Knives Becoming Cooking Implements

Started by Cind, March 16, 2018, 02:24:38 AM

I think all or most knives should become cooking implements. They would be, to a city-dweller who made their own meals, and would give meaning to the fact that those npcs and some non-hunting pcs wear knives on their belts. Right now, if you're wearing footwraps, a black cloak, and a knife on your belt, a soldier could realistically search you for taint. In reality, people should have more uses for knives, and more use for that one belt knife besides selling it for its unusually high price on Miner's Road.

While most uses for a knife (like hair trimming, etc.) probably wouldn't be considered, I thought cooking might be. With Tuluk being closed, there just aren't many cooking tools around. You have to make one (after finding the right materials), have someone make one for you, or settle for a flavor object which doesn't help your cooking. In an outpost or village, that's a feasible set of options, but in Allanak its fairly silly.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

yep.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

The category 'cooking' tool is for pans, pots, or places upon which you cook a thing in or on. While I'm sure you can holds a spoon over a fire to cook a thing, it's not exactly the intended purpose of a spoon - feel free to WISH ALL and let us know you're trying as much and we can have the world act appropriately in that off case.

Utensils are however beneficial to have on hand while cooking, as it may make the process of cooking easier.

There are 'belt knives' and things like this sold in the game. I think if a soldier sees you sporting a pair of vicious looking longknives...Yeah. Those things are like the size of a forearm and meant to kill people. But I also don't really see Soldiers searching people just because they're wearing knives, it's usually part of a get up that also looks dubious, or they're wearing a hood in a bar during the day, or just generally being shady, or they got a tip about someone with your description...

People do have more uses for knives. I constantly use knives to shave spice, to cut fruit, and otherwise RP using a belt knife to perform these functions. I don't see what the actual problem is, as I see most people do the same, and don't react to drawn knives or knives in general as The Tool of an Assassin, only.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

I'll sometimes emote a virtual knife or plate when I eat.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

If it's just a problem with finding cooking utensils, you might want to check your local tool shop.  I think almost every settlement has something for sale regularly that works, and there's easy to find materials for a crafting recipe that works, too.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Why would a knife help you cook meat better?

Emote with it, you don't need the code police there for every damn thing.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

March 17, 2018, 06:26:05 AM #8 Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:27:38 AM by Inks
Quote from: Grapes on March 17, 2018, 01:03:53 AM
Emote with it, you don't need the code police there for every damn thing.

You can use a knife now for this it doesn't matter if it has a coded advantage or not. Just sayit is your kitchen knife. There is a couple of kitchen knives as well.

Quote from: Fernandezj on March 16, 2018, 08:54:45 PM
Why would a knife help you cook meat better?

Functions as a spatula, fork, and you can cut the meat to assess how done the middle is.

New dwarf focus: Make everyone bald.

He loves scissors and knives, and also is not very smart.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

That would be really funny if done properly.

On topic, a knife is an implement that assists in cooking, but only in the same was a good quality spatula does, the quality of the flipping or cutting tool has no impact on the actual quality of the cooking, thats the pots or pans you are using that does that.

Quote from: Hauwke on March 17, 2018, 08:38:09 PM
That would be really funny if done properly.

On topic, a knife is an implement that assists in cooking, but only in the same was a good quality spatula does, the quality of the flipping or cutting tool has no impact on the actual quality of the cooking, thats the pots or pans you are using that does that.

Well - to stretch it just a wee bit - using a cracked bone dagger to shave a carru steak efficiently enough to make jerky, should be more troublesome and less successful than using a short-handled razor-sharp obsidian knife.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

God we're nerds.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant