Information Brokers

Started by Melkor, March 07, 2018, 01:08:49 PM

March 07, 2018, 01:08:49 PM Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:00:11 PM by Melkor
I think that an IC source of information such as an NPC Information Broker would be far more beneficial to the gaming environment than a jarring OOC rumor board, accessible IG.

Ask broker <What do you know about {x}>

Ask broker "What do you know about {The Byn/Byn/T'zai Byn/Bynners}

The information broker replies: "I know enough, for a few sid."

<give 10 coin broker>

The Information broker replies: {A set message to be relayed by someone who "informed" the information broker.} For example:
broker: "I hear that the Byn are located off of the Road of Slaves. Sergeant Amos is recruiting, these days."
"I also hear rumors that Sergeant Amos is a Spice addict"
etc.

This allows another function: Inform.
Inform broker about <tags>
Broker: "What do you know?"
inform broker <message to be relayed>

Maybe when you are informing, there is an echo about you speaking quietly with the broker.

Basically, its the Rumor Board, but handled in a more interesting, IC way.
Thoughts?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

I think it would make a better supplement than a replacement. Consider this, for whatever reason, demons invade and the Gaj explodes. This is something you would NOT need an information broker to tell you, because it's big enough that you almost certainly would have heard of it virtually.

As a supplemental idea, I think it's awesome. Smaller things like, stonecrafter amos has been seen moping about, having been fired from Kadius and spent his last few coins on booze and needs whatever work he can get.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

I think so, too :)

Maybe something small, and unspecific like that could be accessed by asking the broker about "Gossip"

Gossip being a list of goings-on that erases after a couple IG weeks.

Maybe just update the gossip and discuss scripts on various NPCs/Bartenders and have them require a bit of a donation for any rumors. Heard that rumor already? Oh well.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Two code-light suggestions that might meet the criteria in OP:

1. Change the ldesc/sdesc of the rumor board objects to 'a group of filthy gossips are here gossiping about filthy gossip'.  Did you know that we can use 'listen rumor' rather than 'read rumor' already?  This would remove the jar of a board object, although at this point 27 years on its kind of one of those meta-traditions of ArmageddonMUD, an homage to our DIKU roots!

2. Move certain boards (or all boards) into a room that you have to use the current 'rent' code to access.  Want some rumors?  It's in the back with the filthy gossiper Brunhilda, but it'll cost you seven sid.

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I'm down with Nauta's suggestions, if and only if because it means you have to "pay" to get people talking about the new rumor you're posting, too.

Its always felt weird junking 50 coins to the Bartenders to "help spread the rumor" when that's not really how it works.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Agreed. Information brokers traffic in information... They would not charge you for giving them a marketable commodity.

Pay your sneaky elves for information.  Send them after information.  DO EEEET.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger