2 Playable gith tribe.

A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Truth be told. If staff were to create a second version of the forums/website/etc, but one filled with advertisement. Something that players would actually require an extra step to enter. I would've loved to use it to provide some revenue that staff could spend on improving the game somehow, or offsetting costs.   So anyone entering Arm's websites normally, would enter the one we're entering now. But someone who wants it enough can enter it via a different address, just to get all those extra ads. Would this be something viable?

Add utility to the more niche guilds rather than nerfing the ones that do well. I'll try not to be too specific here.

I'd just wish for staff have less workload to get their own ideas and plots into the game. Working around the code, other staff, the players, and their own lives must be pretty exhausting sometimes.

March 20, 2018, 07:28:41 AM #25 Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:36:47 AM by Eyeball
Give PCs more to spend their coin on than booze, spice and clothes/gear/furnishings. Land (beyond apartments) and NPC hirelings comes to mind, even if the cost is enormous, having them available in some sort of automated way would remove a huge barrier. Recruit a builder to support it if none of the existing staff want to deal with that.

Give greed some outlets and plots will be generated.

Aging penalties are ridiculously punative and unrealistically harsh, and I'd like to see that improved to encourage more people to play long-lived PCs without storing or suiciding.

Quote from: ShaLeah on March 19, 2018, 04:55:52 PM
My wish is that magicks would go back to how they were. Alllll of them.

THIS. And not just because ShaL said it, this has been my heartfelt wish ever since I played one of the new elemenentalists one and a half years ago.  :'(

I'd be happy with the full magick guilds just having been made subguilds with no further changes.

Just one wish?

One genie-wish to improve Arm?

I wish that Armageddon Staff, as an organization, would treat themselves as such and not some local Rotary Club or social group that "volunteers to do good works" for the players of the game. Standards, Expectations, and consequences for negative or harmful behavior.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 20, 2018, 04:49:53 AM
I'd just wish for staff have less workload to get their own ideas and plots into the game. Working around the code, other staff, the players, and their own lives must be pretty exhausting sometimes.
Staffing has actually been pretty awesome. We have work we enjoy and the climate is very supportive of creativity. It's not like working alone because there must be communication and accountability, but I and I believe staff as a whole are enjoying the work and the game a lot. We hope all the players are as well.
Can we count this as 1 wish granted?
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

Give Helper player's PC's a chance to jump into start room in NPC avatars to guide newbies oocly. (by quitting their actual characters)
We know that retention is very critical and each new player is valuable. This would improve their curve.

Quote from: najdorf on March 20, 2018, 10:54:25 AM
Give Helper player's PC's a chance to jump into start room in NPC avatars to guide newbies oocly. (by quitting their actual characters)
We know that retention is very critical and each new player is valuable. This would improve their curve.

This would actually be pretty awesome, too.

Look down. All toxic attitudes and worst assumptions have been left at the door.

Back up. Everyone is now positive, willing to work with each other, and assumes the best intentions.

Where are we? The game is cut-throat, but the playerbase is not.

March 21, 2018, 06:56:01 AM #34 Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:06:39 AM by tapas
Don't whine about the loss of good faith.

Create systems that encourage and generate good faith rather than punish it.

My genie wish goes for players AND staff.

Magick thunderdome. People can be taught sorcery by sorcerers, people can opt-in to have a small chance to randomly manifest as an Elementalist, can also choose just to be an Elementalist. No guild restrictions on magickers, you are a magicker on top of your guild/subguild choice instead of either-or.